Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

What to pre-order [in longhaul business class]?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to pre-order [in longhaul business class]?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2016, 2:39 am
Accor 10+ BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor ALL Platinum
I also have an upcoming AY89 flight and have the same problem: can't see the menu on MMB. I asked AY and was told the menu is this:

Appetizer

Roast beef, tartar sauce, spinach and nutmeg

or

Cucumber and dill soup, yogurt and tartar of cold smoked salmon

Main course

Menu 1
Pike-perch terrine, chanterelle sauce and potato with lemon

Menu 2
Pressed beef neck, celeriac puree, herb butter and spring vegetables

Menu 3
Fiorelli pasta, tomatoes, mozzarella ja garlic sauce

Cheeses from Finnish small producers:
Peltolan Blue and Viinitarhuri, strong matured milk cheese, rhubarb jam

Dessert

Selection of cupcakes
Finnish organic Jymy ice cream, vanilla or licorice
Coffee or tee, avec
Old Apr 9, 2016, 2:53 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Originally Posted by wkndtraveler
I also have an upcoming AY89 flight and have the same problem: can't see the menu on MMB. I asked AY and was told the menu is this:
Great, thx no neat to pre-order one of the special meals out of HEL.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 1:59 pm

New Meals designed for you menu

If you, like me, haven’t tried yet the Meals designed for you menu that includes chili marinated prawns, herb seasoned bratwurst sausages, and the (in)famous roasted fillet of reindeer, hurry up. You still have time to try but only until the end of September. Finnair is finally changing the menu. The new Meals designed for you menu from September 28 onwards is:

Wellness and energy
* Honey and sesame marinated fried tofu with red rice, almonds and Brussels sprouts

Food lover’s treat
* Grilled whitefish with carrot puree, asparagus, poached spinach and zucchini

Chef’s gourmet
* Overcooked reindeer entrécote, barley risotto, porcini, roasted artichoke and thyme sauce

https://www.finnair.com/fi/gb/inform...business-class
Old Jul 13, 2016, 2:14 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
...Finnair is finally changing the menu.
Earth is shaking underneath me...
Now anything can happen.

Just from reading, none of these appeal to me, but I am eagerly awaiting the judgement from fellow travellers.

Last edited by intuition; Jul 13, 2016 at 2:19 pm
Old Jul 13, 2016, 3:04 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Like intuition writes above, earth is really shaking..for me too...as for my next weeks' long haul I'm seriously considering of giving the current reindeer another try after many years..as so many seem to like it today..

Anyway, good news they are changing the menu, finally! ^
Old Jul 13, 2016, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Chef’s gourmet
* Overcooked reindeer entrécote, barley risotto, porcini, roasted artichoke and thyme sauce
I thought that you had written that as an ironic comment on the usual problem with the dish but, no, they do actually explicitly state "overcooked" on the page.
So, now we know: we can no longer complain when the reindeer dish is overcooked: they explicitly told us in advance that it would be.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 3:35 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by NickB
I thought that you had written that as an ironic comment on the usual problem with the dish but, no, they do actually explicitly state "overcooked" on the page.
So, now we know: we can no longer complain when the reindeer dish is overcooked: they explicitly told us in advance that it would be.
My thoughts exactly Finally AY marketing gives us an honest description of something.

Oh, and NoWindowSeat, please do try the reindeer that they currently offer. It's delicious IMHO and you can always mention to the crew that you'll appreciate it if they don't overcook it. Has worked for me.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 7:36 pm

Programs: AFKL PLT, BA Gold, SK Gold, AY Gold, A3 Silver, LH FTL, IHG Gold, Marriott Silver
If you, like me, haven’t tried yet the Meals designed for you menu that includes chili marinated prawns, herb seasoned bratwurst sausages, and the (in)famous roasted fillet of reindeer, hurry up. You still have time to try but only until the end of September. Finnair is finally changing the menu. The new Meals designed for you menu from September 28 onwards is:

Wellness and energy
* Honey and sesame marinated fried tofu with red rice, almonds and Brussels sprouts

Food lover’s treat
* Grilled whitefish with carrot puree, asparagus, poached spinach and zucchini

Chef’s gourmet

https://www.finnair.com/fi/gb/inform...business-class
How long did they had the current three choices? I'm guessing that it's been about ten years or so...didn't they start this whole Meals Designated for You in 2006? Great that they are finally changing the menu, although none of these options really tempt me to try them.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 9:37 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Menu until 27 September 2016: roasted fillet of reindeer with ale-cranberry sauce, potato gratin and grilled vegetables.

Menu from 28 September 2016: overcooked reindeer entrecote, barley risotto, porcini, roasted artichoke and thyme sauce.
ROFL!!!
Old Jul 15, 2016, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002
ROFL!!!
Well, I think this is the fourth iteration of reindeer they offer in J in two years IIRC....
Old Jul 16, 2016, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by DALtoAAL
How long did they had the current three choices? I'm guessing that it's been about ten years or so...didn't they start this whole Meals Designated for You in 2006? Great that they are finally changing the menu, although none of these options really tempt me to try them.
If I recall correctly, the menu has been kept unchanged since 2011 when it was introduced.

http://www.finnairgroup.com/mediaen/...ss_537007.html
Old Jul 26, 2016, 8:09 pm

Programs: United/American/Vietnam
I wonder if they do it for the same reason the American carriers do. I personally prefer my beef or deer meat medium rare or even medium but on the American carriers the beef is usually well done - so many people want their meat this way and will claim illness, whether they get ill or not, if the beef is not well done. Only once on a United international flight was the beef served medium rare, going more to the medium side. A lot of pax were not happy but I was ecstatic. On United the beef short ribs are excellent. On many cruise lines if you order your beef or hamburger rare, medium rare or medium you need to sign a release form.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 7:28 am

It's a too-literal translation of the Finnish ylikypsä, which is literally "overcooked", but translates to more like "slow cooked". Pulled pork, for example, would be ylikypsä possu in Finnish.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 9:36 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
The swedish translation says "Reindeer cooked for a long time". My thoughts first went to a meaning closer to "confit", but reindeer meat is not very fatty so it can't be that. Probably just cooked at low temp for a long time, like pulled pork. But again, wouldn't reindeer be utterly dry if processed like that?
Old Jul 28, 2016, 12:49 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat / AY Plat, BA GGL-CCR / Bonvoy Titanium (LTP)
Originally Posted by intuition
Probably just cooked at low temp for a long time, like pulled pork. But again, wouldn't reindeer be utterly dry if processed like that?
No.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.