Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Fairmont | Fairmont Presidents Club
Reload this Page >

Targeted AMEX Canada - Spend $500 at Fairmont by 12/31, get $100 AMEX Credit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Targeted AMEX Canada - Spend $500 at Fairmont by 12/31, get $100 AMEX Credit

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2014, 12:00 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
That's a complete rip off. I read again the first post of the discussion and there is nothing like it has to be in one shot (but instead they said one stay).
Would suggest to push the issue to a supervisor.
Will call in a couple of weeks about mine, they said back in December I have to wait but I am definitely eligible, and they add a note in my file...

EDIT T&C: Charge $500 (CAD) or more (after taxes) in qualifying purchases to your registered Card between October 3, 2013 and December 31, 2013 on a stay at a participating Fairmont Hotels & Resorts property. Qualifying purchases include the room cost and any charges billed directly to the room.
I did speak to a supervisor who acknowledged that I had reason to feel upset and clearly said that she had dealt with several others on this same issue. She could not/would not say if the interpretation leading to the refusal was an AMEX or a Fairmont decision.

The two charges are clearly for the same hotel and Fairmont could easily verify that they were for the same dates, ie, not two stays. After all that, I was offered a $50 credit, and I'll believe that when I see it, since the last person I spoke to said very plainly that the requirement for it to be in one charge was not stated, and that mine would be processed. I strongly suspect that they know they screwed up but are now trying to hide behind the statement that it needed to be "a purchase".

I don't have the energy to fight any more, but my opinion of AMEX has taken a dive, and as I pointed out to them, it's a very competitive CC market at the moment - I suspect that was more the reason they coughed up a credit (albeit smaller) at all.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 2:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by fin 645
I did speak to a supervisor who acknowledged that I had reason to feel upset and clearly said that she had dealt with several others on this same issue. She could not/would not say if the interpretation leading to the refusal was an AMEX or a Fairmont decision.

The two charges are clearly for the same hotel and Fairmont could easily verify that they were for the same dates, ie, not two stays. After all that, I was offered a $50 credit, and I'll believe that when I see it, since the last person I spoke to said very plainly that the requirement for it to be in one charge was not stated, and that mine would be processed. I strongly suspect that they know they screwed up but are now trying to hide behind the statement that it needed to be "a purchase".

I don't have the energy to fight any more, but my opinion of AMEX has taken a dive, and as I pointed out to them, it's a very competitive CC market at the moment - I suspect that was more the reason they coughed up a credit (albeit smaller) at all.
Sounds like excuses and push back from Amex.

For the record, I charged two different Amexes on the same stay in November, and received $100 credit on both cards without issue.

If their excuse now arises to 'purchase'.. charging the cc is a purchase.

I agree, its a grind, and does not reflect well with me what you are going through as well. Hopefully Amex will hold up to its end of the bargain when the dust settles and credit you what you are entitled to.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 3:49 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by fin 645

Thanks for the details, I will certainly post about my experience as soon as I call them, probably in a couple of weeks. If it works the fact that it works for somebody else could be an additional argument. And if it does not work I would ask to retrieve the recording when the agent said "that's ok this is eligible"...
Old Feb 14, 2014, 2:58 pm

I finally got my 100$ credit without having to call.
Something is strange, I spend 500$ in Le Chateau Frontenac in two transaction (but both charge on room) which probably explains why I did not get the credit after the check-out. The next day I went to Le Manoir Richelieu but spent far less than 500$ (because I used the gift card I purchase the day before), and now the credit post as from Le Manoir Richelieu...

Anyway, if you did not get the credit, I would recommend to call again...
Old Mar 4, 2014, 9:13 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by MtlFire
Waiting for 2 x 100$. Received the e-mail confirming registration, charged over 500$ to two cards at the Orchid. Now over 12 weeks and still waiting.

Called in, they opened a case file. Sent me a letter to confirm they were looking into it. Says it can take 8-12 weeks to hear anything back after opening a case lol.
They are hoping you forget probably

I too have called 3 times regarding my $100 Same old story. Basically bs that the credit will post for sure next month. I gave up and cancelled my $499 /year AMEX Aeroplatinum card.

Very cheated customer
Old Sep 10, 2014, 12:49 pm

I received this offer again for this year. Similar as last year (100$ credit for 500$ spend at Fairmont) except this time, it is explicitly said that the >500$ transaction must not be split (so prepaid rate are de-facto excluded except if just the room rate is over 500$, and you have to make sure the hotel charge you once when checking out).

Offer Terms and Conditions
The following Terms are specific to this offer:

†This offer is only available to Canadian American Express Basic and Supplementary Consumer and Small Business Cardmembers. The American Express Card registered must be the same Card used when making the qualifying purchase. Maximum of one (1) $100 (CAD) statement credit per registered Card during the offer period.

To be eligible for this offer:
- Your account must be in good standing
- You must register your eligible Card in the American Express Registered Card program between September 9, 2014 and December 30, 2014 at amexnetwork.ca/fairmontoffer. Registration Period starts at 12:00:01 a.m. ET on September 9, 2014 and ends on December 30, 2014 11:59:59 p.m. ET.
- Use your Registered Card at a participating Fairmont Hotels & Resorts property during the offer period between September 9, 2014 and December 31, 2014
- A purchase made during the offer period prior to registration of your eligible Card in this Program is not considered a qualifying purchase

1. Qualifying purchase for this offer:
To be eligible for a $100 (CAD) statement credit, a purchase of $500 (CAD) or more (after taxes) in one (1) transaction must be made at a participating Fairmont Hotels & Resorts property during the offer period and charged to the registered Card. Stay must be completed by December 31, 2014. A qualifying purchase includes room cost and any charges billed directly to the room. Fairmont Hotels & Resorts charges that do not appear on the hotel bill but were paid separately during your stay with your American Express Card are not considered qualifying purchases. A prepaid or deposit amount that may be required at time of booking that is $500 or more (CAD), made in one (1) transaction and charged to a registered Card is considered a qualifying purchase. Bookings or transactions made through travel-related web sites and any other channels that are not made directly with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts do not qualify. Booking is subject to room availability. Cancellation policies and charges vary by property and should be confirmed at time of reservation. Advance reservations required.

Supplementary Card/s are eligible Cards and can be registered for the offer. If there is a Basic and any associated Supplementary Card/s on the same account registered in the American Express Registered Card program, both the Basic and any Supplementary Cardmember/s would each have to make a separate qualifying purchase charged to their respective Card to each earn a statement credit. For registered Supplementary Cards, the statement credit(s) will be issued to the Basic Card account associated with that Supplementary Card.

In the event that you replace your Registered Card through Amex Bank or a licensed third party issuer (as appropriate) because it has been lost, stolen or there has been a fraud event during an Offer, your registration(s) and qualifying purchase will be transferred to your new Card. In this scenario your replacement card will become your Registered Card.

American Express Corporate Cards and American Express Gift Cards are excluded from this offer. This offer cannot be combined with any other offers or promotions.

Statement credit may take up to two billing cycles to appear on your statement and up to 8 weeks to be credited to the account, after the Cardmember has completed a qualifying purchase. If the statement credit is being applied to a credit card account, please note that this does not satisfy the requirements to pay the minimum due. A statement credit does not constitute a payment. The Cardmember must continue to make separate payments of at least the minimum due in accordance with the Cardmember agreement and account statement. We reserve the right to substitute an American Express Gift Card or cheque in lieu of the statement credit. American Express is responsible for the fulfillment of this offer.

®: Used by Amex Bank of Canada under license from American Express.

Swissôtel Chicago is part of the Swissôtel Hotels & Resorts collection of hotels - a sister brand of Fairmont Hotels & Resorts.

© Copyright 2014 FRHI. All rights reserved.

Last edited by Yul_voyager; Sep 10, 2014 at 12:55 pm
Old Sep 10, 2014, 1:04 pm

Link to the offer

http://www.fairmont.fr/americas/yourtravelstyle/
www.amexnetwork.ca/offrefairmont/

Last edited by Yul_voyager; Sep 10, 2014 at 1:09 pm
Old Sep 10, 2014, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

This is back again, targeted to my AMEX Platinum card email

Turn moments into memories as a Fairmont guest.

Fairmont is a leader in the global hospitality industry, offering guests luxurious accommodation in the most sought after destinations. Your stay can be even more exceptional with the opportunity to earn a $100 (CAD) Statement Credit from American Express.

When you stay at a participating Fairmont Hotels & Resorts property between September 9, 2014 and December 31, 2014 and spend $500 (CAD) or more (after taxes) in one (1) transaction on qualifying purchases1 with your registered American Express® Card, you can earn a $100 (CAD) Statement Credit†.

Plus, you can enjoy special privileges during your stay once you have completed 5 nights or stays in a calendar year with Fairmont President’s Club Platinum membership3. Enrollment is required, call Platinum Card Travel Service at 1-800-668-9147 for details.

It’s easy to earn your Statement Credit!

1 Register

Click here to register your eligible Platinum Card. You must register by December 30, 2014 to be eligible for the offer. A purchase made at a Fairmont Hotels & Resorts property during the offer period prior to registration is not a qualifying purchase for this offer.
2 Spend

Call Platinum Card Travel Service at 1-800-668-9147 to book your stay at a participating Fairmont Hotels & Resorts property by December 30, 2014. To view the list of participating Fairmont Hotels & Resorts properties and to book your stay click here.
3 Earn

When you stay at a participating Fairmont Hotels & Resorts property between September 9, 2014 and December 31, 2014 and spend $500 (CAD) or more (after taxes) in one (1) transaction on qualifying purchases1 with your registered American Express® Card, you can earn a $100 (CAD) Statement Credit†.
Register URL here
https://enroll.amexnetwork.com/CA/en/fairmont-credit/
Old Sep 10, 2014, 7:31 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Correct me if I'm wrong. Only Fairmonts in USA, Canada, and Mexico are eligible it seems. Useless to me because I seldom go to these places.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 9:41 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50K, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, Accor Diamond
I got a targeted email for my aeroplan gold card, but also tried registering with my amex gold rewards card and it went through as well! I was going to try my amex plat as well, but only have 2 upcoming stays in the time period to Banff Springs and a week at Mayakoba
Old Sep 10, 2014, 9:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
My wife got the email for her Gold card, but I didn't get it for mine. We may be canceling our cards before our next stay (the card really isn't worth the annual fee), but I'll see if we can take advantage of the pre-paid deposit clause for an upcoming stay.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 2:27 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

I did this last year, and bought a gift card. I suppose this would work again.

Does anyone know if the Aeroplan or a Scotia AMEX will work?
Old Sep 11, 2014, 5:39 am

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
I'm a little confused on the details. The terms say that you have to complete a transaction for a minimum amount of $500. They also say that a deposit on a room of $500 or more counts. However, they also say that a stay must be completed by Dec 31.

I have 2 upcoming stays booked for January. If it means saving $100, I could prepay one or both reservations, or even buy some gift cards, however, my stay won't be completed by Dec 31. Any thoughts on whether that would work? It sounds like people had success with gift card purchases in the last promotion, but I don't know if the terms and conditions were the same last year.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 8:45 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by AMRivlin
I did this last year, and bought a gift card. I suppose this would work again.

Does anyone know if the Aeroplan or a Scotia AMEX will work?
Sorry to be dense, but did you book a stay and buy the gift card while you were there, or did you just register your amex card and use it buy a $500 gift card on Fairmont.com and then get the $100 without having to stay.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by newbie elite
Sorry to be dense, but did you book a stay and buy the gift card while you were there, or did you just register your amex card and use it buy a $500 gift card on Fairmont.com and then get the $100 without having to stay.
I don't think it will work if you buy a gift card on fairmont.com
It may work if you buy a GC at your local Fairmont but YMMV as per the T&C you have to stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.