Community
Wiki Posts
Search

View from the Wing [VFTW] discussions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2015, 5:33 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by davie355
Simple. Drink water instead of Coke. Eat fruits instead of cookies. Swim in the hotel pool.
Agree that is how it should work. However, the photographs of FC air travel on the blogs do not typically show fruit and water.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Someone's finally put their finger on why I've never bought in to the whole luxury frequent travel thing, in fact the whole credit card blog "aspirational travel" thing: rich food and little to no exercise are a completely corrosive combination.

And finding a pool, by the way, is often no mean feat -- even for me. Lakes and the ocean can work sometimes, too.

Flights are long; time is short.

Last edited by FallenPlat; Feb 21, 2015 at 5:47 pm Reason: Lakes & oceans . . .
Old Feb 22, 2015, 1:56 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by FallenPlat
Flights are long; time is short.
And people are lazy .

The time when I get the most exercise is when I'm traveling. Nearly all the hotels have a gym or other facilities and while it's easy to stuff yourself on that big breakfast everyday, it's just as easy to enjoy the healthy things they also offer.
When I know I have a big dinner, I take it easy at breakfast time... and when I know I don't I enjoy breakfast, have a few bites in the lounge and visit the gym or pool in the evening. Not that hard.

Reality is that you have to make the effort, no different than when you are at home. Probably even easier since it takes less time when on the road because everything is close and you don't have to do any shopping :-).
Old Feb 22, 2015, 10:12 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
I admit that I cringe a bit at the gluttony sometimes displayed.

Getting all worked up over an AA cookie, for example. Or obsessing over included hotel buffet breakfasts.

And it's not just a VFTW thing, although he does seem to be the foodiest of the P&M bloggers.

Lol, have a fruit Sah-Laad every once in a while! (Omaat reference there)
Old Feb 22, 2015, 12:56 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by kokonutz
I admit that I cringe a bit at the gluttony sometimes displayed.

Getting all worked up over an AA cookie, for example. Or obsessing over included hotel buffet breakfasts.

And it's not just a VFTW thing, although he does seem to be the foodiest of the P&M bloggers.

Lol, have a fruit Sah-Laad every once in a while! (Omaat reference there)
But how do we know " they" eat all the food in the photos ? Don't they put it there to entice others ?
Do you think all the cooks on TV shows eat the whole portions they prepare ?
Old Feb 22, 2015, 2:15 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by HMPS
But how do we know " they" eat all the food in the photos ? Don't they put it there to entice others ?
Do you think all the cooks on TV shows eat the whole portions they prepare ?
I have to include reviews of food in hotel reviews, flight reviews, and of course restaurant reviews. I've learnt to taste things judiciously and I probably end up eating less overall when traveling than when I am at home. I can't say if bloggers do the same thing but for their sake, I hope so.

There are limits, however, in terms of what I include. If I'm going to sleep on a JFK-LHR flight, I'll dine in the lounge (Flagship or Clubhouse, or equivalent) prior to departure and skip the meal. (I will mention the dining experience in the review, I should add.) If I'm awake at breakfast, I'll have it and I usually end up eating at least a small bite before landing. But my view of a review is that I stick to (my own) real-life routine, not become a glutton just because there is so much food available. I typically don't photograph food I don't eat except occasionally as a point of reference to say ("and x and y were also available on the menu) but that is the exception, not the rule.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by HMPS
Gary please chime in.....people here are worried about your health.
Fyi, while he reads this forum regularly he has not posted and I don't expect him to.

Instead I suspect we'll see a blog post at some point soon talk about his eating/health habits.

After all, if you looked at my Facebook wall you would think that all I do is go on dates with my wife and drink in Irish pubs. I rarely post about getting in 5 miles of exercise a day wile keeping my caloric intake under 2000. Cause that's kinda boring. But then my mother frets on my wall that all I seem to do is drink booze and eat at five star restaurants. Otoh, I DO have a 33 inch waistline.

In any case I too hope he's in nothing but the best of health.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 10:56 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Lets not get too personal and move on. 3 posts deleted.

Regards Oliver2002
Mod EM&PR
Old Feb 23, 2015, 10:58 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Today's article on regulation of FF programs is outstanding. My favorite comment:

Stannis said,
Who are you and what have you done with Gary? :-)
Seriously, take the time to read the article.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 12:16 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by nsx
Today's article on regulation of FF programs is outstanding. My favorite comment:

That is interesting. I assume Gary's post was in response to or inspired by this one by Chris Elliott:

http://elliott.org/the-navigator/sho...-re-regulated/

The FFPs are operating with a heavier hand nowadays thanks to better performance and decreased competition. Is regulation of the programs the answer? I don't know. I'm hesitant to push for new or expanded government regulation, generally. I'm willing to listen to the argument in favor of it in this area (not as though my opinion matters to anyone who with the power to do anything!).

One major potential downside to any extensive regulation could be that one or more airlines would simply cease having a frequent flyer program altogether in response. I suppose it depends on the extent of the regs.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by nsx

Gary is fine with letting airlines merge into an oligopoly because free market, but is also fine with government regulating FFPs?!

Gary has strongly defended the mega mergers. Now we are reaping the inevitable result of that dramatic reduction in competition.

No government regulation is going to put that toothpaste back in the tube.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 8:14 am

I'm usually one of Gary's fans, as some of you may remember, and I frankly think much of what's posted here often, at least for me, adds little if any value.

This morning's post about the DOT decision on the United mistake fares, however, is absurd on several levels and cries out for correction, or a least a respectfully dissenting view.

Several points.

First, Gary seems not to understand his own limitations when it comes to legal issues generally or a complex regulatory interpretative issue such as this specifically. I can't write knowledgably about particle physics; some folks can't write knowledgeably about regulated industry law. Figuring out what you're good at and can write about without making a fool of yourself should be Point A on anyone's personal or professional itinerary.

Second, a regulatory "no action" letter such as this always has to be taken with more than just a grain of salt. They don't have any precedential value at all, or at least not formally. They're really more of a practical statement of an agency's enforcement priorities in a given instance.

Third, any administrative lawyer can expatiate essentially endlessly on where the dividing line lies between actual regulation and mere interpretation. This little tempest doesn't even approach the neighborhood of where that line might be.

Fourth, the DOT's reasoning is very narrowly cast. It's hard to see how much precedential value might be buried here, really. See point two above.

Fifth, misrepresentation, or "unclean hands" if you will, matters. Harumphing and simply stating that it doesn't, or shouldn't, matter is simply laughable from a legal point of view. And that's what this is, the law.

Sixth, the equities also matter. Administrative law, despite what some non-lawyer might think, is not a mere empty exercise in "Gotcha!" I've never had even one professional conversation with anyone who thinks it should be, and I wasn't exactly born yesterday.

And finally, lawyers who do this stuff full time for a living were quoted publicly in press reports to the effect that the DOT was going to go this way. Why would anyone with a grain of common sense think that their opinions are just as prone to being wrong in this particular chosen area of specialization as, say, yours or mine or Gary's own? When a real pro speaks, I always listen carefully. Always.

Maybe, in the end, it's all just hubris.

Last edited by FallenPlat; Feb 24, 2015 at 9:06 am Reason: Small fix.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 9:43 am

A story about regulatory enforcement discretion is far less click-worthy than a story about 'gutting' regs and implying collusion between regulators and industry. @:-)
Old Feb 24, 2015, 10:11 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I don't agree with Gary's perspective on this one, but I love that he wrote something substantive and worth reading about it. I give it a thumbs up.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 10:40 am

Sure, and if I write about particle physics -- a subject about which I know nothing -- maybe that could be "substantive" and "worth reading" to boot?

How could an analysis of a technical area by someone who knows nothing about it possibly be "worth reading" -- ever? Or in blog terms, worth clicking on? What am I missing here?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.