View from the Wing [VFTW] discussions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

View from the Wing [VFTW] discussions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2016, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
From one of today's posts, I rather gather that Gary is a NeverTrump guy. It's his blog, of course, and he can say what he wants, but I don't read View from the Wing for its politics.

Others might like that stuff.

Personally, I like the airplanes and the travel. That's it.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 3:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by FallenPlat
...but I don't read View from the Wing for its politics.
Are you just now noticing that content in the posts? He does it relatively often IMO.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 5:53 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by FallenPlat
From one of today's posts, I rather gather that Gary is a NeverTrump guy. It's his blog, of course, and he can say what he wants, but I don't read View from the Wing for its politics.

Others might like that stuff.

Personally, I like the airplanes and the travel. That's it.
He's an avowed Koch-ian 'libertarian.'
Old Apr 20, 2016, 9:26 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat. WOH Glob. SQ Gold
Originally Posted by kokonutz
He's an avowed Koch-ian 'libertarian.'
All power to the free market! Well, except for dynamic pricing of award bookings of course.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 7:01 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by chad75
All power to the free market! Well, except for dynamic pricing of award bookings of course.
Bad for award booking business doncha know!?

On a separate topic, I saw this and thought of VFTW: https://www.theinformation.com/escap...edia-crap-trap

Digital media companies are caught in the "crap trap," mass-producing trashy clickbait so they can claim huge audiences and often higher valuations.

Here is how they fell into this lethal trap: They got into the content game to produce news or info they might be proud of, believing they could lure us to read it and maybe even pay for it. They quickly realized it's expensive to produce quality content and hard to get a lot of people to click on it, much less pay for it. So they deluded themselves that the better play was to go for the biggest audience possible, using stupid web tricks to draw them in. These include misleading but clicky headlines, feel-good lists, sexy photos and exploding watermelons.

And it appeared to work. Traffic spiked. Costs were contained. But revenue never followed because everyone else was doing the same tricks and getting the same spikes—and the simple law of supply and demand drove down the value of their inventory. This dynamic helps explain why Mashable recently laid off so many journalists, BuzzFeed saw its growth miss the mark and many media companies and investors are freaked out.

Here's the good news: This era is getting flushed away. Some companies feel self-conscious about the trash they are producing. Many others realize it's simply not a good business model. But the savviest ones see a very cool reason to change: A content revolution is picking up speed, promising a profitable future for companies that can lock down loyal audiences, especially those built around higher-quality content.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 10:02 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by kokonutz
A content revolution is picking up speed, promising a profitable future for companies that can lock down loyal audiences, especially those built around higher-quality content.
I haven't seen much evidence of this. These days I mostly read blogs which have very few but high-quality posts, but content still wants to be free. I think someone will always offer good content for free, just as FT does.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've got to say, as the signal to noise ratio on this blog gets lower and lower, I'm soon to put it in the pile with TPG and MMS and FTG - all are gone from my Feedly, and even if I do a Google search and get a hit on one of those sites, I won't bother.

Gary seems to be just posting random thoughts these days. But I guess I do still get a little guilty pleasure reading about things as inane as the coffee filter scenario and how much nonsense he read into that situation. He's like a community college English teacher.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 10:54 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Yes, thanks for the reminder on the libertarian thing. I had forgotten.

I guess what really annoys me, as already noted immediately above, is the steadily deteriorating signal-to-noise ratio. I still tune in, but there sure is a lot of static -- and I don't just mean the click-bait titles either.

The quality is still there. That's why I read. You just have to look harder for it.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 1:15 am

Programs: DL Ham Samich
I'd much rather be known and respected by few than known by many without their respect.

I reckon (possibly first time I've ever used that word) Gary doesn't feel the same
Old Apr 22, 2016, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
His response to TPG getting the AMEX Black Card has been fantastic

Post 1: I agree AMEX Black is garbage and I had to write a post evaluating it even though I don't have one because TPG got one so everyone must know my thoughts

Post 2 (today): Well maybe there is value for a few people but I still conclude it's a terrible card (translation: I don't have an affiliate link for it so not going to push it)

I'm not sure why VFTW felt the need to provide his own commentary on TPG getting the AMEX Black Card though...
Old Apr 22, 2016, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Duke787
His response to TPG getting the AMEX Black Card has been fantastic

Post 1: I agree AMEX Black is garbage and I had to write a post evaluating it even though I don't have one because TPG got one so everyone must know my thoughts

Post 2 (today): Well maybe there is value for a few people but I still conclude it's a terrible card (translation: I don't have an affiliate link for it so not going to push it)

I'm not sure why VFTW felt the need to provide his own commentary on TPG getting the AMEX Black Card though...
He feels the need to comment on literally everything in this space. Have you ever seen any topic go by without his commentary? He's got the Trump-plane thing, the guy who gave up his seat, Hillary's boba - minutia.

It's tough being a thought leader.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

He wrote the entire blog post "This Hyatt Wants to Help You Have Sex" basically just because this Hyatt used the word "trysts" in their promo.

If that isn't just garbage content just for the sake of content, I don't know what is. It's one level above the bots that add spam comments.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by josephstern
He wrote the entire blog post "This Hyatt Wants to Help You Have Sex" basically just because this Hyatt used the word "trysts" in their promo.

If that isn't just garbage content just for the sake of content, I don't know what is. It's one level above the bots that add spam comments.
He still has occasional gems and scoops but more and more it's click bait like the above. He doesn't seem to be minding the (blog) store much anymore. I guess his other enterprises are taking most of his time now.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by josephstern

Wow, +1.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Let's examine this latest "completely random and throwaway article that probably doesn't even belong in one of those clickbait spam lists"

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....omment-page-1/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.