Wiki Posts
Search

View from the Wing [VFTW] discussions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2015, 2:42 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by nsx
Delta can't add more seats within minutes by increasing prices. Uber can. Drivers can and do decide to put in an extra shift very late at night New Year's Eve because of the rate premium. That's where the extra supply comes from. It's real. If not for this large effect I would agree with your analogy.
True, but there are very few last-minute airline award tickets sought (or paid tickets for that matter).

So the flexibility of the market for air travel may not be as instantaneous as it is for uber, but neither does it need to be. It's certainly flexible enough to respond to the market in order to offer 'market based' prices within the time-frame of a typical purchase rather than flat rates. Just like Uber.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

airlines do not have uber's flexibility. (nor do they have hotels' flexibility.)
Old Feb 12, 2015, 2:35 pm

Old Feb 16, 2015, 6:52 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Gary spent some time today again making his ridiculous arguments that ANYTHING is to blame for higher fares, fuller planes and fewer award tickets, ANYTHING is to blame...except airline mergers.

I was googling some of his older comments misdirecting blame for these phenomenon away from the mergers but stumbled on this instead: http://mercatus.org/publication/tran...tection-issues

Comments Gary co-authored in response to proposed DOT consumer protection/transparency in fares rules that would apply to non-airline travel sellers.

I was a little shocked to see that the comments oppose these proposals. The key point being that allowing websites to post airfares in whatever manner they want is critical to 'innovation.'

They certainly put his airline merger apologistism into perspective.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 7:12 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Hi, I'm GLeff and despite my only claim to fame being the owner of a frequent flyer blog, I get to pound on somebody who has actually made a difference in the real world sometime during his life.

Yeah, Ralph's probably not as important as Ralph thinks he is. But vastly more important than you.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 9:53 am

Not a Hyatt Visa Cardmember? You Can Still Get 20% Back on All Your Awards

There is click bait... and then there is straight up lying to get you to read a story.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by Astrophsx

There is click bait... and then there is straight up lying to get you to read a story.
This is up there with "it depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is."

If "not a Hyatt Visa Cardmember" means "not now and never will be," well that's one thing.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Astrophsx

As I've said before about pushing credit cards, it's capitalism, and I can live with that--although this was certainly stretching the point. Gary's either satisfying and enlarging his audience with posts like these--or the opposite. That's the marketplace.

But, when I encounter a different approach, it's refreshing. Doing some research for a trip to Ireland in April (my sixth and my fourth in thirty months, but I figure I can always learn something), I ran across a blog, http://infiniteireland.com, run by a young couple that has a passion for trips to Ireland. In one of the comments for one of the posts, about a suggested packing list for Irish travels, a reader asked about the host's preferred credit card for Irish travel. She responded with the Chase Sapphire Preferred, mentioning the no forex fees and the 40K Ultimate Rewards points.

And then stopped. No referral link, no plea even to let her refer the reader so she could pick up 5K UR points herself. Just the host's honest opinion in response to an honest question.

I had almost forgotten that could even happen on a travel blog.

I realize it's a niche blog, probably fortunate to have 1% of Gary's numbers. Maybe not everybody would even agree with some or all of their advice. But they've got one more reader today because for the first time, I actually subscribed to a blog. And I'll certainly recommend the blog to others who are researching trips to Ireland.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 1:15 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Today's post: Shut Up, He Explained

Old Feb 19, 2015, 1:29 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by nsx
Today's post: Shut Up, He Explained

Really, looked up the post you quoted. Find nothing wrong with it.

As to what he says ( don't know him, don't read him)....each one of us has the remote to swithch the cahnnel. But this bashing will not change what he likes to do or where he makes some $.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 1:36 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by HMPS
Really, looked up the post you quoted. Find nothing wrong with it.
Correct. It's just that Gary's title so closely fits that memorable quote.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by davie355
This is up there with "it depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is."

If "not a Hyatt Visa Cardmember" means "not now and never will be," well that's one thing.
I interpret the title to mean you can still get the 20% bonus without having to be a card member... when you click on the link you find out that if you sign up using his link you can eventually qualify for the offer.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 2:48 am
Suspended

Programs: *A
I haven't been to his site in a few weeks but physically, he looks terrible. I hope he's ok health-wise. Maybe it's just the tv that makes him appear bloated.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 4:57 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

You do raise an interesting point and that is how one stays healthy on a long term diet of first class food and drink
Old Feb 21, 2015, 5:20 pm

Simple. Drink water instead of Coke. Eat fruits instead of cookies. Swim in the hotel pool.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.