Reload this Page >

View from the Wing [VFTW] discussions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

View from the Wing [VFTW] discussions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2018, 7:05 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Gary started Milepoint.com in March 2011 together with Randy, Tommy and Ed. As part of that he no longer actively participated on Flyertalk since.
JonNYC and Adam1222 like this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 2:31 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Gary started Milepoint.com in March 2011 together with Randy, Tommy and Ed. As part of that he no longer actively participated on Flyertalk since.
In 2011, even after March, the blogger was actively participating on FT but then the posting indeed dried up. In 2012, no posts at all from VFTW blogger; but in each of the years since 2012, FT got a few posts each year from VFTW blogger. FT doesn’t matter as much to miles/points bloggers as it used to matter, but being “competition” of sort seems to have been the explanation for the huge drop in active participation from 2011 and after.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by GUWonder

In 2011, even after March, the blogger was actively participating on FT but then the posting indeed dried up. In 2012, no posts at all from VFTW blogger; but in each of the years since 2012, FT got a few posts each year from VFTW blogger. FT doesn’t matter as much to miles/points bloggers as it used to matter, but being “competition” of sort seems to have been the explanation for the huge drop in active participation from 2011 and after.
Too bad there are no statistics on how many FT posts are used by travel/credit card bloggers to create 'new' "content"
Old Oct 16, 2018, 12:30 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Gary detailled out his timeline in 2014: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22712597-post49.html
Old Oct 27, 2018, 10:29 am

I have finally noticed that when I go to the VFTW site, the browser tab indicates it is continuously loading... something. Leaving it sit there and then looking over a minute or two, I don't see anything new rendered, so I do wonder why the browser thinks the page hasn't completed loading, Makes me suspect something is going on that I don't want to go on.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xooz
I have finally noticed that when I go to the VFTW site, the browser tab indicates it is continuously loading... something. Leaving it sit there and then looking over a minute or two, I don't see anything new rendered, so I do wonder why the browser thinks the page hasn't completed loading, Makes me suspect something is going on that I don't want to go on.
You need something like Ghostery or uBlock Origin or ....... Plus to keep all of the garbage from loading, and it'll load faster and be done. Also helps (quite a bit!) with FT.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
You need something like Ghostery or uBlock Origin or ....... Plus to keep all of the garbage from loading, and it'll load faster and be done. Also helps (quite a bit!) with FT.
I have the xxxxx Plus plugin that is not to be spoken of in these parts....

So far the VFTW site is the only one that exhibits this anomaly. When you look at the tab in the browser, it shows that it is still clocking the whole time I view it. A further look shows that I get a warning " This page is trying to load scripts from unauthentic sources". so it may be a restrictive browser setting on Google Chrome on my part. Looks like Firefox does not exhibit this.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I find this happening on my own site sometimes - it seems to be an ad which is not loading correctly.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xooz
I have the xxxxx Plus plugin that is not to be spoken of in these parts....

So far the VFTW site is the only one that exhibits this anomaly. When you look at the tab in the browser, it shows that it is still clocking the whole time I view it. A further look shows that I get a warning " This page is trying to load scripts from unauthentic sources". so it may be a restrictive browser setting on Google Chrome on my part. Looks like Firefox does not exhibit this.
Well, I'm pretty sure you aren't missing anything, in any event.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 3:54 pm
Suspended

Did VFTW just pull or bury a blog post about the arrest of some passenger on board a DL flight who was shouting to find out about the Jewish passengers on board the flight?

It was a VFTW story about this incident: https://eu.usatoday.com/story/travel...ne/2085638002/

Maybe the story will come back in a revised version after VFTW reworks the original entry or starts largely from scratch again to factor in the kind of details that have shown up in articles about this incident, including details as found in the following: https://www.timesofisrael.com/man-we...e-on-airplane/

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 23, 2018 at 4:02 pm
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So this is a Daddy Blog now.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:30 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
So this is a Daddy Blog now.
Before I went and looked, somehow I had in mind a different kind of "Daddy" blog! Which would have been vomit-inducing! (I'm not right in the head, I know!)

But anyway, I didn't know Gary had a daughter now (of course I don't read every post so may have missed it). Congrats. Dragging along your offspring adds a whole new wrinkle to travel. Though I'm not sure which is more of a pain - the baby & toddler stages, or the sullen, grumpy teenager stage.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just can't wait for the "Baby Smiles at Flight Attendant and Guess What I Get Free" headlines.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:43 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I just can't wait for the "Baby Smiles at Flight Attendant and Guess What I Get Free" headlines.
I wonder why we didn't see an article titled: "We redeemed hotel points and received the best amenity ever: A baby!".

I'm sure many FT'ers have done exactly that.
josephstern and 84fiero like this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 5:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nsx
I wonder why we didn't see an article titled: "We redeemed hotel points and received the best amenity ever: A baby!".

I'm sure many FT'ers have done exactly that.
Do you expect to find VFTW blogger detailing the location of the baby-making? . Maybe you can speculate on where based on his blog-indicated locations around 11-13 months ago?

The transport of a travel crib for the child when staying at rather high priced hotels seemed a bit overkill. I have to wonder how much luggage he’s checking in nowadays. Some people carry so much stuff when traveling with young children that they can’t even necessarily manage to take the first regular taxi encountered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.