Reload this Page >

View from the Wing [VFTW] discussions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

View from the Wing [VFTW] discussions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2015, 12:46 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Hey, I sit in an elite seat on a plane, so my libertarian ideas will work for air traffic control, right?

Honest to goodness, does he even have any concept of the complexity? Or that it used to be more common for airplanes to crash into each other despite the fact that there were fewer planes in the sky then that traveled at a lot lower speed?

Click bait and pimp credit cards all you want, my man, because I really don't want you to have the slightest bit of influence on the safety of the skies. . .
Old Mar 17, 2015, 5:15 pm

Programs: DL Ham Samich
He served as an "expert witness" in a recent court case, the irony of which, is not lost on me
Old Mar 19, 2015, 12:21 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Platinum
VFTW is doing another Park Hyatt Maldives trip report, and previewed some upcoming excitement:

And while you can find reports online of Emirates first class, I hadn’t ever done it onboard the A380 so my take may be a little bit different. Plus there’s no way I was going to fly that bird and not report on showering in the air.
Can we expect shower selfies...?
Old Mar 19, 2015, 7:40 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by stackm
VFTW is doing another Park Hyatt Maldives trip report, and previewed some upcoming excitement:

Can we expect shower selfies...?
Just what we needed - more cowbell!

I hope no shower selfies, though!

btw I glanced at your post too quickly at first and though your first sentence ended with "...previewed some upcoming excrement:"
Old Mar 21, 2015, 2:54 pm

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Just what we needed - more cowbell!

I hope no shower selfies, though!

btw I glanced at your post too quickly at first and though your first sentence ended with "...previewed some upcoming excrement:"
Well, excrement is actually what I expect anyhow
Old Apr 9, 2015, 5:02 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....ess-than-1200/

I was searching one-way fares from Dubai to Austin as part of playing around with a trip I’m considering and deciding also whether or not to burn Alaska Airlines miles now that you can use Alaska miles again for Emirates first class.

And I came across something interesting. One way, Dubai – Austin, brings up some pretty cheap first class (note: this is a search for first and not business class) fares.
Incidentally, the same fare was posted on FT 45 minutes before Gary's post.

Apparently the fare has been around since Feb 3rd.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 7:29 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by work2fly

I haven't read the linked post because I don't go to BA sites these days due to malware issues, but...

It was on the private listservs a couple hours before it was on FT.

And yes, Gary is on those.

He is usually pretty good at HTs. Assuming there is none there, maybe it's because he saw it on the listserv before he saw it on FT.

Edited To Add, it's not clear that it was on the private listservs before it was on FT...might be a time zone thing...

Last edited by kokonutz; Apr 9, 2015 at 7:45 pm
Old Apr 9, 2015, 7:30 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by work2fly

The best part is that he actually admits he is reading the thread, but he did not steal it from FT.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 8:18 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm just happy to be mentioned in the comments
Old Apr 9, 2015, 8:31 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by CMK10
I'm just happy to be mentioned in the comments
^
Old Apr 10, 2015, 1:44 pm

IMHO, it is completely plausible that the VFTW blogger, who lives in Austin, was searching for F fares DXB-AUS due to travel needs.

IMHO, it would be utterly insane if said blogger did not purchase the ridiculously low fully refundable and flexible F fare encountered before blogging about it, if he was truly searching that market due to travel needs.

Therefore, if the VFTW blogger truly found this fare before the FT poster, we would expect the VFTW blogger to have multiple tickets issued. Right? It was F on some decent airlines, ridiculously cheap and fully refundable. Buy it up and use it if you need to. The VFTW blogger is not randomly searching the internet for whichever city pairs he feels like looking for mistake fares. That's a waste of the VFTW blogger's time. Credit cards don't pimp themselves ya know!

So, I have yet to see a post or comment from the VFTW blogger indicating whether any tickets were purchased or what itinerary he is flying or which website he used to price it out (ITA screenshots were in the original post but of course can't purchase there!).
Maybe I missed them and can be pointed in the right direction.

Or maybe I can find some other evidence of tickets being issued. Or not.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 9:37 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
The Real Reason Bloggers use Click-Bait Titles: It's Not What You Think

...except that it's exactly what you think.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 9:33 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by nsx
The Real Reason Bloggers use Click-Bait Titles: It's Not What You Think

...except that it's exactly what you think.
^^

Have always enjoyed VFTW, but those click-bait titles are far too common recently. Not too long ago, all posts were visible on the front page.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 6:02 am

I'm an idiot and - I clicked on "the most entitled passenger" story -
the post was a set of links, still have no idea which one was it...

Never again, this is pure garbage.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:44 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Big_Foot
I'm an idiot and - I clicked on "the most entitled passenger" story -
the post was a set of links, still have no idea which one was it...

Never again, this is pure garbage.
Gary is getting more criticism than I've ever seen in the comments section of that post: http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....ge-1/#comments

The combination of non-informative/clickbait post titles and truncated RSS/email text is alienating loyal readers much more than either factor could alone.

I always thought that blogs would overtake discussion forums like FT, but practices like this create quite an opportunity to capture or recapture readership.

The one useful aspect of the new BoardingArea layout is the list of recent comments. I go straight to that and ignore everything else. That makes the site work almost like a forum on FT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.