Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Fairmont | Fairmont Presidents Club
Reload this Page >

Targeted AMEX Canada - Spend $500 at Fairmont by 12/31, get $100 AMEX Credit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Targeted AMEX Canada - Spend $500 at Fairmont by 12/31, get $100 AMEX Credit

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2014, 6:44 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BONVOY GOLD
Originally Posted by CanadaDH
That's something like the scenario I was envisioning back in post #103 where I decided to forget trying to make additional payments. Once I was told I needed to deal with accounting at the individual hotel to make it happen, I figured there was a good chance something was going to get majorly screwed up or lost in translation.

Even if the hotel were to redo the charge on your original Amex, I'm not sure if the $100 credit can be awarded again--you'd need to talk to Amex. As for the difference in exchange, credit cards always have a rate spread on purchases vs. credits, so any compensation would have to come from the hotel in the form of a manual credit or maybe a discount on your room rate.

With two different parties involved in this fix (or 3 if you count your agent), I wouldn't hold out much hope for a full resolution. It would seem to be a lot of effort and they might screw it up further. My feeling is that most of the staff employed in the customer service roles that you would be dealing with, are neither empowered enough nor competent enough to fully understand and resolve the situation properly, and taking it up the chain of command is likely not worth the time and effort.

You might have a reasonable chance at some goodwill offer from the hotel by dealing with a hotel manager in person, but then you'd have to take time out of your vacation while you're there.

I'd start with some simple complaints and see where it goes, but if you don't get a good feeling that it's leading anywhere, I'd probably cut my losses and spend my time on more productive pursuits.
Thanks for the reply. After sleeping on it, I'll give a 15 minute phone call to Fairmont and see where it goes. Time is money and this could take a lot of time.

Hoping for a compentent reservations agent when I call...
Old Nov 17, 2014, 7:25 am

Got the $100 credit after a recent stay at Fairmont - $525 was the charge.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 3:07 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BONVOY GOLD
Called the Hotel directly and got thbem to charge my original Amex again.

I told them to put a note on my reservation stating I may pre-pay an additional $500 (on another Amex) and NOT to refund any of my previous payments.

There was nothing she could do on her end regarding the mistake and the addtional exchange rate costs, so I guess I'll eat it. It shoudl only be $20-$30.

Now I hope I dont have to deal with AMEX in regards to the $100 credit being re-credited...
Old Nov 22, 2014, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Does anyone know if the purchase of a gift card will trigger the $100 rebate? (I know the T&Cs say a stay is required but I'd like to know if anyone's had a different experience.)
Old Dec 3, 2014, 12:55 pm

Another data point for this - I prepaid for a 2-night stay (using the 15% off prepaid rate) at the Fairmont San Francisco in February. The total charge was billed in USD, and came out to over $500 CAD. I got an email from American Express shortly after informing me that I qualified for the $100 statement credit, which posted a couple of days later. Oddly enough, it posted as a credit of $87.50 USD, which came out to $100.16 CAD. Not complaining though
Old Dec 17, 2014, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Does anyone know if the purchase of a gift card will trigger the $100 rebate? (I know the T&Cs say a stay is required but I'd like to know if anyone's had a different experience.)
Had dinner at the Royal York on Sunday and bought a $500 gift card. The charge and my $100 statement credit have now appeared on my Amex. ^
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:55 am

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Had dinner at the Royal York on Sunday and bought a $500 gift card. The charge and my $100 statement credit have now appeared on my Amex. ^
Did you buy the gift card from the restaurant or the front desk? I think I will have to walk down there this week and get one!
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Front desk. I just slipped away after I ordered my drink. Paid for my tip with the gift card (since I was using Fairmont cert for dinner)!

I'd be surprised if they had them in the restaurant.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:06 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Good to know. Thanks for the update !
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:37 am

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Front desk. I just slipped away after I ordered my drink. Paid for my tip with the gift card (since I was using Fairmont cert for dinner)!

I'd be surprised if they had them in the restaurant.
Thanks! Picked one up after lunch today. ^

Last edited by allbrosca; Dec 17, 2014 at 1:50 pm
Old Dec 28, 2014, 11:21 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Originally Posted by allbrosca
Thanks! Picked one up after lunch today. ^
Did you also get the statement credit?
Old Dec 28, 2014, 4:54 pm

Programs: AC, WJ, OW, FPC, HH, Nexus
I bought a $500 gift card at the Fairmont in Calgary without staying there, promptly received a statement credit a day after the $500 gift card posted.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by Bonaventure
Did you also get the statement credit?
Yes. It took a few days. Maybe slowed down by the holidays.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I should also note that I wasn't targeted for this promo. A friend who has the Amex Platinum card forwarded it to me and I was successfully able to register with AE Plus Amex.

Now just need a fair exchange rate for when I stay at Fairmont SIN in Jan.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 7:33 am

I should also note that I wasn't targeted for this promo. A friend who has the Amex Platinum card forwarded it to me and I was successfully able to register with AE Plus Amex.

Now just need a fair exchange rate for when I stay at Fairmont SIN in Jan.
I wish I would have known that! I was targeted for my gold card and not the plat. I should have tried to register the plat and bought another one!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.