Wiki Posts
Search

View from the Wing [VFTW] discussions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2016, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by josephstern
So Gary has never had high-end sushi in Tokyo, apparently.
Not many have. I've yet to try the place in question, or Otoko. Life without referral fees is difficult! I have been to Uchi twice though since moving here. Seems Gary doesn't get north of UT or south of Oltorf though, based on his favorites. He possibly hasn't visited Peached since they moved to Burnet, judging from his list of places. Good for me, keeps him away from the spots I like .

Also, recommending a $150 sushi place isn't exactly difficult. It had better be good for that kind of money.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 7:06 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Not many have. I've yet to try the place in question, or Otoko. Life without referral fees is difficult! I have been to Uchi twice though since moving here. Seems Gary doesn't get north of UT or south of Oltorf though, based on his favorites. He possibly hasn't visited Peached since they moved to Burnet, judging from his list of places. Good for me, keeps him away from the spots I like .

Also, recommending a $150 sushi place isn't exactly difficult. It had better be good for that kind of money.
Not sure why he bashes the DC sushi scene, either. DC is thick with everything from strictly traditional joints to places that do haute sushi. I dropped over $150 for 2 people at Kaz sushi last Friday night (mmmm...tuna nigiri with Italian black truffle!!!).

Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż
Old Sep 24, 2016, 9:27 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
I am confused. Is GTL actually suggesting in his post on eight great Marriott redemptions that the Marriott Courtyard in Melbourne, Florida is on the doorstep of Miami? Actual quote from the article: "You’ve got access to Miami beaches."

Well, yes, yes you do. About 180 miles away. Closer would be any of the theme parks in Orlando, the speedway and beaches in Daytona, the theme parks and beaches of Tampa, the beaches, including Sanibel and Captiva, near Ft. Myers, football at the University of Florida in Gainesville (although Tallahassee and Florida State fall outside this distance), and even the golf courses at the TPC south of Jacksonville at Ponte Vedra--although lovely downtown Jacksonville is 10 more miles beyond the radius from Melbourne that would include Miami Beach.

It would be like talking about the access Austin gives you to the nightlife of Houston.

What you talkin' bout Willis?
Old Sep 25, 2016, 7:19 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
I am confused. Is GTL actually suggesting in his post on eight great Marriott redemptions that the Marriott Courtyard in Melbourne, Florida is on the doorstep of Miami? Actual quote from the article: "You’ve got access to Miami beaches."

Well, yes, yes you do. About 180 miles away. Closer would be any of the theme parks in Orlando, the speedway and beaches in Daytona, the theme parks and beaches of Tampa, the beaches, including Sanibel and Captiva, near Ft. Myers, football at the University of Florida in Gainesville (although Tallahassee and Florida State fall outside this distance), and even the golf courses at the TPC south of Jacksonville at Ponte Vedra--although lovely downtown Jacksonville is 10 more miles beyond the radius from Melbourne that would include Miami Beach.

It would be like talking about the access Austin gives you to the nightlife of Houston.

What you talkin' bout Willis?
Sure, my home here in Dayton, Ohio provides "access" to Miami beaches (after a ~20 hour drive).

I guess GTL needs a refresher geography class...or a map?

Or maybe he's just getting in sync with some of the ULCCs who fly to airports far from the metro area that they advertise as the destination...but even then I don't think Ryanair or the like would stretch things that far, would they?

Actually for closer "access" to Miami beaches, one should choose the Bahamas where Freeport is "only" about 112 miles away!

While neither are exactly in my top 10, I'd take the Melbourne area beaches over Miami, personally.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 2:00 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
He claimed 99$ fares to Europe some time ago (never mind that they were one way barebones fares US East coast to KEF), but shame on you if you go for clickbait...��
Old Sep 26, 2016, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gary is NOT one of those people whose dogs are annoying on the plane. Most people don't even know he has a dog when he travels with his.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
Gary is NOT one of those people whose dogs are annoying on the plane. Most people don't even know he has a dog when he travels with his.
Cute doggy though! We need more pics of the dog on the plane instead of Gary in PJs.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 7:31 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by oliver2002
He claimed 99$ fares to Europe some time ago (never mind that they were one way barebones fares US East coast to KEF), but shame on you if you go for clickbait...��
Although I'm willing to carpet bomb GTL, I didn't see this article as classic clickbait. He highlighted eight properties within Marriott's redemption band rates that might be good values, especially for folks unfamiliar with the Marriott program--like Gary. Despite the potential to drop in credit card links, I think that is a totally valid subject for an article given that the Marriott/Starwood merger was complete.

But, as noted in my post, his selection of the Melbourne property, which could be useful for someone interested in a central Florida vacation that might include beach time (on the Melbourne and Cocoa Beach beaches), a quick trip to Orlando for Disney World/Sea World/Universal, and a cruise on one of the Disney cruise ships out of Cape Canaveral, is perfectly valid for a lot more activities than access to the beaches of Miami that are nearly 200 miles away. That tells me that I can't rely on all of the representations he has made about all the other properties he's highlighted.

As I've said before, Gary's an adult, unlike most of the other bloggers. He's held responsible jobs. Despite those good points, his research and analysis frequently fall short--and in this case, for no particularly good reason since he could have pitched the Melbourne hotel in a way that was equally, if not more appealing.

As the bloggers like to say, in the interest of full disclosure, I should reveal that I know about the Melbourne area because of one of the best jobs in my life, a summer job working for NASA at the Kennedy Space Center. No--not a rocket scientist (I think my posts make clear I'm not that smart at all)--but a great time that was the start of the travels in my life. I like to think that the travel I do now comes from the travel I did in that one summer.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 12:19 pm

As a thought leader myself, I thought I would pass along this interesting read on Thought Leaderyness:

7 Signs that You’re NOT a Thought Leader

Thought Leadership is perhaps the most widely used and consistently abused strategy in professional services marketing. There’s diverse opinion regarding what it is, and fuzzy expectations with respect to its benefits.

Our simple definition is that Thought Leadership is a content marketing strategy designed to leverage intellectual capital as a means to engage target audiences.
So here are 7 signs that you’re not cut out to be a Thought Leader:
  1. You call yourself a Thought Leader. Worse yet, you call yourself a “visionary.” Thought Leadership is not a mantle that can be claimed. It’s a market perception that’s earned over time, and an unofficial stature that’s assigned to you by others.
  2. Your editorial content is self-serving. If you’re unwilling to provide insights, information and recommendations without making yourself the hero, or without directly plugging your firm’s products / services, then you’re not really practicing Thought Leadership.
  3. You lack original or interesting ideas. Repurposing “archived” content (a/k/a other people’s thinking), or providing summaries or news reports of information that’s available elsewhere, will likely position you as an industry parrot, rather than a Thought Leader.
  4. You’re not a true student of your craft. Bona fide Thought Leaders are constantly focused on the current state and future direction of their professional discipline. They appreciate that a rising tide floats all boats, and unselfishly share what they know and think.
  5. You think Thought Leadership has a goal line. If you’re looking for instant gratification, and don’t completely believe, at the outset, in the long-term value of Thought Leadership as an ongoing marketing strategy, then simply scratch it off your to-do list.
  6. You refuse to share the spotlight. The most effective Thought Leaders seek to manage, rather than control, the conversation. Rather than pushing their own viewpoint, they define and promote topics and identify people worth paying attention to.
  7. You’re unwilling to work hard. Consistency is the most significant hurdle in the quest for Thought Leadership. To establish a level of top-of-mind awareness required for your target audiences to form and sustain a positive opinion, you need to generate relevant content on a quarterly basis. And that requires personal (or enterprise) discipline.
https://marketingcraftsmanship.com/2...hought-leader/
Old Oct 5, 2016, 12:37 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

So here are 7 signs that you’re not cut out to be a Thought Leader:

You call yourself a Thought Leader.
Originally Posted by kokonutz
As a thought leader myself, I thought I would pass along this interesting read on Thought Leaderyness:
kokonutz is the Thought Leader in Points and Miles Blogs, Seminars, Charters and Websites.
I apologize; but I could not resist...
Old Oct 5, 2016, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Do as kokonutz says, not as kokonutz does .
Old Oct 5, 2016, 12:41 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

An eighth sign is that you have not converted to the metric system and still call yourself a thought quart instead of a thought liter.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by canarsie
so here are 7 signs that you’re not cut out to be a thought leader:

You call yourself a thought leader.i apologize; but i could not resist...
@:-) ^

Old Oct 5, 2016, 8:09 pm

Today's Article: 10 Things I Love About My Chase Ink Cash Card

Correct me if I'm wrong here... but there seem to be some major mistakes in this article. He said he values the points at 1.9 cents apiece, but that's not accurate. It's 1.0 cents apiece. You can't place a value above 1.0 cents UNLESS you have a Sapphire or Ink Plus to transfer the points to.

He is also linking to an article "I value the points at 1.9 cents apiece", but in the article he gives no backing to how he came up with that valuation. What an idiot!

Also, am I wrong here.. but the $95 you pay for a yearly fee (which most get waived at least every other year by calling the retention line) is because you get the Visa Signature benefits?
Old Oct 6, 2016, 4:14 am

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Today's Article: 10 Things I Love About My Chase Ink Cash Card

Correct me if I'm wrong here... but there seem to be some major mistakes in this article. He said he values the points at 1.9 cents apiece, but that's not accurate. It's 1.0 cents apiece. You can't place a value above 1.0 cents UNLESS you have a Sapphire or Ink Plus to transfer the points to.

He is also linking to an article "I value the points at 1.9 cents apiece", but in the article he gives no backing to how he came up with that valuation. What an idiot!

Also, am I wrong here.. but the $95 you pay for a yearly fee (which most get waived at least every other year by calling the retention line) is because you get the Visa Signature benefits?
He does say "...1.9 cents apiece when paired with a premium Chase card like Sapphire Preferred..." since you can transfer the points earned with your Ink to CSP.

I'm guessing the 1.9 cents is based upon transferring UR points to airline programs and some sort of average cash "value" of flights that could be redeemed for award tickets, or something like that. Not sure he really explains it though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.