Search

View from the Wing [VFTW] discussions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2015, 6:03 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Sometimes comments have to be approved by Gary.

But there's a weird thing there where if I comment as 'kokonutz' the post never appears. If I post as 'kokomutz' it does.

Maybe our user names are blocked!?

Nah, your comments are up there.

FWIW, Gary's not an AEI guy. He's a Koch/libertarian guy.

And it seems really important to him to have been the one to take Delta Pesos and made it SkyPesos. So we ought to just give it to him. ^

Of course, if I was Delta I'm not sure I'd even bother messing with the Freddies since it's operator hates them so much.
My comments were not all up there the entire time after I had posted them. They are showing now -- after I had posted in this thread today about at least one of them not showing up.

Maybe "nutz" has an issue with a profanity filter due to a potential sexual connotation of that part of the name? I don't have that issue.

I am a critic of what DL management has done to SkyMiles, but I don't hate DL as an airline. I think much the same can be said for his views of DL: the airline runs an effective operation but has a lousy, customer-unfriendly approach to FFP customers.

His views of anti-trust issues when it comes to airlines is straight out of the American Enterprise Institute playbook. The Koch family has some affiliations -- at least past ones -- with AEI. Of that I have zero doubt.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 7, 2015 at 6:08 pm
Old Aug 8, 2015, 9:28 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by GUWonder
My comments were not all up there the entire time after I had posted them. They are showing now -- after I had posted in this thread today about at least one of them not showing up.
The good news is that posting problems about his blog here typically gets them resolved very quickly. ^

I agree with you that Gary shaming DL can only have a positive effect. That's why we should let him run with the SkyPesos thing unchallenged if it gets his shaming more ink.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 2:05 pm

<shaking head slowly>
Old Aug 9, 2015, 11:17 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Gary has a lot of really great content, especially on American Airlines, which is why I follow his blog.

The proofreading and grammar, on the other hand, are often so bad -- by far the worst among the blogs I actually follow -- that I sometimes have to reread a passage several times to understand the point that's being made.

I don't understand the point of those "news aggregation" posts either, but I guess that's an entirely separate topic.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by FallenPlat
Gary has a lot of really great content, especially on American Airlines, which is why I follow his blog.

The proofreading and grammar, on the other hand, are often so bad -- by far the worst among the blogs I actually follow -- that I sometimes have to reread a passage several times to understand the point that's being made.

I don't understand the point of those "news aggregation" posts either, but I guess that's an entirely separate topic.
Agree on both counts: Gary is still putting out great content for the most part after all these years...and in a mature, professional way. ^

Except for the typos, grammar, etc. I highlighted the one above because I had to read it four times before I could figure out what the heck he was talking about. It seems like that'd be easy to fix.

As for the RSS posts, it's got to be hard to keep up the blistering pace he sets. Filler posts like that help.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 11:49 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
As for the RSS posts, it's got to be hard to keep up the blistering pace he sets.
Why is it more profitable to put out 1 good post and 4 so-so posts a day rather than just the one or two good posts? The latter would seem to attract a loyal audience. Is the loyal audience unprofitable compared to people who read a few times and leave forever?
Old Aug 9, 2015, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nsx
Why is it more profitable to put out 1 good post and 4 so-so posts a day rather than just the one or two good posts? The latter would seem to attract a loyal audience. Is the loyal audience unprofitable compared to people who read a few times and leave forever?
Loyalty doesn't bring in credit card apps.

Google does.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 8:32 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I thought this post on Singapore was nice to see for a change. Not anything earth-shattering but just good to see a "regular" post, for lack of a better term.I enjoyed reading it.

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....d-destination/
Old Aug 11, 2015, 4:24 am

As for the RSS posts, it's got to be hard to keep up the blistering pace he sets. Filler posts like that help.
I also do the RSS/Recap posts, for me I do it for two reasons:
  • Somebody else writes something really insightful/interesting/worth sharing
  • It's a piece of news/deal that I think is worth mentioning but not dedicated a whole blog post to.

It's a nice way to give some traffic to smaller blogs/bloggers and encourage them to keep posting quality content. It's also a way of me to relate news/information which I know some readers will find useful, but the majority will not.

I assume Gary does it for similar reasons, but I don't presume to speak on his behalf. Personally I like those round up type posts.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 9:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
I've been the recipient of the good doctor's links before. It's a nice traffic boost and is a great motivator. Always appreciated.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
Originally Posted by bthotugigem05
I've been the recipient of the good doctor's links before. It's a nice traffic boost and is a great motivator. Always appreciated.
Gary also links out to many of us smaller bloggers, I've always found him to be incredibly generous with his traffic like that. Wouldn't be blogging today if it weren't for a few references of his when I was thinking of throwing in the towel.

Last edited by bthotugigem05; Aug 11, 2015 at 7:28 pm
Old Aug 13, 2015, 2:57 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat. WOH Glob. SQ Gold
Originally Posted by bthotugigem05
Gary also links out to many of us smaller bloggers, I've always found him to be incredibly generous with his traffic like that. Wouldn't be blogging today if it weren't for a few references of his when I was thinking of throwing in the towel.
Well he is The Godfather of The Hobby. I just hope you are ready when someday, and that day may never come, he will call upon you to do a service for him.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 12:17 am

Read a few posts in other places here on FT mentioning that Gary lifted them and used them. Thought I'd take a look to see the timeline of both, and turns out I'm blocked from VFTW on Twitter.

I rarely if ever tweet, just follow the news there. But I remember the only interaction I had was once when Gary got caught stealing the loyalty lobby post sometime last year I mentioned him in a retweet. Looks like I got the axe for that. Interesting approach.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by maverick17
Read a few posts in other places here on FT mentioning that Gary lifted them and used them. Thought I'd take a look to see the timeline of both, and turns out I'm blocked from VFTW on Twitter.

I rarely if ever tweet, just follow the news there. But I remember the only interaction I had was once when Gary got caught stealing the loyalty lobby post sometime last year I mentioned him in a retweet. Looks like I got the axe for that. Interesting approach.
At least you didn't wake up with a horse head in your bed!!!

Ben unfriended me on FB when I pointed out something he didn't like. You'd think these guys would have thicker skin.

There is always this forum!
Old Aug 14, 2015, 2:01 pm

At least you didn't wake up with a horse head in your bed!!!

Ben unfriended me on FB when I pointed out something he didn't like. You'd think these guys would have thicker skin.

There is always this forum!
Yeah, a bit quick with the trigger. But I guess you have to protect your brand and so forth. It's not like I was gonna give him my business anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.