Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

What to pre-order [in longhaul business class]?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to pre-order [in longhaul business class]?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2016, 3:50 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by Purjelentaja
I have had that twice, and unlike many others here, I have liked it...
I thought that I'm the only one in the history of the whole forum who have liked it
Old Jan 17, 2016, 4:12 am

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
I thought that I'm the only one in the history of the whole forum who have liked it
Perhaps me, and now you, just have been stupid enough to admit that, after all the wave against that dish has been massive! Just wonder if we now will be excluded from this congregation as dissidents
Old Jan 17, 2016, 4:23 am

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo (LTG) OW Emerald, SPG Platinum (LTG), UA Silver
I think it is good and have had it many times.

The problem is that the if it is heated too long it gets dry and taste like liver.

If I have ordered it I do remind the flight attendants to not heat it too long. That has usually made the trick and it has been served perfectly.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 6:45 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
I liked it!
Old Jan 17, 2016, 12:13 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
I have had that twice, and unlike many others here, I have liked it - when it has been well prepared on the plane, as it has potential of being quite tasty. Once it was excellent, but the other time it became overcooked due to turbulence just before they started dinner service, and in that case you can't really blame the dish itself, nor the cabin crew. Unfortunately the same risk goes to quite many dishes, especially beef tenderloins and meats like that. That reindeer is very easily overcooked so if the cabin crew are not careful with it, it will be spoiled.
Thanks Purjelentaja and all.

I will keep my meal request but ask that it is cooked Medium or as short as they can. On BA, meat is often over cooked due to some regulations.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
Thanks Purjelentaja and all.

I will keep my meal request but ask that it is cooked Medium or as short as they can. On BA, meat is often over cooked due to some regulations.
Hey you two,
AY J is not EY F. I seriously doubt they "cook" or "prepare" any mains in that tiny galley, they come from a catering firm wrapped in foil just like any food.
The only thing CC can do is to take it out of the galley heating closet a bit earlier.
If you ask for that, hopefully they´ll remember and it makes some difference.
But the main problem remains; it´s not really a dish that should be stored for a long time.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 11:58 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
Originally Posted by JoWa
Hey you two,
AY J is not EY F. I seriously doubt they "cook" or "prepare" any mains in that tiny galley, they come from a catering firm wrapped in foil just like any food.
The only thing CC can do is to take it out of the galley heating closet a bit earlier.
If you ask for that, hopefully they´ll remember and it makes some difference.
But the main problem remains; it´s not really a dish that should be stored for a long time.
I am sure we all are aware of that fact, and that by "cooking" or "preparing" in this context we all surely have meant heating the ready made dish in the oven. In any case nitpicking of terms doesn't change the fact that especially that dish, and many meat dishes in general, will be spoiled if heated too long. The only way to prevent it being overcooked (sorry: overheated!) is to follow the recommended heating time to the minute.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 12:32 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I've had both the excellent and the liver-like version of that dish. I didn't realise it was over-cooking that caused it so that is good to know.

I guess it won't hurt mention it to the crew - many of them seem oblivious to what prolonged heating does to food. Many times the lovely breakfast croissant is heated until it becomes a cracker. Once they managed to heat a cinamon bun until it could serve as a hammer...
Old Jan 18, 2016, 1:19 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
I don't understand why airlines don't keep it simple? When have you last had a good steak or pasta on a plane? With an "oven", it's not even possible!

Airlines should choose ingredients based on theoretical ability to serve as decent tasting. Anything that doesn't require cooking, is in itself, a better choice. That's why I wholeheartedly would welcome terrines, foie gras, caviar also in Y
Old Jan 18, 2016, 1:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Silver
Originally Posted by remymartin
When have you last had a good steak or pasta on a plane?
Last tuesday on PEK-ZRH (LX) I had a pretty good steak.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 2:16 am

I am sure we all are aware of that fact, and that by "cooking" or "preparing" in this context we all surely have meant heating the ready made dish in the oven. In any case nitpicking of terms doesn't change the fact that especially that dish, and many meat dishes in general, will be spoiled if heated too long. The only way to prevent it being overcooked (sorry: overheated!) is to follow the recommended heating time to the minute.
Just to clarify; I had no intention of nitpicking any of you.

But from your message the poster I quoted obviously was under the impression that he could "order his steak medium", and I saw no reason letting him get disappointed.

Regarding the last part above, I´m not even sure the CC gets any recommended heating times for different hot dishes. I wouldnt be surprised if they just store them in the same cabinet, and take them out just before serving to avoid complaints about serving cold food.
But what do I know about such procedures, just guessing...

Last edited by JoWa; Jan 18, 2016 at 2:23 am
Old Jan 18, 2016, 3:06 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by remymartin
Airlines should choose ingredients based on theoretical ability to serve as decent tasting. Anything that doesn't require cooking, is in itself, a better choice. That's why I wholeheartedly would welcome terrines, foie gras, caviar also in Y
Oh, yeah! ^

And true, maybe first look at what kind of dishes are "impossible to fail" with and go from there, instead of recruiting a famous chef as poster boy.

Actually, I wouldn't complain if they added more cold foods (but not the sorry excuses for a salad they serve on shorthaul sometimes). A big, fully loaded Caesar salad, a rich seafood/prawn salad, cold japanese noodles (Hiyashi chuka, soba, ...) all could work very well.
(Don't get me wrong, I'm a carnivore. But sometimes a high calorie meal isn't what you long for )
Old Jan 18, 2016, 4:13 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
So next time I will bring my own "kalakukko" and ask them heat it up. It will be delicious even after that. And keeps the hunger away

And, would they offer me extra butter for the kalakukko?
Old Jan 18, 2016, 4:38 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by JoWa
Just to clarify; I had no intention of nitpicking any of you.

But from your message the poster I quoted obviously was under the impression that he could "order his steak medium", and I saw no reason letting him getting disappointed.
Thanks for the concern.

My expectations are never too high and I will not place too much hope on the crew being able or willing to get the dish to me in an optimum state.

By the time I have flown from LHR and sat in the lounge and some post take off drinks, I will not be too discriminating by that point anyway...
Old Jan 18, 2016, 4:39 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by FFlash
And, would they offer me extra butter for the kalakukko?
They will. Even good Finnish butter when flying inbound to HEL. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.