Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OMAT holding a kickstarter to fund his travel

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2014, 10:41 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Ex Plat, DL Dropout from Skymiles 2015
Originally Posted by kokonutz
VFTW blogs about blogs and blasts (passive aggressively) Leslie Scott for saying what many of us were thinking:

http://boardingarea.com/viewfromthew...r-airline-bus/
Exactly! Leslie made the most sense between Ben, Gary and Her.
Old May 8, 2014, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by FLLDL
Seems tacky but dont really have a problem with it. People can spend their money however they choose. Seems like it would have been easy for him to announce that he was throwing in some specific amount as well (ie trip will cost $25k with blogger throwing in the first $5k or whatever) as this would defray at least some of the whining. No doubt the blog is very lucrative.

OMAT is one of the better blogs at there and has provided tons of information and content to the readers at zero cost for years, so not surprising that some of those readers see no issue in throwing some cash into the project.

As far as the "how dare he spend money like this when there are starving children" crowd, please spare the outrage and leave your false dichotomies at home. I doubt that the folks who donated were about to write a big check to the Red Cross but then scratched it out and sent it over to the blog...
Of course he provides the content at zero cost. If there was a subscription fee, no one would read his blog. No readers = no traffic or affiliate income. You make it sound like he was doing everyone a favor by making his blog free.

Also, looks like boardingarea trying to fan the flames by making a $500 donation to charity. While great, still doesn't change the fact that Ben is asking his readers to fund his ultra luxury trip.

Last edited by lazard; May 8, 2014 at 11:17 am
Old May 8, 2014, 11:30 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
I don't know much about kickstarter. Is there a way to see who has proposed pledging what?

I'd be very curious to see that list!
Old May 8, 2014, 12:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by davie355
I'm a huge fan of Ben's blog but I see no incentive here for Etihad's PR.
Originally Posted by jpetekYXMD80
You think Etihad is not pleased with and partly facilitated the massive publicity this new product has generated lately for their overall image?
They're ecstatic about it: http://twitter.com/EtihadAirways/sta...52106200432640

Originally Posted by kokonutz
I don't know much about kickstarter. Is there a way to see who has proposed pledging what?

I'd be very curious to see that list!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...dences/backers

It doesn't include the dollar amounts but it does include the name.
Old May 8, 2014, 12:57 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by sbm12

Fascinating. Thanks!
Old May 8, 2014, 1:07 pm

And there is an option on the Kickstarter site to report the effort if you feel that way. It is at the bottom of the page. :-:
Noted, and I did. I just didn't think it was apropos to air that information here.

I doubt anything happens of it, Kickstarter is too big and their policy on review is a bit strange. There have also been many other projects blatantly in violation of ToS that have made it through funding, and I can't believe that none of them were reported in time. It seems more common that they don't take the issue that seriously unless it becomes a huge deal.

For what it's worth I think this sets up a potential quagmire for Kickstarter, if this idea is successful and is replicated often they will be known as a new Honeyfund or whatever other random site people use to get others to fund their lives (nothing against Honeyfund, it's a great idea for newlyweds). The point of Kickstarter is to help fund new ventures, projects, and startups. If Kickstarter is fine with this and welcomes the new reputation then that's great, but I think the community they have built up wouldn't follow such a transition.

All ethics aside, that is a huge reason for my distaste in his idea.
Old May 8, 2014, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.

I scanned the list and only saw one person with a recognizable name that's a Flyertalker. Hmmm. I didn't see any other bloggers coughing up some dough.
Old May 8, 2014, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

are some using kickstarter in lieu of paypal/etc donations ?

Old May 8, 2014, 2:16 pm

If his kickstarter campaign is successful, look for Ben to forgo using his miles and just collect funds for all his future trips. Let's him pocket to CC and FF miles, all at no cost to him.

Looks like one of his $500+ backers came to his/her senses and backed out.
Old May 8, 2014, 2:24 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K
Lucky is a rockstar! This is the best crowdsourcing idea I have ever seen and hands down I will be donating a small amount.

To the haters - get a grip. This isn't a charity - if you need to choose between donating $5 or $10 to Ben or donating to the homeless charity or the breast cancer walk - then by all means, do what feels right to you; nobody will fault you for whatever choice YOU make that is right for you.

I am a professional travel reviewer employed by many of the luxury service providers out there. I have figured out a way to have luxury experiences that are unattainable on my very modest income (i.e. I just got back from a $25K stay at the Maldives at a resort that is not attainable by miles or points). I write reviews for the providers, but I am prohibited from sharing them with the blogosphere or Internet or here on FlyerTalk. Does taking the free trip from them in return for an 80 page "trip report" of content for their C-suite mean I am some sort of sell out or low-life? Because I am basically doing the same thing Lucky is doing - getting other people to fund that which I cannot afford myself in return for doing some writing about it. And I bet Lucky works a lot harder than I do running the blog and his business.

Should I be dedicating my life to building homes and schools in Guatemala? How is what Lucky doing ANY different than those of us who provide professional services to a group of people that see value in paying for those services.

Lucky - brilliant! Looking forward to reading the report. Hopefully Eithad will some day employ my services, but if not - then at least I can live it virtually through you.
Old May 8, 2014, 2:38 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Interesting the amount raised at this moment is almost half the airfare.

I wont judge if it's right or wrong but if he's flying EY Superfirst via kickstarter funding who says that maybe other bloggers wont start kickstarter funding requests for future superFirst (EK or SQ or others) flights......
Referrals are out and crowdfunding is in

(For the record i didn't make a pledge, EY's new super F product doesn't do it for me, prefer the classic F ones on *alliance: LX/LH)
Old May 8, 2014, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by MickeyB
Lucky is a rockstar! This is the best crowdsourcing idea I have ever seen and hands down I will be donating a small amount.

To the haters - get a grip. This isn't a charity - if you need to choose between donating $5 or $10 to Ben or donating to the homeless charity or the breast cancer walk - then by all means, do what feels right to you; nobody will fault you for whatever choice YOU make that is right for you.

I am a professional travel reviewer employed by many of the luxury service providers out there. I have figured out a way to have luxury experiences that are unattainable on my very modest income (i.e. I just got back from a $25K stay at the Maldives at a resort that is not attainable by miles or points). I write reviews for the providers, but I am prohibited from sharing them with the blogosphere or Internet or here on FlyerTalk. Does taking the free trip from them in return for an 80 page "trip report" of content for their C-suite mean I am some sort of sell out or low-life? Because I am basically doing the same thing Lucky is doing - getting other people to fund that which I cannot afford myself in return for doing some writing about it. And I bet Lucky works a lot harder than I do running the blog and his business.

Should I be dedicating my life to building homes and schools in Guatemala? How is what Lucky doing ANY different than those of us who provide professional services to a group of people that see value in paying for those services.

Lucky - brilliant! Looking forward to reading the report. Hopefully Eithad will some day employ my services, but if not - then at least I can live it virtually through you.
There's a difference between someone hiring you to write a review of a product and you asking people to pay the cost for you to review a product.
Old May 8, 2014, 2:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: *A
More drama here than the Monster High Forums for pre-teens.

I don't read Lucky's blog, gave up on milevalue once Scott inundated the site with credit card apps and showed up in First Class wearing sandals and green shorts or whatnot, resulting in VFTW being the only one I follow due to Gary's gravitas and King of the Hill status among all FF bloggers.
Old May 8, 2014, 3:06 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K
@lazard - I disagree. In my case, a company is hiring me to produce a product that they find of value. In Ben's case, we are "hiring" him through our contribution to produce a product that we (who fund him) find of value.

Now - IF he gets funded, and then he takes a comp from Eithad or never writes the review - then obviously that is a problem. However, my guess is that the negative press something like that would generate would ensure it won't happen. I could be wrong, but its the same leap of faith that my clients take when they put me on a plane until I deliver my report.

For those who say this is not relevant to them because the product is totally unattainable - I get that. But that is a personal opinion - and this is relevant to some - rather it is the armchair traveler or the person who actually may be lucky enough to find themselves in that product or a similar product some day. I find the reviews of the ultra-luxury products to offer hours of entertainment but also a different perspective on luxe travel that provides a balance and counterpoint for my own writing. For some time, I have been benefiting from the trip reports and blogs here on FT for FREE - and I have given nothing back. I have no problem ponying up a small amount for this specific project because it is salient to me.
Old May 8, 2014, 3:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by MickeyB
I write reviews for the providers, but I am prohibited from sharing them with the blogosphere or Internet or here on FlyerTalk. Does taking the free trip from them in return for an 80 page "trip report" of content for their C-suite mean I am some sort of sell out or low-life?
Sell out, yes. Low-life, no.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.