Search

View from the Wing [VFTW] discussions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2015, 3:43 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Copy that, for I agree in full with the above, with a carve out for "never".

I find that VFTW also seems even more sensationalistic on slow-news Sunday.
Today's topic on VFTW? Walker over Trump for a R POTUS, I kid you not. Slow news Sunday.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 7:31 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Today's topic on VFTW? Walker over Trump for a R POTUS, I kid you not. Slow news Sunday.
Walker is a Koch kinda kid.

ETA: Oh, I see you made that point in the comments!
Old Aug 17, 2015, 2:12 pm

Gary defends Delta from other blogger's accusation of 'hate-shaming' customers into upsells!

http://www.msnbc.com/newsnation/watc...--506776131645
Old Aug 18, 2015, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Gary defends Delta from other blogger's accusation of 'hate-shaming' customers into upsells!

http://www.msnbc.com/newsnation/watc...--506776131645
This is one time I have to agree with Gary. Why would Delta even offer these fares (on certain routes only) to compete with Spirit, etc. if they didn't want the consumer to buy them?
Old Aug 18, 2015, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by MarkMColo
This is one time I have to agree with Gary. Why would Delta even offer these fares (on certain routes only) to compete with Spirit, etc. if they didn't want the consumer to buy them?
It's an interesting proposition, Delta trying to be both a legacy as well as a low cost, high fees carrier. Sort of creating a class BELOW economy.

Not sure why an aspirational FC flights blogger is opining about economy minus minus on an airline he never flies, but I suppose he IS the rebranded Thought Leader in Travel! ^
Old Aug 18, 2015, 11:43 am

why an aspirational FC flights blogger is opining about economy minus minus on an airline he never flies...
he LOVES seeing his own face (and more) on tv, that's pretty obvious.
Subject doesn't matter.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 1:30 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
It's an interesting proposition, Delta trying to be both a legacy as well as a low cost, high fees carrier. Sort of creating a class BELOW economy.

Not sure why an aspirational FC flights blogger is opining about economy minus minus on an airline he never flies, but I suppose he IS the rebranded Thought Leader in Travel! ^
I'd consider a "follow the money" angle to this. I haven't followed his blog for over a month or so now, but the trend towards more favorable coverage of Delta that began (coincidentally, I'm sure) with the increased Amex DL bonus seems to be continuing. Maybe he figured out that his postings weren't stopping revenue-based FFPs (hey, GTL, incisive thought leading on that issue), that AA is on the way to that idea, and with the changed landscape, some fence mending with DL (and Amex, by the way) was in order.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 1:40 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
This may be a new record for dumbest article he's posted:

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....asyjet-flight/
Old Aug 18, 2015, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CMK10
This may be a new record for dumbest article he's posted:

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....asyjet-flight/
It's all about keeping up that post count. And he's got three comments on it already!

He must have news alerts that include just about everything travel-related. He really finds insignificant garbage all the time.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Gary has a great blog and I'm truly a fan and a loyal reader, but sometimes the whole grammar and proofreading thing becomes almost more than I can take. Here's a more-or-less random snippet from today:

"There’s a halo effect from the over-the-top front cabins. But US airlines can compete and win against the Middle East airliens. So they should shut up and stop complaining, they’re subsidized too. Instead focus on their assets and work to do better. Don’t whine to government to try to reduce options and raise prices on US consumers."

So the first sentence is fine. After that, hmm, do you see what I see? I see (in order) a typo, a comma splice, a missing comma, some not-so-idiomatic dropped words in three different places, and a strange use of "on" instead of "for."

The substance of the post is fine, and others have made the same point, namely, that the ME airlines really aren't so hot once you leave the rarified atmosphere of F.

Again, I'm a fan. I just wish some of this stuff were easier on the eyes. Or on mine, anyway.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 3:50 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by FallenPlat
Gary has a great blog and I'm truly a fan and a loyal reader, but sometimes the whole grammar and proofreading thing becomes almost more than I can take. Here's a more-or-less random snippet from today:

"There’s a halo effect from the over-the-top front cabins. But US airlines can compete and win against the Middle East airliens. So they should shut up and stop complaining, they’re subsidized too. Instead focus on their assets and work to do better. Don’t whine to government to try to reduce options and raise prices on US consumers."

So the first sentence is fine. After that, hmm, do you see what I see? I see (in order) a typo, a comma splice, a missing comma, some not-so-idiomatic dropped words in three different places, and a strange use of "on" instead of "for."

The substance of the post is fine, and others have made the same point, namely, that the ME airlines really aren't so hot once you leave the rarified atmosphere of F.

Again, I'm a fan. I just wish some of this stuff were easier on the eyes. Or on mine, anyway.
Gary has mentioned this a couple of times, and is openly proud of his lack of taking the time to proofread. Which seems strange to me.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Gary has mentioned this a couple of times, and is openly proud of his lack of taking the time to proofread. Which seems strange to me.
He also admits this morning that he makes click-baity headlines on purpose because it amuses him, eg:

The American Express Lounge in Seattle Gets Jam Packed. You’ll Never Believe What They Had to Do Last Night.
Fwiw, he suggests he could have made the headline even more click baity with something like 'you can get a FREE $20 Starbucks gift card using this one weird trick'

Ha ha ha?

The underlying story is not amusing, though: the Centurian Club overcrowding has gotten out of hand and it seems likely that Amex will have to further restrict access and/or change the business model.

Which might make it less of a boon for bloggers hawking the expensive Amex cards.

Last edited by kokonutz; Aug 22, 2015 at 10:02 am
Old Aug 22, 2015, 11:39 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
He also admits this morning that he makes click-baity headlines on purpose because it amuses him, eg:

Fwiw, he suggests he could have made the headline even more click baity with something like 'you can get a FREE $20 Starbucks gift card using this one weird trick'

Ha ha ha?

The underlying story is not amusing, though: the Centurian Club overcrowding has gotten out of hand and it seems likely that Amex will have to further restrict access and/or change the business model.

Which might make it less of a boon for bloggers hawking the expensive Amex cards.
The free Starbucks card game has been played by way of a BA lounge at LHR. Now the game has its match on the US side of the LHR-SEA/SEA-LHR service.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 10:40 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I'm just getting tired of VFTW pushing those referral links through exaggerating KE's first class. Yes KE's F is not half bad BUT 1. redeem 80,000 pts for one-way plus YQ is simply stupid. 2. KE's blackout period is extensive. 3. KE's safety record is not very impressive.

What do you guys think?
Old Aug 25, 2015, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mediator
I'm just getting tired of VFTW pushing those referral links through exaggerating KE's first class. Yes KE's F is not half bad BUT 1. redeem 80,000 pts for one-way plus YQ is simply stupid. 2. KE's blackout period is extensive. 3. KE's safety record is not very impressive.

What do you guys think?
The ability to hold and cancel easily is pretty nice. Haven't used it. But it's a reason I like having status with Delta.

I did fly KE first in that Myanmar deal. Liked it a lot.

I'm not sure he's so wrong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.