Wiki Posts
Search

View from the Wing [VFTW] discussions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2015, 11:52 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by whlinder
He pulled the lack of understanding of complexity out this morning on a comment on CrankyFlier's good post:
http://crankyflier.com/2015/09/15/am...ane-to-hawaii/

For someone who travels as much as him the failure to understand the importance of following process and procedures in aviation is mindblowing.
Give AA a break! They deserve it. They are AWESOME.

BTW, the IFE in Business on the new AA 767 config is a JOKE: no IFE until 40 minutes into the flight? Eff that. And the layflats are not actually flat and are VERY confining and I am a relatively slim guy. No wonder Gary avoids them in favor of F on Asian carriers! @:-)

Not sure why Gary is such an AApologist, but there it is.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 11:54 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
I don't have the book, I'm afraid, but I'm still unaware of any specific claim by Reagan that ATC controllers were "overpaid." I had also only remembered Reagan's support from the Teamsters. (I may be practically the only poster on Flyer Talk, by the way, to have heard Jimmy Hoffa speak; he visited my high school to give a talk on education, a more than slight irony that he himself wryly pointed out.)

On another subject, why, oh why, does Gary think it's worth posting about the "37 Rental Cars" trip report ten days after it went up? Ben, too? (Sharp folks like the posters here will notice that my congratulations missed being the first by four minutes.) Maybe the assumption is that readers know nothing?

Personally, I've always taken the position that talking down to people is a mistake. At least some of them are bound not to be idiots and, as Lincoln once observed in a somewhat related context, actions based on any contrary assumption are bound to come to grief sooner or later.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 12:52 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Give AA a break! They deserve it. They are AWESOME.

BTW, the IFE in Business on the new AA 767 config is a JOKE: no IFE until 40 minutes into the flight? Eff that. And the layflats are not actually flat and are VERY confining and I am a relatively slim guy. No wonder Gary avoids them in favor of F on Asian carriers! @:-)

Not sure why Gary is such an AApologist, but there it is.
"Access" -- no less so whether it's achieved or whether it's a (possibly moving) goal -- makes some into apologists. And then there are the apologists for the apologists. It's been an issue in journalism, finance and other sectors, private and public.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 1:38 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by FallenPlat
On another subject, why, oh why, does Gary think it's worth posting about the "37 Rental Cars" trip report ten days after it went up? Ben, too? (Sharp folks like the posters here will notice that my congratulations missed being the first by four minutes.) Maybe the assumption is that readers know nothing?

Personally, I've always taken the position that talking down to people is a mistake. At least some of them are bound not to be idiots and, as Lincoln once observed in a somewhat related context, actions based on any contrary assumption are bound to come to grief sooner or later.
Because it was in the Talkmail email this morning. They can't even be bothered to read FT anymore, just wait until Talkmail tells them what is important.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by skunker
Because it was in the Talkmail email this morning. They can't even be bothered to read FT anymore, just wait until Talkmail tells them what is important.
@:-)
Old Sep 15, 2015, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skunker
That's funny. I was wondering why it showed up on the blogs today. I guess all of the FT forums aren't on Gary's 275 site list that he constantly reads.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 8:05 pm

Taking quite a comments beating for his click-baity avios (minus the fuel fee) post title.

Personally I saw BA in the title and knew it would be CB. But clicked anyway just to read the comments of those who were suckered...until Gary knocked the wind out of their eager sails in the last line of the post:

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....rip-seriously/
Old Sep 16, 2015, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That was a pathetic one.

I could do that same flight for 1,000 Wells Fargo miles (plus some cash).
Old Sep 16, 2015, 9:27 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
But still worth it just for the snipe from the inimitable Mark, who's still the funniest (and most succinct) troll on BA: "Holy clickbait!"
Old Sep 16, 2015, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by whlinder
He pulled the lack of understanding of complexity out this morning on a comment on CrankyFlier's good post:
http://crankyflier.com/2015/09/15/am...ane-to-hawaii/

For someone who travels as much as him the failure to understand the importance of following process and procedures in aviation is mindblowing.
i think some of this is interpretation
Old Sep 17, 2015, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
i think some of this is interpretation

Go on...
Old Sep 17, 2015, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

gary does not seem like a big L libertarian to me

he has at least some libertarian views

i think many of the comments here, even when referencing that, are lacking context
Old Sep 22, 2015, 7:41 am

What's with the obsession/weird speculation over UA 4453?

He claims to have inside information on the incident but the assertions he makes make no sense from an aviation, logistical nor operational perspective.

It's basically like talking to a FA about the MP program and repeating that FA's assertions as fact (something that happens ALL too often on FlyerTalk, btw).
Old Sep 22, 2015, 8:04 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by kokonutz
TSA
Elliott
pancakes
credit cards
Alan H.
yawn
Old Oct 5, 2015, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Starwood and Delta are sort of BFFs. Which I always chalked up to the fact that Jeff Robertson, who used to run SkyMiles, is a super styling kind of guy. And so is Chris Holdren who runs SPG."

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....r-with-hilton/

I get it from the context, I suppose, but I can't even get a hit in a slang dictionary for "super styling." Is this a common term? Did I miss some cultural event?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.