Reload this Page >

View from the Wing [VFTW] discussions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

View from the Wing [VFTW] discussions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2016, 4:29 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
In these types of posts, what is missing in #1 always is, #1. "The sales commission I get paid" for your approval! But I don't think this will help conversions.

It amazes me these BA pumpers keep pumping the 40k Amex Platinum while not saying a word about its other versions (which do not come with an affiliate link). And keep doing it...wow, just wow, no shame at all!
Old Oct 6, 2016, 10:04 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by gpapadop
In these types of posts, what is missing in #1 always is, #1. "The sales commission I get paid" for your approval! But I don't think this will help conversions.

It amazes me these BA pumpers keep pumping the 40k Amex Platinum while not saying a word about its other versions (which do not come with an affiliate link). And keep doing it...wow, just wow, no shame at all!
It's not personal, it's business. @:-)
Old Oct 6, 2016, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero
He does say "...1.9 cents apiece when paired with a premium Chase card like Sapphire Preferred..." since you can transfer the points earned with your Ink to CSP.

I'm guessing the 1.9 cents is based upon transferring UR points to airline programs and some sort of average cash "value" of flights that could be redeemed for award tickets, or something like that. Not sure he really explains it though.

I don't know... I posted a comment on this article and I think he updated the information to reflect that.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 9:41 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I assumed there was some amazing kickback Gary was getting from his *multiple* posts about "Club1 Hotels", claiming it's some amazing website, when in reality the prices do not appear much better than any other OTA, and the notion that a "membership" is worth $675 is insane. The interface is wonky.
Well, thanks to MileNerd, we have the full story. http://www.milenerd.com/2016/10/monday-thoughts/ Gary gets $4 each time someone signs up for this POS website.

This is another example of a woefully inadequate advertiser disclosure. Gary just has his standard language: "I receive compensation for many links on this blog. You don’t have to use these links, but I am grateful to you if you do. American Express, Citibank, Chase, and other banks are advertising partners of this site."
That leaves the reader to guess whether a particular post/link involves a conflict of interest, and by listing banks, many readers would not realize some poorly designed website is giving Gary $4 for each "free signup."
Old Oct 12, 2016, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by Adam1222
I assumed there was some amazing kickback Gary was getting from his *multiple* posts about "Club1 Hotels", claiming it's some amazing website, when in reality the prices do not appear much better than any other OTA, and the notion that a "membership" is worth $675 is insane. The interface is wonky.
Well, thanks to MileNerd, we have the full story. http://www.milenerd.com/2016/10/monday-thoughts/ Gary gets $4 each time someone signs up for this POS website.

This is another example of a woefully inadequate advertiser disclosure. Gary just has his standard language: "I receive compensation for many links on this blog. You don’t have to use these links, but I am grateful to you if you do. American Express, Citibank, Chase, and other banks are advertising partners of this site."
That leaves the reader to guess whether a particular post/link involves a conflict of interest, and by listing banks, many readers would not realize some poorly designed website is giving Gary $4 for each "free signup."
Old Oct 12, 2016, 8:28 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I looked at Club 1 (I got the same offer) and the site is a dog.

I mean, really a dog. You do a search and you get the same hotels appearing twice - with slightly different names - at different prices. I was also getting hostels appearing in my 'luxury' search results.

It's a shame, because I lost at least $4,000 by refusing to write about it.

I should add, by the way, that a blog which does not receive much praise on this board also turned it down on quality grounds.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Raffles
I should add, by the way, that a blog which does not receive much praise on this board also turned it down on quality grounds.
Considering the absurdly low payoff relative to the amount spent, I'd almost rather have the blogger say "hey, if you really want to support the blog, donate $4 to me and spend the other $671 on actual travel things and enjoy yourself." Supporting such a charlatan website, where I honestly feel most people won't see that $675 back, simply because of $4 per person referral would turn me off completely from a blog. Sure, it might be "free" for now, but the fact that they're offering, effectively, "$675 off" ought to tell you something. A Delta Sky Club individual membership is less than that!

Last edited by TheBOSman; Oct 13, 2016 at 7:06 am
Old Oct 13, 2016, 1:57 pm

Mercenaries. We know better, but I feel bad for newcomers who come across sites like these, read a couple great tips, and then fall for the scams or horrendous tips that get mixed in.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 12:24 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
In a way it's nice to have some predictability in life even if it does make you shake your head...

Earlier today VFTW went off on quite a tirade about Delta's non-notice increase on business class awards to India, stating:

This is Egregious Because it Happens Right Away, and It Makes Delta’s Miles Uncompetitive
...but don't worry, Delta's Skymiles program isn't uncompetitive when it comes time to hawk their Amex affiliate link. Later in the day the Delta Amex card links round out VFTW's post The 8 Best Cards from American Express.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero
In a way it's nice to have some predictability in life even if it does make you shake your head...

Earlier today VFTW went off on quite a tirade about Delta's non-notice increase on business class awards to India, stating:

...but don't worry, Delta's Skymiles program isn't uncompetitive when it comes time to hawk their Amex affiliate link. Later in the day the Delta Amex card links round out VFTW's post The 8 Best Cards from American Express.
Originally Posted by nsx
Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown.
BTW something, I didn't realize until recently that AA miles are pretty much as worthless as DL miles in terms of getting international premium cabin awards.

Yet AA gets all the blogger love and DL gets all the blogger hate.

Oh well.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BTW something, I didn't realize until recently that AA miles are pretty much as worthless as DL miles in terms of getting international premium cabin awards.

Yet AA gets all the blogger love and DL gets all the blogger hate.

Oh well.
I do quite well with AA miles. Depends where you want to go though and how you want to get there...
Old Oct 25, 2016, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
I do quite well with AA miles. Depends where you want to go though and how you want to get there...
Int'l business or first not paying BA surcharges, please.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 2:11 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
About a year ago transatlantic AA biz awards were wide open for a few days. I booked 4 tickets for summer 2016 and was fortunate enough to be able to use them unchanged. That's what it takes these days: pouncing on availability glitches. Using miles is almost like booking mistake fares, except that I've never heard of an airline reneging on a booked saver award.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hence why I said when and where . Mediocre for Europe if wanting to avoid BA, but I have had good luck with other routes. Taking "only" my eighth QF F flight on an award in a few weeks, despite their supposed "unicorn" status and how they are "so hard to find!!" . Yawn.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.