Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2016, 11:57 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Anti clickbait algorithm. I love it.

http://social.techcrunch.com/2016/08/04/facebook-clickbait/
Old Aug 6, 2016, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
Another observation:

Brett Snyder/Cranky is increasingly calling out these BoardingArea posters misinformation about operational/strategic/etc facets of the industry. Cranky posts at 3:45am PDT and right on cue, Gary shows up moments later to defend his blog and offer some silly explanation.
^^ I know Brett has laughed off FT and most of the points and miles aspect of blogs, but glad to see he's challenging people like Gary who have gone way off track in terms of useful information and sincerity.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Gary (who I like) posted commentary on an article about a Chinese man who tried to take a turtle through security and pretended it was a KFC sandwich today. In his MORE FROM VIEW FROM THE WING section at the bottom of the page, a related link brought up ... the same story, which he had written about as a separate post three years prior.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by steveholt
Gary (who I like) posted commentary on an article about a Chinese man who tried to take a turtle through security and pretended it was a KFC sandwich today. In his MORE FROM VIEW FROM THE WING section at the bottom of the page, a related link brought up ... the same story, which he had written about as a separate post three years prior.
Those recommendations are automatic (at least they should be), it's entirely possible that Gary forgot he wrote the previous post.

I've done the same thing before, obviously not ideal but also not the end of the world I wouldn't have thought.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 11:16 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by Doctor of Credit
Those recommendations are automatic (at least they should be), it's entirely possible that Gary forgot he wrote the previous post.

I've done the same thing before, obviously not ideal but also not the end of the world I wouldn't have thought.
I suspect that's exactly what happened. He mistook an article and believed the story was from July 29, 2016 when it was actually from July 29, 2013.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 5:11 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
It's always good to pepper in some posts about ridiculous incidents involving travel, anti TSA rants, food type reviews of places nobody cares about, another trip review on F of the same places he traveled before, a breaking deal he found somewhere else and HTs either to Alan H. or at the bottom of the post nobody gets to...until yet another credit card that you must get...the last one he sold BLOWS him away...or something like that #sameold
Old Aug 9, 2016, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I find his constant patting on the back to be obnoxious. Latest example this morning:

The way to think about it is the 10th first class seat, most likely to go unoccupied (that you can occasionally sell at a premium) but where they find that “[t]he halo effect is considerable” — exactly the language I’ve been using to describe the top-end premium cabin offerings from the Gulf carriers.
In line with calling himself a thought-leader it's rather obnoxious how often he finds a way to pat himself on the back within a given post / topic. We get it - you have similar ideas to others, you don't have to beat your chest about it and reference your own articles about it (which he does in the OP with a hyperlink as opposed to just the bolding that I've done).
Old Aug 9, 2016, 8:00 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Duke787
I find his constant patting on the back to be obnoxious. Latest example this morning:

In line with calling himself a thought-leader it's rather obnoxious how often he finds a way to pat himself on the back within a given post / topic. We get it - you have similar ideas to others, you don't have to beat your chest about it and reference your own articles about it (which he does in the OP with a hyperlink as opposed to just the bolding that I've done).
He came up with 'skypesos,' you know!? Well, HE thinks so, anyway.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 8:02 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by kokonutz
He came up with 'skypesos,' you know!? Well, HE thinks so, anyway.
I had addressed how that term was actually in play before. But he gets credit for popularizing a term that was already around before.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 5:17 pm

He seems to be posting a lot of "tricks to know" classic click bait recently.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 5:55 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
On the Hyatt trick he pumped the crap out of the Chase cards EXCEPT the Hyatt card and he said something "I do not have the affiliate link for it" and something about the banks not reviewing his post or something. Did not have the decency to have the non affiliate link to the Hyatt card to get his readers 2 free nights at the Hyatt, the subject of the freaking post. Only the cards that pay him. And THIS is the reason why this blog is in the Ignore list in my blog review lists. I only do not ignore it for research purposes to protect the newbies. THIS is exactly the type of incident that shows how deep in the dirt this business has fallen. And then when you bring up this stuff and somebody loses a fuse (how not to!!) they call you "one of the angrys"...

Bunch of Chase affiliate links and no Hyatt credit card link. Pump leader.

Pump this!
Old Aug 9, 2016, 10:29 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by gpapadop
On the Hyatt trick he pumped the crap out of the Chase cards EXCEPT the Hyatt card and he said something "I do not have the affiliate link for it" and something about the banks not reviewing his post or something. Did not have the decency to have the non affiliate link to the Hyatt card to get his readers 2 free nights at the Hyatt, the subject of the freaking post. Only the cards that pay him. And THIS is the reason why this blog is in the Ignore list in my blog review lists. I only do not ignore it for research purposes to protect the newbies. THIS is exactly the type of incident that shows how deep in the dirt this business has fallen. And then when you bring up this stuff and somebody loses a fuse (how not to!!) they call you "one of the angrys"...

Bunch of Chase affiliate links and no Hyatt credit card link. Pump leader.

Pump this!
Love it. "The pump leader"
Old Aug 10, 2016, 8:40 am

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
Love it. "The pump leader"
You know, that's not actually half bad!

Almost good know to stick

The Pump leader.

I like it.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've already forgotten who coined the term "The Pump Leader" but it was probably Gary.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 8:18 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton/Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, SPG Gold
click bait

Saw Garys tweet this morning "Marriott hoping to back out of the Starwood Merger" then he does on to say at the end of the article "Theres little to suggest a similar fate for Marriott-SPG" in reference to United/US Airways merger not happening.

I thought that was some serious click bait. Am I wrong here? Feel like the headline is way over exaggerated. Or maybe Im just hangover and should have read the article again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.