Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Fairmont | Fairmont Presidents Club
Reload this Page >

Targeted AMEX Canada - Spend $500 at Fairmont by 12/31, get $100 AMEX Credit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Targeted AMEX Canada - Spend $500 at Fairmont by 12/31, get $100 AMEX Credit

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2014, 10:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by CanadaDH
Were you dealing with the hotel or central reservations? I tried 2 reservations agents and both wanted to forward me to accounting.
I called the hotel (Chateau Whistler) directly.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 12:33 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BONVOY GOLD
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Which property? I told the agent I wanted to take advantage of an Amex promo and it took me about 2 minutes to get the additional deposit taken.
I'm going to call PTS to do the transaction for me... they can deal with Fairmont and work it out I'm sure
Old Oct 26, 2014, 8:22 pm

Programs: SPG, Aeroplan, WJ, Avis Preferred, Hertz Gold, Fairmont PC, IHG, Marriott, Airmiles, Aventura,Avion
Sorry, found my answer. One credit per registered Amex card. I was hoping to get 2 credits as I have 2 upcoming stays at 2 diff Fairmonts but I only have one Amex so $100 is great anyways.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 8:42 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by westcoastgal
Sorry, found my answer. One credit per registered Amex card. I was hoping to get 2 credits as I have 2 upcoming stays at 2 diff Fairmonts but I only have one Amex so $100 is great anyways.
Maybe it's time to sign up for another one
Old Oct 27, 2014, 12:20 am

Programs: SPG, Aeroplan, WJ, Avis Preferred, Hertz Gold, Fairmont PC, IHG, Marriott, Airmiles, Aventura,Avion
Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
Maybe it's time to sign up for another one
It def is but I'm waiting for TU to correct the multiple errors on my credit report. RBC has sent in a request as well and I spoke to a few TU reps as well. I can't believe how many errors are on there! Some are glaringly obvious.

What esp got me was the open Eatons account on there that's had no activity in 10 years. I told the rep to remove it and he said the lender has to contact TU in order for it to be removed or closed. I told him I'm happy to have Eatons do so if he can provide a contact number for them? I don't think Eatons is affecting my report as it's was in good standing and is very old but listing it as an open account is kind of strange.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 10:53 am

Just tried making another $500 deposit on a 2nd Amex Card, and to approve it, they had me fax the hotel an authorization form with a copy of my DL and Amex Card...
Old Nov 12, 2014, 4:20 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Fairmont Platinum
Back home. Put my stay over 3 amex cards. The first had posted with the deposit, the other two posted within 2-3 days of check out. Much easier than last year where none posted automatically. You even get an email a few days later telling you the credit was posted.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MtlFire
Back home. Put my stay over 3 amex cards. The first had posted with the deposit, the other two posted within 2-3 days of check out. Much easier than last year where none posted automatically. You even get an email a few days later telling you the credit was posted.
meaning you did 3 x $500+ transactions at Fairmont and got 3 x $100 credits on 3 cards? wow, that's a lot of hotel spending
Old Nov 12, 2014, 11:38 pm

I now have my Amex Business Gold Card. I am wondering if I can get Fairmont to refund one of my stays from October 31 from my other Amex and charge my Amex Business Gold so I can get the $100 credit?

My other stay from Oct 28 to 30 was over $1200 and I did get $100 credit on that stay. Since it's per stay per card, I assume that my best bet is to see if I can get the second stay refunded and charged onto my Amex Business Gold rather than have the first stay broken into 2 charges and part of the charge put onto my Amex Business Gold, since I already got $100 credit for that stay?
Old Nov 13, 2014, 12:47 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50K, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, Accor Diamond
I've successfully used all 3 credits from 3 different cards. I split the bill between 2 cards for my stay at Banff Springs and the credits posted the next day
Old Nov 13, 2014, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung
meaning you did 3 x $500+ transactions at Fairmont and got 3 x $100 credits on 3 cards? wow, that's a lot of hotel spending
10 nights in Hawaii can do that. Even with FHR 4th night free.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 3:31 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by MtlFire
10 nights in Hawaii can do that. Even with FHR 4th night free.
Or less if you buy gift cards...
Old Nov 14, 2014, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
Or less if you buy gift cards...
True. But then I wouldn't be in Hawaii
Old Nov 15, 2014, 8:02 am

Argh.

So I faxed the Fairmont Orchid an authorization to charge me $500 on another Amex Card and what they ended up doing is refunded my initial deposit on my platinum and charging my other Amex.

I did not want a refund. The refund and $100 both came off, and I got dinged with a crap exchange rate on my Amex refund.

Royally pissed off, and will now have to waste my time to fix this, as well as get dinged again on the exchange rate.

Should I just call Amex Platinum travel to fix as they are my agents on this?
Old Nov 15, 2014, 11:53 am

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by coleworld
Argh.

So I faxed the Fairmont Orchid an authorization to charge me $500 on another Amex Card and what they ended up doing is refunded my initial deposit on my platinum and charging my other Amex.

I did not want a refund. The refund and $100 both came off, and I got dinged with a crap exchange rate on my Amex refund.

Royally pissed off, and will now have to waste my time to fix this, as well as get dinged again on the exchange rate.

Should I just call Amex Platinum travel to fix as they are my agents on this?
That's something like the scenario I was envisioning back in post #103 where I decided to forget trying to make additional payments. Once I was told I needed to deal with accounting at the individual hotel to make it happen, I figured there was a good chance something was going to get majorly screwed up or lost in translation.

Even if the hotel were to redo the charge on your original Amex, I'm not sure if the $100 credit can be awarded again--you'd need to talk to Amex. As for the difference in exchange, credit cards always have a rate spread on purchases vs. credits, so any compensation would have to come from the hotel in the form of a manual credit or maybe a discount on your room rate.

With two different parties involved in this fix (or 3 if you count your agent), I wouldn't hold out much hope for a full resolution. It would seem to be a lot of effort and they might screw it up further. My feeling is that most of the staff employed in the customer service roles that you would be dealing with, are neither empowered enough nor competent enough to fully understand and resolve the situation properly, and taking it up the chain of command is likely not worth the time and effort.

You might have a reasonable chance at some goodwill offer from the hotel by dealing with a hotel manager in person, but then you'd have to take time out of your vacation while you're there.

I'd start with some simple complaints and see where it goes, but if you don't get a good feeling that it's leading anywhere, I'd probably cut my losses and spend my time on more productive pursuits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.