Community
Wiki Posts
Search

View from the Wing [VFTW] discussions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2015, 12:16 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by gpapadop
I doubt it. I hate the ........ banks and their moronic "audit" departments. Being my own best customer in the crappy creditcardsdotbomb with a few additional apps here and there (before they take it away for compliance violations......!!!!) while shilling my Amazon link (lol) is enough. To me, this is still a hobby being ruined by bloggers who have become bank whores selling a lifestyle in the most egregious ways! Would I love to have what you think I want? Sure, but only on MY terms which is not going to happen. And that is perfectly okay. I like entertaining, educating and sometimes even inspiring my readers. It makes me feel GOOD. Thank God day job pays well. I just like creating something from scratch and helping people along the way. Or maybe I just like to justify it a bit to wife to let me keep TBBing

To get back on topic, what has TSA done to Gary? The anti TSA rants are reaching preposterous levels now, WOW!
I'm not a fan of TSA and their largely ridiculous and useless policies, so on the one hand I appreciate VFTW speaking out about them. But some of his posts are really spot-on and insightful, while some are more of a rant. Though in his defense I guess TSA is one of those government agencies it's easy to get aggravated with - kind of like the BMV only worse

Actually though my wife's recent visit to the BMV (Ohio) was surprisingly pleasant and efficient, especially as she was there to renew an expired license (oops!).
Old Dec 31, 2015, 2:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: vx diamond
Moderators have zero legs to stand on regarding ethics .
Old Jan 1, 2016, 2:16 am

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Originally Posted by 84fiero
I'm not a fan of TSA and their largely ridiculous and useless policies, so on the one hand I appreciate VFTW speaking out about them. But some of his posts are really spot-on and insightful, while some are more of a rant. Though in his defense I guess TSA is one of those government agencies it's easy to get aggravated with - kind of like the BMV only worse

Actually though my wife's recent visit to the BMV (Ohio) was surprisingly pleasant and efficient, especially as she was there to renew an expired license (oops!).
BMV = DMV in other states?

Just guessing that B is bureau
Old Jan 1, 2016, 4:32 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota
BMV = DMV in other states?

Just guessing that B is bureau
Yes.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
If you care about this sort of thing, Gary essentially retracted the entirety of his most recent post. Writing about M&A if you're not a Wall Street professional, by the way, has its risks.

He was very up-front, however, about the error. No mealy-mouthing here.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 4:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FallenPlat
If you care about this sort of thing, Gary essentially retracted the entirety of his most recent post. Writing about M&A if you're not a Wall Street professional, by the way, has its risks.

He was very up-front, however, about the error. No mealy-mouthing here.
A bad valuation call of sorts? Even the so-called "Wall St. professionals" don't always get it right.

At least VFTW indeed listens to his audience and is open to being corrected.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 7:06 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by GUWonder
A bad valuation call of sorts? Even the so-called "Wall St. professionals" don't always get it right.

At least VFTW indeed listens to his audience and is open to being corrected.
Wasn't a bad valuation. He just didn't know how to read the documents he was reading.

I think rather than going back and adding an "update" line to two different posts, he should actually post a third post, given the reality of how blog feeds are usually read.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 7:02 am

I'm really missing the "old" VFTW-before he changed formats, before he moved to Austin, before he became a "thought leader." The blog seems to have become a clipping service with a few thoughtful pieces when he has the time. Right now he seems to be "phoning in."
Old Jan 7, 2016, 9:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JetAway
I'm really missing the "old" VFTW-before he changed formats, before he moved to Austin, before he became a "thought leader." The blog seems to have become a clipping service with a few thoughtful pieces when he has the time. Right now he seems to be "phoning in."
Yes. But that seems to be a sign of his trying to line up money from other sources beyond just the blog. Something has to take a back seat when the driver's priorities shift. The blog seems to have taken the hit. But then again the miles and points game just isn't what it used to be either.

VFTW lost a bit of my confidence when moving from DC/VA to Austin. Come on, he'll never be a Texan, even in Austin. You can only be a carpetbagger so many times.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
But then again the miles and points game just isn't what it used to be either.
I certainly agree with that. I'm trying to burn through my miles stash before they turn into S&H Greenstamps.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 5:24 pm

On the upside, I'm very glad he has not invited contributors.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 5:23 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
At least view from the wing implies economy travel is permisable: if you sit in first or business class (exceptA380) you never have a view of the wing.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've bashed Gary enough.

I have to commend him today. Mclovin.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 5:15 am

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Originally Posted by josephstern
I've bashed Gary enough.

I have to commend him today. Mclovin.
It gave me a laugh too.

But then I read more of him talking about how he predicted...blah blah blah... Self-proclaimed thought leader blah...

I can safely say I've never quoted myself...
Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond
Now he is just looking for an excuse to post a picture of an Emirates Shower on a 380 and write yet another article about something that is meaningless but that lets him throw 10 affiliate links in each post

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.