Reload this Page >

View from the Wing [VFTW] discussions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

View from the Wing [VFTW] discussions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2015, 5:35 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
I guess I should add that in addition to the buffet, Gary should consider backing away from the paranoia pills. And the CVSs (or Krogers or Targets). . .
Old Jan 25, 2015, 5:48 pm

This blog has changed. From a valuable source of information
to some kid of middle-age bs preaching. I never go there, but
the Cuba subject attracted my attention. I thought I 'd puke...
Old Jan 25, 2015, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

seems like hes talking about for those who do manufactured spending

let’s say the investigation is for ‘structuring’ bank deposits in a manner that appears to avoid the required reporting of amounts over $10,000. You have a pretty good case you weren’t doing what you were accused of.

I suppose I’m super cautious by nature. Heck, I could be a lot more aggressive on my taxes than I am.

No one is going to be charged for this [Cuba] alone.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 25, 2015 at 6:49 pm
Old Jan 25, 2015, 6:54 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
LarryInNYC said,

If I were really worried about being investigated for structuring financial transactions at the top of my list of what NOT to do would be to publish an article that might as well be titled “Do You Think Going to Cuba Would make It Less Likely I Could Skate on a Charge Of Financial Structuring?” Just sayin’
But don't worry...it's just a hypothetical.

Last edited by kokonutz; Jan 25, 2015 at 7:11 pm
Old Jan 25, 2015, 8:21 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Yep, I knew MS was in there (thus, my CVS, Target, Kroger reference), but honestly, I would never have put together the combination of doing heavy MSing and a Cuba trip--despite all of the concerns that heavy MSing can actually look as if you're laundering money.

In this instance, it appears that the example cited was more than a hypothetical, more than "hey, I have this friend who had this question. . ." And although Gary doesn't do all of the weird routings Ben and other bloggers seem to do, if I were worried about a combination of the appearance of my spending and my travels, going to a newly opened Cuba wouldn't be a combination I'd worry about.

I suspect this was more of a preemptive strike because Cuba, at least currently, probably doesn't have a lot of "aspirational" properties that VFTW can redeem his Hyatt points at, yet is the kind of long-closed destination many readers might actually be interested in reading about--say, rather than another report on what's the best barbecue in the domestic equivalent of the Maldives, Austin, Texas.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:28 pm

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Gary's blog used to be a place for somewhat frequent quality information. He's now the leader of worst click baiter, and 2nd least likely to proofread his posts prior to posting (2nd only to DP).
Old Jan 26, 2015, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
Yep, I knew MS was in there (thus, my CVS, Target, Kroger reference), but honestly, I would never have put together the combination of doing heavy MSing and a Cuba trip--despite all of the concerns that heavy MSing can actually look as if you're laundering money.

In this instance, it appears that the example cited was more than a hypothetical, more than "hey, I have this friend who had this question. . ." And although Gary doesn't do all of the weird routings Ben and other bloggers seem to do, if I were worried about a combination of the appearance of my spending and my travels, going to a newly opened Cuba wouldn't be a combination I'd worry about.

I suspect this was more of a preemptive strike because Cuba, at least currently, probably doesn't have a lot of "aspirational" properties that VFTW can redeem his Hyatt points at, yet is the kind of long-closed destination many readers might actually be interested in reading about--say, rather than another report on what's the best barbecue in the domestic equivalent of the Maldives, Austin, Texas.
There was an implication today in one of his blog posts that he was talking about someone for whom he was providing 'expert witness' services:

I’ve even helped to defend someone from federal criminal charges related to miles and points, and as a result they stayed out of prison. In a very real way, then, the magazine actually saved a life of someone who doesn’t even know it.
That's twice in a couple days he's brought this up in regard to totally unrelated matters.

Seems like the guy he testified for must have gotten off and he's anxious to talk about it but struggling to figure out how to bring it up. Just a guess.

Last edited by kokonutz; Jan 26, 2015 at 6:42 pm
Old Jan 27, 2015, 8:21 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by kokonutz
There was an implication today in one of his blog posts that he was talking about someone for whom he was providing 'expert witness' services:

That's twice in a couple days he's brought this up in regard to totally unrelated matters.

Seems like the guy he testified for must have gotten off and he's anxious to talk about it but struggling to figure out how to bring it up. Just a guess.
Can be darn good money playing expert witness. Plus you can demand your client fly you to the deposition first class .
Old Jan 29, 2015, 6:13 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
My favorite VFTW post in ages - from Conan - Adele sings farewell to Skymall:

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....mall-magazine/
Old Jan 29, 2015, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero
My favorite VFTW post in ages - from Conan - Adele sings farewell to Skymall:

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....mall-magazine/
Wait a tick! That is not Adele!

Old Jan 30, 2015, 12:55 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!

Last edited by SeriouslyLost; Jan 30, 2015 at 2:08 am
Old Jan 30, 2015, 12:35 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Wait a tick! That is not Adele!

No way, COCO never leads us astray!!
Old Jan 31, 2015, 10:59 am

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Gary hit a new low just now... Defending the KL "nut" job
Old Jan 31, 2015, 2:26 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota
Great comments at least
Old Jan 31, 2015, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota
He doesn't get that US airlines have somewhat low service standards in large part because there are cultural differences and differences in the levels of individual rights protection between the countries where such standards tend to be as he sees them "high" (Middle Eastern and Asian) as opposed to those where he sees them as "low" (US and most of Western Europe). Putting Cho in charge of inflight service training and standards of a domestic US airline would probably mean little difference in service, I believe, because US consumers aren't particularly fond of "bow and scrape" service and also because there is a balance between corporate and individual rights and responsibilities.

Gary does tend to have a thing for totalitarianism (favorite vacation destination of Maldives has a long track record) and loved his implicit defense of Qatar in the same post--sort of a variation on the "they were asking for it" defense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.