Community
Wiki Posts
Search

View from the Wing [VFTW] discussions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2014, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz
I dunno. He TOOK the gold.

But then I suppose he DID feel guilty about it and confessed, taking his penance in his comments section.

The catholic in me wants to absolve him.
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Hilton imposed the gold on him. He had no part in that action. Today, he asked Hilton to return him to silver. They have done so.
Gary has an Amex Platinum. It's in his "what's in my wallet" post from not long ago. Therefore, he has HHonors Gold as long as he calls in and asks for it. Does a travel blogger really not know that?

Great that he's not taking anything - I don't think he would outright do so. But he's already a phone call away from having HHonors Gold anyway.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 9:11 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Hilton imposed the gold on him. He had no part in that action. Today, he asked Hilton to return him to silver. They have done so.
Sorry. I had a hot date and stopped following the story. ^

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
Gary has an Amex Platinum. It's in his "what's in my wallet" post from not long ago. Therefore, he has HHonors Gold as long as he calls in and asks for it. Does a travel blogger really not know that?

Great that he's not taking anything - I don't think he would outright do so. But he's already a phone call away from having HHonors Gold anyway.
Even *I* have Hilton Gold. And I haven't stayed at a Hilton in like 3 years. And I don't feel guilty at ALL.

<shrug>
Old Apr 25, 2014, 9:45 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Sorry. I had a hot date
Your wife had a hot date too!
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:36 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by 84fiero
I don't know how anyone can conclude that the AAdvantage folks are "still improving" when AAdvantage hasn't produced any concrete public evidence of either actual improvements or at the least, better management and rollout of devaluations. In fact "still" improving seems to imply some improvement has been happening in the past, and that's a joke.
indeed, the notion of AA improvements in recent months or last year for AAdvantage customers is a joke. Bloggers risk undermining their own credibility with comments like that.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by nsx
Your wife had a hot date too!
I was telling my wife about this thread this morning.

She said 'how is taking gold from hilton any different than taking cash from chase? Hotels and credit cards are both products he reviews and recommends. He should either take both or neither.'

I didn't have a good answer.

I guess you either trust bloggers or you don't.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 10:51 am

Gary addressed my wife's question directly:

I’m far from pure. There are comps that I would take. If Aman Resorts wanted to give me a suite at one of their better properties, I would take it. I think the old apocryphal Winston Churchill story makes sense here (“now we’re just haggling over price”). But I’m not going to give anyone the idea that my reviews and opinions are influenced by a mere Gold status.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
I think the old apocryphal Winston Churchill story makes sense here (“now we’re just haggling over price”).
Nice story. It has been attributed to many people. The following makes an interesting read: http://quoteinvestigator.com/2012/03/07/haggling
Old Apr 28, 2014, 2:27 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
VFTW accepting or not accepting comps is a huge issue in the blogosphere... but as Mrs Koko put it, it really doesn't matter. The HH gold for Amex Plat was out there only for a trial period in Q4/2013, it was not there when I called in for it in Feb 2014.

VFTW and OMAAT (plus probably some others, but I don't all) clearly mentioned some weeks ago that achieving elite status (ie forking over a lot of cash... erm loyalty to one airline) doesn't benefit anyone, just sign up for cards, do manufactured spend and live the great life of premium travel.

Taking such positions basically disqualifies you in the eyes of the managers administering the programs. Any points you make are considered, but not really deal breakers for upcoming changes. Instead the collective howl in the blogosphere probably confirmed that they made the right changes
Old Apr 28, 2014, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Frankly if Hilton offered me free Gold (which isn't necessary, since I live in Australia and have a Visa Infinite card :-) ) as a comp, I would be embarrassed. Diamond, yes ....

(Not that the benefits are any better, but you need to have principles!)

The whole thing is bizarre UNLESS you assume Gary is, by association, making a point to people who think he has been bought off by AA!
Old Apr 30, 2014, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
It's neat that these guys are rubbing shoulders with the program managers.
Neat? One of the co-owners of MilePoint/Freddies/FTU posted on social media with excitement that he was headed to DFW to see one of his favorite AA execs. On one hand it was transparent, but on the other hand it made me cringe thinking back to this thread.
Old May 5, 2014, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Neat? One of the co-owners of MilePoint/Freddies/FTU posted on social media with excitement that he was headed to DFW to see one of his favorite AA execs. On one hand it was transparent, but on the other hand it made me cringe thinking back to this thread.
The notion of having a favorite AA exec is pretty cringe-worthy, IMHO.

Remember when points and miles folks used to have favorite lounge attendants or flight attendants?

This game has changed...into a business.
Originally Posted by oliver2002
VFTW accepting or not accepting comps is a huge issue in the blogosphere... but as Mrs Koko put it, it really doesn't matter. The HH gold for Amex Plat was out there only for a trial period in Q4/2013, it was not there when I called in for it in Feb 2014.

VFTW and OMAAT (plus probably some others, but I don't all) clearly mentioned some weeks ago that achieving elite status (ie forking over a lot of cash... erm loyalty to one airline) doesn't benefit anyone, just sign up for cards, do manufactured spend and live the great life of premium travel.

Taking such positions basically disqualifies you in the eyes of the managers administering the programs. Any points you make are considered, but not really deal breakers for upcoming changes. Instead the collective howl in the blogosphere probably confirmed that they made the right changes
i read Gary's recent column warning people not to play the credit card game if they are going to revolve balances.

Where does he suppose the credit card issuers get the cash to pay him his hundreds dollar commissions per sign up!? From annual fees!?

The whole business model, including affiliate payments, is BUiLT on people making irrational financial decisions. If everyone took his advice he would be out of the advice business and back to the advice hobby.

Last edited by kokonutz; May 5, 2014 at 10:09 pm
Old May 6, 2014, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Where does he suppose the credit card issuers get the cash to pay him his hundreds dollar commissions per sign up!? From annual fees!?
For Amex charge cards, the answer is clearly yes, since you can't roll over a balance!
Old May 6, 2014, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by Raffles
For Amex charge cards, the answer is clearly yes, since you can't roll over a balance!
Perhaps the older and corporate AMEX CHARGE cards are monthly pay-offs, but I know my SPG and Delta AMEX let you carry a decent size balance... with the "convenience" of a little interest rate too
Old May 23, 2014, 12:06 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
View from the Wing calls out the AAdvantage police via non-censored comments

Read his post. Here's what I wrote there:

What a clever tactic: Post the general outline and rely on readers to name names. Nobody can blame Gary for that because this blog has an established policy against censoring comments. Well played!

If other bloggers need a reason to stop censoring comments, this example should suffice.
Also see this presumably related discussion in the AA forum.
Old May 23, 2014, 2:18 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Strange blog post. If that individual at AA was so vile, why not email some of his contacts high up in AA and ask them why such a person was going after the innocent?

When I was audited by US in 2011 I just emailed Fern and asked why. Soon after the audit block was lifted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.