Community
Wiki Posts
Search

View from the Wing [VFTW] discussions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2015, 12:28 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by josephstern
The ability to hold and cancel easily is pretty nice. Haven't used it. But it's a reason I like having status with Delta.

I did fly KE first in that Myanmar deal. Liked it a lot.

I'm not sure he's so wrong.
Not to mention the amazing First Class award availability. It's simply the best of all the major programs out there - you can basically find multiple seats on multiple days for any week over the next year.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by sfoactuary
Not to mention the amazing First Class award availability.
Wait just a little bit and it's gonna be gone.
This guy with his buddy Ben completely DESTROYED Etihad First option.

Last edited by Big_Foot; Aug 30, 2015 at 3:11 am
Old Sep 11, 2015, 9:39 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
I do think the other day's BA accident at Las Vegas shows how silly to dangerous the proposal to get rid of ATC is. While the pilot has to spend 100% of his efforts on Aviate with the engine fire situation, ATC has his back at a very busy airport, handling the crucial Communicate in the situation, calling out emergency services, closing runways, and quickly telling two planes that had been cleared to land that they needed to go round NOW. Take away someone else having Communicate in this kind of scenario, and you can easily end up with Tenerife 2: Las Vegas Electric Boogaloo. It's darn dangerous to have a large jet stopped in the middle of a runway of a busy airport, and you need a strong system in place to create time and space around the stopped plane ASAP.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 3:19 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by beachmouse
I do think the other day's BA accident at Las Vegas shows how silly to dangerous the proposal to get rid of ATC is. While the pilot has to spend 100% of his efforts on Aviate with the engine fire situation, ATC has his back at a very busy airport, handling the crucial Communicate in the situation, calling out emergency services, closing runways, and quickly telling two planes that had been cleared to land that they needed to go round NOW. Take away someone else having Communicate in this kind of scenario, and you can easily end up with Tenerife 2: Las Vegas Electric Boogaloo. It's darn dangerous to have a large jet stopped in the middle of a runway of a busy airport, and you need a strong system in place to create time and space around the stopped plane ASAP.
I know he's done this in the past, but has he made this argument again recently? I'm now blissfully out of the loop, having avoided GTL and Ben for a couple of months now.

GTL's failure to understand the complexity of life outside loyalty programs and credit cards is pretty appalling to me. His stand on ATC illustrates that for me.

I don't know that many pilots, especially commercial pilots, would back his stand. Although I'm not a pilot, I was the passenger on a small Cessna many years ago on a flight from New Orleans to Lafayette, and because the plane was small and the engine was loud, all of us wore headphones with mics in order to communicate in the cabin--literally, you could not talk to the person next to you, you'd only see their lips move even if they shouted.

A side benefit of that experience, however, was listening to the air traffic control handoffs during this relatively short flight. You're always in somebody's airspace and they want to know who you are and what path you're going. We were a small plane on a short trip, but when you multiply out the world's airspace and the number of planes in it, I think the complexity of the problem reveals itself.

And I'm reminded today of a little bit of knowledge I gained on that terrible morning when the planes hit in NYC, DC, and Pennsylvania: there were 5000 planes in the air that had to be brought down immediately. I'd never stopped and thought about how many planes were flying at any one time before then. It seems GTL still hasn't.

GTL is clearly not a dumb guy, but as I've said before, there's one less really smart guy when he's in a room than he thinks there is. Some of that is just due to his philosophical bias: if you just let individuals do what they want to do, everything would be better. That bias ignores the complexity of life, from air traffic control to the need for some sort of government regulation of business to protect consumers (I'll concede that the "sort" is fairly open to debate) to the interplay between the generosity of an airline's FFP to the overall operation of the airline.

As I've also said before, I'm happy when he sticks to pushing credit cards because I surely would not wish to live in the world constructed on his philosophical beliefs.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium

Wait, what??? Who the heck wants to take away ATC? What? What? How did I miss that tidbit?

I know a bunch of people who survived the Tenerife flight. Not to sound too obvious but isnt ATC very very necessary.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

EY has gotten rid of F availability?

"GTL" = gary? middle name T? re him being an idiot, ive never understood his job title being ignored in this forum.

did he say "get rid of ATC" or did he say privatize it?
Old Sep 12, 2015, 11:18 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
It was him asserting that ATC was no longer necessary/a waste of money because the anti-collision systems in modern aircraft were good enough on their own to prevent crashes in the sky. He rather missed the point that it was the takeoff/landing and taxiing/on the ground actions at a high volume airport that were the far bigger dangers and reasons for ATC to stay as it was.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

link?
Old Sep 13, 2015, 12:51 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Just search VFTW for 'air traffic control': its a recurring theme since 2004.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
EY has gotten rid of F availability?
Try to book some and tell me how it went...
Unless you like Indian food and fly from NYC, only single random dates
are left, basically matching the levels of CX, ANA etc
Used to be wide open for a long time until those guys published
their reviews number 1000 about an "amazing Etihad experience"
Old Sep 15, 2015, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
GTL's failure to understand the complexity of life outside loyalty programs and credit cards is pretty appalling to me. His stand on ATC illustrates that for me.
He pulled the lack of understanding of complexity out this morning on a comment on CrankyFlier's good post:
http://crankyflier.com/2015/09/15/am...ane-to-hawaii/

For someone who travels as much as him the failure to understand the importance of following process and procedures in aviation is mindblowing.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 6:40 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
It was him asserting that ATC was no longer necessary/a waste of money because the anti-collision systems in modern aircraft were good enough on their own to prevent crashes in the sky. He rather missed the point that it was the takeoff/landing and taxiing/on the ground actions at a high volume airport that were the far bigger dangers and reasons for ATC to stay as it was.
Perhaps he's still pining for the days when the POTUS canned striking "overpaid" ATC.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 10:04 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Politics completely aside, I would just respectfully remind you that federal employees such as ATC workers were, and are, statutorily prohibited from striking. I don't recall any Federal claim -- from Reagan on down -- that traffic controllers were "overpaid." Am I missing something?
Old Sep 15, 2015, 10:10 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by FallenPlat
Politics completely aside, I would just respectfully remind you that federal employees such as ATC workers were, and are, statutorily prohibited from striking. I don't recall any Federal claim -- from Reagan on down -- that traffic controllers were "overpaid." Am I missing something?
Being "statutorily prohibited from striking" doesn't mean it didn't happen:

Although there were 39 illegal work stoppages against the federal government between 1962 and 1981, no significant federal job actions followed Reagan’s firing of the Patco strikers.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/03/op...ions.html?_r=0
Old Sep 15, 2015, 11:05 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by FallenPlat
Collision Course: Ronald Reagan, the Air Traffic Controllers, and the Strike ...
By Joseph A. McCartin

Still missing it?

Sort of ironic given whom PATCO backed and whom PATCO opposed when it came to the fall of 1980.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.