Community
Wiki Posts
Search

View from the Wing [VFTW] discussions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2017, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Just a general comment but many people nowadays seem to think that a reference or a "H/T" alone immunizes one from the risk of plagiarism or copyright infringement - it doesn't, absent other appropriate permissions or applicable exceptions depending on the usage.
that is not how plagiarism is defined, quoting OED >
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/plagiarism
taking someone else's work or ideas and passing them off as one's own

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 7, 2017 at 12:02 pm
Old Apr 10, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Anyone else notice that Lucky and Gary seem to be posting almost the exact same articles (as in subject matter and "analysis") around the same time?
Old Apr 10, 2017, 9:43 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
that is not how plagiarism is defined, quoting OED >
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/plagiarism
What I said was, a "hat tip" doesn't immunize one from the risk of plagiarism. I didn't say that every blog post that "hat tips" someone is plagiarism. Clearly it depends on the facts.

If you write a paper for school, copying some of it verbatim from a book (without following proper citation to indicate an excerpt or quotation) you've plagiarized - even if you list that book in the bibliography. A blogger who similarly copies verbatim part of his content from another source without proper citation, has plagiarized, notwithstanding a "H/T to Joe Blogger". In both situations there are proper ways of citing and attributing someone else's work within the context of your own work to avoid the appearance of plagiarism. That doesn't always happen in the blogosphere or elsewhere online.

OTOH if the blogger was simply inspired by another blog post but created his own work in writing his own post, then he obviously hasn't plagiarized but a H/T would be the polite thing to do.

(Again, I'm making a general comment not about the specific IHG list thing as I don't remember the specifics how that went down.)

And a "hat tip" alone also doesn't get a free pass from copyright law.

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
Anyone else notice that Lucky and Gary seem to be posting almost the exact same articles (as in subject matter and "analysis") around the same time?
I've noticed that for awhile but seems to be ramping up lately.

Last edited by 84fiero; Apr 10, 2017 at 9:57 am
Old Apr 10, 2017, 12:42 pm

...apparently Gary thinks everyone should be a seasoned traveler and understand how to react in every situation. Sometimes we forget most travelers are not seasoned.

This is a disgraceful analysis of the United incident: http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....e-unavoidable/
Old Apr 10, 2017, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
...apparently Gary thinks everyone should be a seasoned traveler and understand how to react in every situation. Sometimes we forget most travelers are not seasoned.

This is a disgraceful analysis of the United incident: http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....e-unavoidable/
Indeed. I understand the argument about what is and isn't within the terms of the CoC, IDB regs, etc. and whether the passenger was wise to physically refuse to get up....but this post jumped the shark in terms of being tone deaf, for me.

Beating Up a Doctor on a United Flight Was Terrible… But Maybe Unavoidable
I'm curious how it was unavoidable for the passenger to end up bloodied and battered. Forcibly removed or arrested? Perhaps but unavoidably beaten? Dude.

While the police probably could and should have done better, in some sense the man got lucky.
Really? Lucky...because, I guess, he wasn't shot or something?
Old Apr 10, 2017, 2:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

gary gave attribution which means not plagiarism
But it might be a copyright issue. One is unethical, the other illegal.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Beating Up a Doctor on a United Flight Was Terrible… But Maybe Unavoidable"

Unavoidable?

Gary is just trying to steal the spotlight from Pepsi.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 5:35 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Wow.

Not even pretending to be in the side of the consumer.

Well, should engender a lot of comments. Calling him a shill.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
gary gave attribution which means not plagiarism
not sure who started those 2 false allegations
valid argument is regarding HOW it was done

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....-leaked-early/

http://www.headforpoints.com/2014/09...k-from-monday/
Thank you. I stand corrected in using the wrong terminology, but what Seth said below sums it (and this entire thread) all up: Gary seems to be on a slippery slope of ethics.

Originally Posted by sbm12
But it might be a copyright issue. One is unethical, the other illegal.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Wow.

Not even pretending to be in the side of the consumer.

Well, should engender a lot of comments. Calling him a shill.
It's very sad that he attempted to shift the blame from United to the Law Enforcement & Airport Rent-a-cop agencies.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 3:23 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
It's very sad that he attempted to shift the blame from United to the Law Enforcement & Airport Rent-a-cop agencies.

I'm hardly a Gary apologist, but he's completely correct to distinguish between what United did/didn't do VS. what the Dept of Aviation security officers did. It's pretty easy to get all outraged and shout "Ermagerd United!" But breaking down the different elements of what happened and who was responsible is more fruitful. Not saying United did everything right here, of course, but United did not control the manner in which the Good Doctor was removed from the plane.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by Adam1222
I'm hardly a Gary apologist, but he's completely correct to distinguish between what United did/didn't do VS. what the Dept of Aviation security officers did. It's pretty easy to get all outraged and shout "Ermagerd United!" But breaking down the different elements of what happened and who was responsible is more fruitful. Not saying United did everything right here, of course, but United did not control the manner in which the Good Doctor was removed from the plane.
United called the cops, right? Because they couldn't figure out what to do to entice 4 paying customers to get off the plane.

That's the biggest customer service fail I can think of an airline doing. Calling the COPS because they can't do their job. Excusing UA here or shifting blame to the cops is the ultimate shill move. It appears UA's media crisis management team has forced UA to abandon that tack. Perhaps Gary will get the memo today and update his opinion.

I get that the business model is be controversial to get clicks, but is it worth tainting his brand to rub this PR disaster all over himself!?

Last edited by kokonutz; Apr 11, 2017 at 7:06 am
Old Apr 11, 2017, 2:35 pm

United called the cops, right? Because they couldn't figure out what to do to entice 4 paying customers to get off the plane.

That's the biggest customer service fail I can think of an airline doing. Calling the COPS because they can't do their job. Excusing UA here or shifting blame to the cops is the ultimate shill move. It appears UA's media crisis management team has forced UA to abandon that tack. Perhaps Gary will get the memo today and update his opinion.

I get that the business model is be controversial to get clicks, but is it worth tainting his brand to rub this PR disaster all over himself!?
Looks like Munoz issued a crisis consultant re-apology and, as predicted, Gary took a similar tack (taking down a post bashing the victim and replacing it with a 'here's how UA could have responded correctly' post).

I do wonder if Gary has done his brand much harm with his bungling of this situation. His stand now is 'I speak the truth even if it is hard.'
Old Apr 11, 2017, 2:59 pm

Looks like Munoz issued a crisis consultant re-apology and, as predicted, Gary took a similar tack (taking down a post bashing the victim and replacing it with a 'here's how UA could have responded correctly' post).

I do wonder if Gary has done his brand much harm with his bungling of this situation. His stand now is 'I speak the truth even if it is hard.'
Ah, down the old memory hole! I couldn't even bring myself to click on the "Sordid History of the Doctor" post but I can only imagine. I guess speaking the truth changes when with the tides in VFTW land.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 1:47 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

The VFTW in its typical ideological approach has tried to convince the audience that this UA incident shouldn't be taken as a sign of a need for additional regulation of how airlines treat passengers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.