Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Fairmont | Fairmont Presidents Club
Reload this Page >

Targeted AMEX Canada - Spend $500 at Fairmont by 12/31, get $100 AMEX Credit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Targeted AMEX Canada - Spend $500 at Fairmont by 12/31, get $100 AMEX Credit

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:50 pm

During the last promotion I had a one night stay and bought a gift card charged to the room and the credit went through no problem. It is a very generous offer and easy to get as long as you can get at least one night at a place. Good time for a staycation.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 8:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by tommy99
During the last promotion I had a one night stay and bought a gift card charged to the room and the credit went through no problem.
The rules seem pretty clear to prevent that this time around.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 8:36 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
The rules seem pretty clear to prevent that this time around.
Seems to be completely within the rules, don't see what the problem is

To be eligible for a $100 (CAD) statement credit, a purchase of $500 (CAD) or more (after taxes) in one (1) transaction must be made at a participating Fairmont Hotels & Resorts property during the offer period and charged to the registered Card. Stay must be completed by December 31, 2014. A qualifying purchase includes room cost and any charges billed directly to the room. Fairmont Hotels & Resorts charges that do not appear on the hotel bill but were paid separately during your stay with your American Express Card are not considered qualifying purchases. A prepaid or deposit amount that may be required at time of booking that is $500 or more (CAD), made in one (1) transaction and charged to a registered Card is considered a qualifying purchase. Bookings or transactions made through travel-related web sites and any other channels that are not made directly with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts do not qualify. Booking is subject to room availability. Cancellation policies and charges vary by property and should be confirmed at time of reservation. Advance reservations required.
Register, book a one night stay and charge a $500GC to the room. Where is the problem exactly?
Old Sep 12, 2014, 11:00 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by newbie elite
Register, book a one night stay and charge a $500GC to the room. Where is the problem exactly?
I've never heard of a GC being considerd a room charge. Is that even possible?

(Reading the previous posts, it looks like it is, so I guess there's no reason it shouldn't work and take back my previous statement.)
Old Sep 14, 2014, 10:59 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

How can they verify a gift card purchase vs a room stay/booking?

Last year I walked in FM waterfront and asked for a $500gc. I was given the credit.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by AMRivlin
How can they verify a gift card purchase vs a room stay/booking?
Depending on how the transaction is processed it may be coded differently, e.g. "retail purchase" instead of "hotel/accommodation".

With some credit card systems additional information is transmitted such as check-in date and check-out date, so if that were missing it would indicate you actually weren't staying at the hotel.

And of course Fairmont could "manually" confirm the eligibility for the credit since it is a joint Fairmont/CC promotion.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 9:32 pm

Programs: ,BW Rewards, Skymiles, Aeroplan, SPG, IHG, Marriott, Club Carlson, Alaska Airlines
Can I double dip for this offer ??
Book a room through PTS, get the Amex Plat $200 credit and get the $100 credit ??
Has anyone tried this and was successful.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 9:48 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mgn2000
Can I double dip for this offer ??
Book a room through PTS, get the Amex Plat $200 credit and get the $100 credit ??
Has anyone tried this and was successful.
Don't see why it would not work...
Old Oct 14, 2014, 7:01 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BONVOY GOLD
I wonder if I'll get my credit??

Just booked a Fairmont and had a $500+ deposit through Amex Platinum Travel..

"A prepaid or deposit amount that may be required at time of booking that is $500 or more (CAD), made in one (1) transaction and charged to a registered Card is considered a qualifying purchase. Bookings or transactions made through travel-related web sites and any other channels that are not made directly with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts do not qualify."

If it works, wonder if I should prepay another $500 on my other Amex Card to get another $100?
Old Oct 14, 2014, 4:34 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by coleworld
I wonder if I'll get my credit??

Just booked a Fairmont and had a $500+ deposit through Amex Platinum Travel..

"A prepaid or deposit amount that may be required at time of booking that is $500 or more (CAD), made in one (1) transaction and charged to a registered Card is considered a qualifying purchase. Bookings or transactions made through travel-related web sites and any other channels that are not made directly with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts do not qualify."

If it works, wonder if I should prepay another $500 on my other Amex Card to get another $100?
Booked Kea Lani through PTS. Got my 200$ travel credit, FHR benefits and confirmed upgrade in advance. Deposit was posted, 100$ credit showed the next day.

I will pay the balance on two other Amex cards once I arrive and get 100$ for those cards as well (Amex Gold, Plat and Aero Gold).

Did the same thing at the Orchid last year. $300 free credits.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 6:24 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
If I'm understanding correctly, people have been getting their $100 credits after only making a deposit and not completing the stay. While the terms do say that a stay must be completed by Dec 31, it sounds like credits are being processed even without completing the stay.

I have a reservation for a stay in the 2nd week of January. While it doesn't require a deposit, perhaps I should give it a try and see what happens. I never like to pay for something before I have to, but I'm very tempted... pay $500 now and get back $100 is a pretty good rate of return!
Old Oct 16, 2014, 10:07 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BONVOY GOLD
Originally Posted by CanadaDH
If I'm understanding correctly, people have been getting their $100 credits after only making a deposit and not completing the stay. While the terms do say that a stay must be completed by Dec 31, it sounds like credits are being processed even without completing the stay.

I have a reservation for a stay in the 2nd week of January. While it doesn't require a deposit, perhaps I should give it a try and see what happens. I never like to pay for something before I have to, but I'm very tempted... pay $500 now and get back $100 is a pretty good rate of return!
It states in the terms, a deposit qualifies. You should put $500 on your Amex, it should work.

My deposit just posted and so did my credit (right away), I even recieved an email congratulating me on my $100 credit.

I'm going to put another $500 down on another registered Amex, but I'm going to wait for the CDN dollar to get a bit better... exchange rate was 1.154 on the transaction.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by coleworld
It states in the terms, a deposit qualifies. You should put $500 on your Amex, it should work.

My deposit just posted and so did my credit (right away), I even recieved an email congratulating me on my $100 credit.

I'm going to put another $500 down on another registered Amex, but I'm going to wait for the CDN dollar to get a bit better... exchange rate was 1.154 on the transaction.
I tried to make an additional deposit, but I think something is getting lost in translation. I started with Fairmont reservations, who said I had to deal directly with the property. Fair enough. I called the property, but front desk said I needed to deal with accounting. Got forwarded to accounting but they don't seem to speak English very well, and don't seem to understand my request that I want to pay more toward an upcoming stay.

I think I'll just forget it or I might end up making things worse.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by CanadaDH
I called the property, but front desk said I needed to deal with accounting. Got forwarded to accounting but they don't seem to speak English very well, and don't seem to understand my request that I want to pay more toward an upcoming stay.
Which property? I told the agent I wanted to take advantage of an Amex promo and it took me about 2 minutes to get the additional deposit taken.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Which property? I told the agent I wanted to take advantage of an Amex promo and it took me about 2 minutes to get the additional deposit taken.
Fairmont Tremblant. Were you dealing with the hotel or central reservations? I tried 2 reservations agents and both wanted to forward me to accounting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.