OMAT holding a kickstarter to fund his travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2014, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
And there is an option on the Kickstarter site to report the effort if you feel that way. It is at the bottom of the page. :-:
Which I have done. I've enjoyed his writing but this is taking things way too far.
Old May 10, 2014, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Delta Points
So if those who track are right, he may end up with $100,000!

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/148...ad-residences/

Then he can give 75k to charity and still fly! Everyone is happy!
I'm not sure how you're helping your own blog with this cheerleading as you are annoying as many people as you are pleasing. In any event, I imagine this has to be a one-shot deal as I don't see how Lucky or other bloggers (including Delta Points) can expect to go to the well again with a similar idea. The "crowd" for this sort of activity is rather limited in scope.
Old May 10, 2014, 2:19 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by JetAway
I'm not sure how you're helping your own blog with this cheerleading as you are annoying as many people as you are pleasing. In any event, I imagine this has to be a one-shot deal as I don't see how Lucky or other bloggers (including Delta Points) can expect to go to the well again with a similar idea. The "crowd" for this sort of activity is rather limited in scope.

^ (I guess there aren't any new delta.com fonts to talk about?)

Indeed, the list of backers for today is a grand total of 6 so far, at about $260. Yesterday it was 43 and ~$600. It seems unlikely the momentum of the first couple of days will keep up, whether in the number of backers or dollar amounts.

You must not have bothered to read previously on the meaning (or lack thereof) of the tracker:

Why you should take kicktraq tends with a grain of salt

As of now there is insufficient data for their "projections" tab
Old May 10, 2014, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
Travel blogging is a joke. Any yahoo can read Flyertalk, Fat Wallet, and every other related website and vomit it back out in the form of a blog. There is zero creativity or talent required. It's all completely self serving and self aggrandizing. (This isn't directed at anyone in particular, moreso the "industry" in general....)

On topic, the problem I have with donating to this cause, is that his blog presumably generates revenue for him, correct? Why am I donating capital for him to run his business(and indulge his hobby) when I'm not going to see any returns from it?
Yes. Those travel and FF blogs like OMAT and VFTW just regurgitate info they find on forums, other blogs, and whatever other headlines they get from their RSS feed.
Old May 10, 2014, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!

As noted, most people who would have donated likely did so already. This seems to be something you either instantly think "that sounds really cool, I'll throw him a few $$$" or "what an idiot, I'm not giving him a dime." If you have to think about it, few people are going to decide to give after thinking about it, due to either the relative frivolity, or supporting someone's business model who is not going to (and probably can't really, as this isn't seed money for a manufacturing operation or creating an app or something like that) give a significant giveback for the donation. Even with through the end of the month, I can't quite see him making the full amount with how the initial push has gone. I could be wrong, but I'll be a bit out of it on caviar and Krug on my 3 CX F flights later this month so I won't be making any last minute donations .
Old May 10, 2014, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by lazard
Yes. Those travel and FF blogs like OMAT and VFTW just regurgitate info they find on forums, other blogs, and whatever other headlines they get from their RSS feed.
I forgot about all the paid advertisements for the credit card companies too. Top quality content, for sure.
Old May 10, 2014, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by lazard
Some of these blogs are fun to read and often have useful information. But there are now too many fish in the blog sea and the limited sources of income, such as credit card affiliate links, are spread too thin. Add to that repetitive content, both among the bloggers as within a blog itself (as others have noted, how many of Lucky's seemingly endless LH F trips do you want to read about) and it seems to me that the blogging meter is about to run out. Lucky's audacious panhandling strikes me as the blogging fin de siecle.
Old May 10, 2014, 3:36 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Some of these blogs are fun to read and often have useful information. But there are now too many fish in the blog sea and the limited sources of income, such as credit card affiliate links, are spread too thin. Add to that repetitive content, both among the bloggers as within a blog itself (as others have noted, how many of Lucky's seemingly endless LH F trips do you want to read about) and it seems to me that the blogging meter is about to run out. Lucky's audacious panhandling strikes me as the blogging fin de siecle.
I’m often accused of being a Lufthansa cheerleader, and, well, it’s true. You know those 18 year olds that decide to get a tattoo with their boyfriend or girlfriend’s name on it because they were “meant to be together forever and nothing can ever tear them apart?” Yeah, well I’d totally be the guy with an “I Love Lufthansa” tramp stamp. I admit it.
http://boardingarea.com/onemileatati...tle-frankfurt/
Old May 10, 2014, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kokonutz
They seem to treat kickstarter the way I treat Kiva: toss a few bucks when I think about it. But supposedly I get that money BACK.

I wonder how many of them are carrying revolving credit card debt as they burn Hamiltons that way. I wonder how many are maxing out their 401ks before tossing Hamiltons at 'sticking it to the man.'
I wonder all of those things. Scary.
Old May 10, 2014, 9:39 pm

Modhop, a more recent entrant to the BoardingArea network, is purely original content with high production value and no credit card plugging. I like that his coverage includes budget airlines and economy seats.
Old May 11, 2014, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://boardingarea.com/onemileatati...ticket-really/

within a day of posting about the new product, I received over a dozen messages/comments/emails from readers suggesting I start a Kickstarter campaign to fund a review of the Etihad A380 Residences

This is totally f*cking ridiculous...even suggesting this as a possibility is the most ridiculous thing yet.

That being said, I do what I can to listen to my readers...It’s totally ridiculous and there are so many better ways you can spend your money…you shouldn’t contribute based on that, or on doing something for me, or for any legitimatish reason. Seriously.And my feelings won’t be hurt if you don’t. This is quite possibly the most ridiculous Kickstarter campaign ever

Kickstarter has specific rules about not having entries associated with any sort of contests. But stay tuned, if this works out I’ll have something really fun regarding the second seat.
based on some of his other comments i wonder if he was actually thinking about social media aspect more than this actually getting funded.

http://boardingarea.com/onemileatati...arter-project/

My intent with that seat...to bring along a blog reader and cover all their travel expenses.

We’ll hold some sort of a contest on the blog for the second seat
We’ll do something involving charity
could do a charity auction
Old May 11, 2014, 1:11 am

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/148...ad-residences/

$58,155
TRENDING TOWARD...
even lower values.
Old May 11, 2014, 1:26 am

will be trending toward $12,000 after a week
Old May 11, 2014, 12:28 pm

All the free publicity and increased traffic to his blog it's a win - win situation for him even if the kickstarter is not funded.
Old May 11, 2014, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
All the free publicity and increased traffic to his blog it's a win - win situation for him even if the kickstarter is not funded.
Not if you include all of those (now) former readers who are dismayed, disappointed and disgusted by this stunt. I seriously doubt it'll be a win/win over the long term.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.