Reload this Page >

OMAT holding a kickstarter to fund his travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OMAT holding a kickstarter to fund his travel

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2014, 11:36 pm

Sad and pathetic. Even most people who have nothing are too proud to beg.
Old May 8, 2014, 2:00 am

Programs: Marriott Gold; IHG Platinum; Insomnia Cookies
I'm not going to contribute to this campaign, but I don't consider it shameful. If the review happens, readers will get content, likely an fairly substantial amount of content. It could be entertaining. I suspect it will be.

People contribute money for entertainment content. There's the Veronica Mars movie Kickstarter, Tabletop Season 3 on Indiegogo, PBS, NPR. I've contributed to two of these. Is NPR shameful? Are they too proud to beg?
Old May 8, 2014, 3:20 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
As someone on Facebook put it regarding this effort: since when did kickstarter become make a wish?

But if Ben can find patrons willing to fund his travel then god bless. A fool and his money were Lucky to get together in the first place, as they say.
Old May 8, 2014, 5:38 am
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by hobo13
By the looks of this thread, maybe Ben should have just asked other bloggers (or former bloggers) to buy his ticket! Eh, I wouldn't mind going to dinner and having DP and FTG fight over who is going to pick up the check......
Hobo13, I'd be glad to pick up the dinner tab for a chance to swap stories with you. I've been trying for years to catch up with you
Old May 8, 2014, 5:48 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I like this Bolivia idea better: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...6/live-bolivia

FYI, another FTer raised nearly 19k$ and never delivered... https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...re-documentary

Last edited by oliver2002; May 8, 2014 at 5:55 am
Old May 8, 2014, 6:28 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by ramolnar
I'm not going to contribute to this campaign, but I don't consider it shameful. If the review happens, readers will get content, likely an fairly substantial amount of content. It could be entertaining. I suspect it will be.
Something tells me there will be reviews of this product without Ben's trip, at no cost to any reader.
Old May 8, 2014, 6:30 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by oliver2002
I like this Bolivia idea better: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...6/live-bolivia

FYI, another FTer raised nearly 19k$ and never delivered... https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...re-documentary
Does that mean that the guy kept the money?
Old May 8, 2014, 6:31 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Originally Posted by cruisr
Does that mean that the guy kept the money?
Read the comments... it seems the project will take longer.
Old May 8, 2014, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by ramolnar

People contribute money for entertainment content. There's the Veronica Mars movie Kickstarter, Tabletop Season 3 on Indiegogo, PBS, NPR. I've contributed to two of these. Is NPR shameful? Are they too proud to beg?
There's a big difference between donating to a non profit organization like NPR and donating to a blogger so he doesn't have to fork over his own money to fly first class on Etihad.
Old May 8, 2014, 8:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 1848
Beyond the obvious egotism at play here, I feel this violates the Kickstarter TOS.

He isn't producing anything. Kickstarter projects must produce tangible goods.
Secondly, they explicitly prohibit "fund my life" style projects, which a "buy me an expensive plane ticket" project seems akin to.
Also, it seems to violate copyrights, using Etihad copyrighted material without Kickstarter having prior consent (this is admittedly not that big of an issue).
And there is an option on the Kickstarter site to report the effort if you feel that way. It is at the bottom of the page. :-:
Old May 8, 2014, 8:57 am

Yep, if lucky9876coins would have just added 'all proceeds will go to a 501 3c charity and I will match all your contributions' all would have been OK.
Old May 8, 2014, 9:22 am

Leslie Scott, spokesperson for AA, not too pleased with Ben.

Old May 8, 2014, 9:27 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Ex Plat, DL Dropout from Skymiles 2015
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Yep, if lucky9876coins would have just added 'all proceeds will go to a 501 3c charity and I will match all your contributions' all would have been OK.
Exactly! Or have a kickstarter to have one lucky reader go instead of himself. There are so many better ways this could have gone. I'm getting very tired of bloggers having a 'me, me, me, take, take, take' mentality. How someone can not feel guilty taking 20k from people to waste on a 7 hour flight when that money could help so many people astounds me.

That's why I don't waste miles on first class flights- I'd much rather fly economy and give the miles to someone (friends, family) so they can enjoy the trip and destination with me.
Old May 8, 2014, 10:25 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by lazard
Leslie Scott, spokesperson for AA, not too pleased with Ben.

VFTW blogs about blogs and blasts (passive aggressively) Leslie Scott for saying what many of us were thinking:

http://boardingarea.com/viewfromthew...r-airline-bus/
Old May 8, 2014, 10:26 am

Seems tacky but dont really have a problem with it. People can spend their money however they choose. Seems like it would have been easy for him to announce that he was throwing in some specific amount as well (ie trip will cost $25k with blogger throwing in the first $5k or whatever) as this would defray at least some of the whining. No doubt the blog is very lucrative.

OMAT is one of the better blogs at there and has provided tons of information and content to the readers at zero cost for years, so not surprising that some of those readers see no issue in throwing some cash into the project.

As far as the "how dare he spend money like this when there are starving children" crowd, please spare the outrage and leave your false dichotomies at home. I doubt that the folks who donated were about to write a big check to the Red Cross but then scratched it out and sent it over to the blog...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.