Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

What to pre-order [in longhaul business class]?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to pre-order [in longhaul business class]?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2017, 11:13 am
R2

Onboard AY99...just had the Baltic herring, quite delicious...recommend for anyone who likes fish dishes...here the third option is Beef in oyster sauce.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 6:54 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by loimu
Thinking of cost of the ingredients needed, these meals could be within the budget of a Y class meal as well.
Or a school cafeteria

I hope they aren't expanding their Euro-J catering to LH-J now.

Baltic herring is a nice idea as such, even served by Savoy in Helsinki, but if one of the options is a sort of homestyle cooking meal, then the rest should definitely be something else.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Where Does One See the Meal Selection Details?

Currently on the Finnair website, trying to select my meals for an upcoming trip, and when I click on the "Select Your Meal" dropdown menu I see a list staring with "Asian Vegetarian", then going down a list of a number of other "special" meals, with the bottom of the list basically showing Option 1, Option 2, Option 3, all without any descriptions of what they are.

IT issue, or are the descriptions somewhere else (well hidden)?

Also, just as a separate side note, why is Finnair trying to "upsell" me champagne as a Treat for Special Occasions, when I it inclusive of my J ticket?
Old Oct 8, 2017, 11:29 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
... list basically showing Option 1, Option 2, Option 3, all without any descriptions of what they are.

IT issue, or are the descriptions somewhere else (well hidden)?
Just above the drop-down, there is a text, that says something like "to know more about meal in businessclass follow this link".
The text is hyperlinked and it should take you to the menu of your flight.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by intuition
Just above the drop-down, there is a text, that says something like "to know more about meal in businessclass follow this link".
The text is hyperlinked and it should take you to the menu of your flight.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
Thanks. Not exactly a user friendly UX design, but I was able to see the Options 1-3, and the additional options available when departing from HEL.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 2:45 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Off-topic, but I just wanted to post the meal selection experience on QR.

As you may or may not know, QR offers dine on demand in business. So you just order what and when you want to eat in the beginning of the flight. You can usually pick & mix what ever you want from an á la carte menu.
This is pretty perfect, so I am not sure why they have introduced a pre-order service where you can select main course just like on AY.

What is not like AY is just how easy it is to do. From MMB you are presented with meal choices 14 days before take off, and it is accessible until T-24h. Also, you can chose food for all travellers in the same reservation, as easy as flipping a switch.
Attached Images  
Old Oct 21, 2017, 3:14 pm

As you may or may not know, QR offers dine on demand in business. So you just order what and when you want to eat in the beginning of the flight. You can usually pick & mix what ever you want from an á la carte menu.
This is pretty perfect, so I am not sure why they have introduced a pre-order service where you can select main course just like on AY.

What is not like AY is just how easy it is to do. From MMB you are presented with meal choices 14 days before take off, and it is accessible until T-24h. Also, you can chose food for all travellers in the same reservation, as easy as flipping a switch.
I can understand why they offer the pre-order option. Simply allows for better inventory planning and less waste (and associated costs). I'm sure they still over cater, but less so due to having better insights to demand per course offering.

And I couldn't agree more. AY's pre-order interface is one of the worst designs I've encountered in some time.

As a frequent AA flyer, their pre-order UX is pretty straightforward as well, similar to QR.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 5:05 am

Programs: Many but loyal to none

I'd love it if it was easy to do, however with less than 7 days until I fly I'm still unable to pre-select the main course with my upcoming QR flight. Hopefully it won't matter and dining is as good as you say.

Old Oct 22, 2017, 7:29 am
Moderator, Finnair

Interesting. They haven't launched it on all routes, but BKK is supposed to be on the launch list, so I guess there are som issues with the implementation.

-- Added
Checking the press-release it might be that BKK isn't on the list after all:
The new Pre-Select Dining service is being introduced on selected flights to Europe, North and South America, Australia and New Zealand.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 8:16 am

Programs: Many but loyal to none
Interesting. They haven't launched it on all routes, but BKK is supposed to be on the launch list, so I guess there are som issues with the implementation.

-- Added
Checking the press-release it might be that BKK isn't on the list after all:
That could explain it, I had looked on the QR thread and the consensus was that it was available on the BKK leg. The tabs are there for the DOH-MAN return leg but it's too early to select at present.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 9:42 am
Moderator, Finnair

The funny thing is that next to the press release text on QR site there is an info-graphic and that one includes CAN and BKK in the launch. So I guess they opened up for some confusion themselves. Not the first time when it comes to QR marketing communications...
Old Nov 19, 2017, 3:20 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
HKG-HEL flights seem to have a new menu featuring such luxurious high-quality dishes as karjalanpaisti and vispipuuro. Pics look good, though. Has anyone experienced these firsthand?

https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...ss-class-menu/
Old Nov 19, 2017, 6:58 pm

I do NOT want to have or order karjalanpaisti or vispipuuro or silakkaa if and when I fly to Miami early next year. I might even prefer the (possible) Finnish Xmas menu. Please, give me as a Finnish traveller something else
Old Nov 19, 2017, 8:57 pm

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
On 2 Nov I had the Karelian stew on HEL-BKK. Actually I really liked it!
Purjelentaja likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 9:50 pm
R2

Originally Posted by ylefin
I do NOT want to have or order karjalanpaisti or vispipuuro or silakkaa if and when I fly to Miami early next year.
AY menu card states: 'When we fly from Finland we serve you the best that the lakes and forests of the North have to offer.'

Vispipuuro it is then
NoWindowSeat and cistavoda like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.