Wiki Posts
Search

View from the Wing [VFTW] discussions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2016, 9:13 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Hey he has a new title now "Air Genius"! If it were me, I'd prefer that they provide more substantial cookies rather than print out memes. It would also be less creepy.
I always go for the wine option. @:-)^
Old Jul 11, 2016, 11:34 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Just catching up on links people have sent me after 10 days of travel (makes me SO GLAD I am not a blogger as it would be such a PITA to meticulously document my flights and hotels!) and saw this:

So much for even suspension of disbelief that blogger reviews are not tainted by special treatment...
Interesting he chose the W. He realizes he's not 25, right? I really liked the Hilton a couple blocks away; its on the beach and had an amazing breakfast buffet.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by skunker
Interesting he chose the W. He realizes he's not 25, right? I really liked the Hilton a couple blocks away; its on the beach and had an amazing breakfast buffet.
Ah, but would the Hilton print out his face superimposed on superman's body!?

In the post itself he notes that he 'only' got a regular suite while other bloggers who visited that hotel got 'WOW' suites. But of course he got this, so.....

BTW, side note: I realized traveling this week that this obsession with suite upgrades is silly. We were upgraded at each property we went to to a large superior room and frankly it's all we needed. We were talking about it and decided that only when one of us needs to work does a suite ever become useful...or really even used.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Ah, but would the Hilton print out his face superimposed on superman's body?
One wonders if they cleared that with Marvel? Ethics, you know 😂
Old Jul 11, 2016, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
One wonders if they cleared that with Marvel? Ethics, you know ��
Pedantically, Supe' is DC not Marvel.

And man oh man was that Superman v. Batman a stinker!
Old Jul 11, 2016, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
BTW, side note: I realized traveling this week that this obsession with suite upgrades is silly. We were upgraded at each property we went to to a large superior room and frankly it's all we needed. We were talking about it and decided that only when one of us needs to work does a suite ever become useful...or really even used.
I am typing this in the Presidential Suite of a European SPG hotel! Bit of a waste as I'm on my own but at least I get a proper sofa. And 30 Nespresso capsules - ruined by providing just 2 cups and powdered milk ......
Old Jul 12, 2016, 7:42 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Wow Gary's a lawyer now:

Parents of 13 Year Old Groped on Flight to Portland Suing American Airlines. And They Should Lose

His article makes reference to strict liability which he doesn't understand, nor does it apply here and he also claims:
What happened to this girl was terrible. And it makes sense for the parents to sue American, rather than just the guy who did it, because they have money.
The article is inflammatory and shows his lack of understanding of tort law. Thankfully he's been called out on it.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 9:54 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by CMK10
Wow Gary's a lawyer now:

Parents of 13 Year Old Groped on Flight to Portland Suing American Airlines. And They Should Lose

His article makes reference to strict liability which he doesn't understand, nor does it apply here and he also claims:

The article is inflammatory and shows his lack of understanding of tort law. Thankfully he's been called out on it.
Inflammatory? Sure, but hey it's all about clicks and conversions!

Not the first time he's "analyzed" legal issues and when questioned about it responds that "hey I'm just offering an opinion on what should happen/not happen, never said it was legal analysis".

That's OK, the other day he was an expert at airline operations and fuel hedging, too:

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....ng-fuel-costs/
Old Jul 12, 2016, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by CMK10
Wow Gary's a lawyer now:

Ew. Sucking up to AA by throwing a molested little girl under the bus.

Gross.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 4:42 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Ew. Sucking up to AA by throwing a molested little girl under the bus.

Gross.
I'm not a Gary fan, I am a lawyer; I generally agree that AA shouldn't be liable in tort based on the information we have.

This isn't throwing anyone under the bus. The reality is (nor should it be) that being a molested little girl doesn't de facto make a legal claim against every conceivable entity.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by Adam1222
I'm not a Gary fan, I am a lawyer; I generally agree that AA shouldn't be liable in tort based on the information we have.

This isn't throwing anyone under the bus. The reality is (nor should it be) that being a molested little girl doesn't de facto make a legal claim against every conceivable entity.
I think it's reasonable to let a court examine the facts and determine liability.

But I suppose that such a reasonable notion would not make for a blog post that would generate many views.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 8:33 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
It's ok, need to break it up a little bit, because you know what time it is?

PRESTIGE CARD TIME

Let the countdown begin...

Old Jul 12, 2016, 9:06 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I think it's reasonable to let a court examine the facts and determine liability.

But I suppose that such a reasonable notion would not make for a blog post that would generate many views.

It's unreasonable to say no one can share their opinion about a case other than a Judge. Gary isn't throwing the case out.

A case like this is filed knowing it will play out in the media. You take a risk as to whether the sympathies of your client will increase settlement leverage or whether public opinion will go the other way.

This isn't a good thing or a bad thing; it's the reality. A good plaintiffs lawyer rarely goes to trial.

Again, I'm not a Gary fan boy at all, but this is an insane criticism.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by Adam1222
It's unreasonable to say no one can share their opinion about a case other than a Judge. Gary isn't throwing the case out.

A case like this is filed knowing it will play out in the media. You take a risk as to whether the sympathies of your client will increase settlement leverage or whether public opinion will go the other way.

This isn't a good thing or a bad thing; it's the reality. A good plaintiffs lawyer rarely goes to trial.

Again, I'm not a Gary fan boy at all, but this is an insane criticism.
I do agree strongly with the bolded part above. AA is counting on its shills like Gary to carry water. And he dutifully does.

I'm am generally not a fan of the plaintiffs bar and our sue-happy system, but with so few facts available this feels like a knee-jerk reaction, particularly how strong and definitive the reaction is. And given the sensitivity of the subject at hand I stand by my 'Ew, gross' reaction.

Originally Posted by gpapadop
It's ok, need to break it up a little bit, because you know what time it is?

PRESTIGE CARD TIME

Let the countdown begin...
Hey, a man's gotta eat. It's not like playing armchair lawyer is going to pay many bills!
Old Jul 13, 2016, 7:59 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
AA is counting on its shills like Gary to carry water. And he dutifully does.
That's silly. AA doesn't care what bloggers say about this case. Gary doesn't care what AA thinks. Gary is a libertarian, so he consistently advocates caveat emptor. That's all. Gary's not anyone's puppet any more than you or I.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.