Search

View from the Wing [VFTW] discussions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2014, 3:00 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
HHonors Gold was an unpublished benefit late last year. You just had to call in and ask.
Indeed HHonors Gold was a US Amex Plat benefit for at least some months within the past twelve months but that has since ended. And it even worked for those with authorized user Platinum Amex cards.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

how long was it a benefit..? ill take a look in amex forum later i guess.

a temporary special offer / promotion which may (or may not) be targeted is not the same as a benefit.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 1:11 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
HHonors Gold was an unpublished benefit late last year. You just had to call in and ask.
Yup, it briefly appeared in Q4/13 on a trial basis.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Yup, it briefly appeared in Q4/13 on a trial basis.
thats what it was starting to sound like to me, thanks.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 11:02 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Not to forget the milepoint premium membership that amng various goodies gave free HH gold
Old Jul 29, 2014, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Not to forget the milepoint premium membership that amng various goodies gave free HH gold
That too.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri

a temporary special offer / promotion which may (or may not) be targeted is not the same as a benefit.
A benefit's a benefit if you use it when it's available. It wasn't targeted - it just wasn't announced and it quietly expired.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A benefit's a benefit if you use it when it's available. It wasn't targeted - it just wasn't announced and it quietly expired.
i replied to what you wrote originally >

Gary has an Amex Platinum. It's in his "what's in my wallet" post from not long ago. Therefore, he has HHonors Gold as long as he calls in and asks for it. Does a travel blogger really not know that?

Great that he's not taking anything - I don't think he would outright do so. But he's already a phone call away from having HHonors Gold anyway.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 2:03 pm

i replied to what you wrote originally >
And that's still true, he had a Platinum card during that time period. I think Gary even acknowledged it in the comments on his original post, along with the Milepoint perk that he also didn't take advantage of.

This thread is in the context of turning down a comped perk. Within that context, I'm still not sure what you're getting at. That I was wrong, that it wasn't a benefit when I posted that? OK, that's fine, but it doesn't really change anything.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....-walking-talk/

I haven’t gotten around to upping my Hilton HHonors status back to Gold (I need to apply for the Citi Hilton Reserve Card). I’ve only had three stays with them this year.

hilton’s hhonors gold offer was a limited-time deal end of 2013, and is not currently available
Old Jul 29, 2014, 2:36 pm

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
I think many people used the nice little loophole requiring you to have an address in Australia.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 2:59 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

It's wasn't what I consider a targeted promo. Anyone with a US Amex Plat card at the time was eligible for Hilton Gold status; but it required calling up to get Amex to put in for the Gold status.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 3:51 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
VFTW's trust in AA notwithstanding, he definitely doesn't trust United:

I wouldn’t be buying United miles at a 100% bonus speculatively of course, certainly not since they devalued.

Nice try, United. But this is why people don’t trust you. You take their money and say that you might give actual reasonable value, you’ll let everyone know later. Meh.
(emphasis in original)

He links to his post about UA's award chart changes in pointing to the devaluation. I'm curious why that devaluation, announced with 3 months' lead time, barely impacting Y redemptions, and not gutting routing and award construction rules, causes mistrust while the AA no-notice "enhancements" did not cause mistrust.

(Mind you, I don't disagree that it's not wise to speculatively buy UA miles under this promo - planned top-offs you were already considering making are another story. And I kinda think the UA promo is lame in general. But I found the above interesting...)
Old Sep 2, 2014, 4:46 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by 84fiero
VFTW's trust in AA notwithstanding, he definitely doesn't trust United:

(emphasis in original)

He links to his post about UA's award chart changes in pointing to the devaluation. I'm curious why that devaluation, announced with 3 months' lead time, barely impacting Y redemptions, and not gutting routing and award construction rules, causes mistrust while the AA no-notice "enhancements" did not cause mistrust.

(Mind you, I don't disagree that it's not wise to speculatively buy UA miles under this promo - planned top-offs you were already considering making are another story. And I kinda think the UA promo is lame in general. But I found the above interesting...)
Lucky has Lufty.

GAAry hAAs AA.

Love is irrational.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For me they get one screw-up
I’m wary
They’re at a turning point
I still trust them, and whether I continue to do so will be dependent upon the next data point
seems to have been missed in most of the discussion

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.