OMAT holding a kickstarter to fund his travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2014, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Jenbel
Lucky is doing this for the sake of travel, but is unashamedly soliciting donations to do so.
The worst part about it is him feigning guilt and embarrassment for starting a kickstarter campaign. Like bolding lines such as "This is totally f*cking ridiculous." and "totally ridiculous and there are so many better ways you can spend your money." are supposed to make up believe that you didn't want to ask your readers to pay for your trip. That he was able to get his get his readers to fork over $25K, kudos to him.
Old May 9, 2014, 2:56 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Whatever the merits or otherwise of the Kickstarter campaign, judging by the attacks on Leslie Scott yesterday, I'd say certain elements of the travel blogging community take themselves way too seriously and ought to take a step back and get themselves some perspective.

In a just world "Lucky" (as he seems to call himself) would be poked in the eye with a sharp stick for the hyperbolic assertion that Leslie Scott's comments equated to AA judging/mocking their entire consumer base. That's quite some logical fallacy there.
Old May 9, 2014, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
Whatever the merits or otherwise of the Kickstarter campaign, judging by the attacks on Leslie Scott yesterday, I'd say certain elements of the travel blogging community take themselves way too seriously and ought to take a step back and get themselves some perspective.

In a just world "Lucky" (as he seems to call himself) would be poked in the eye with a sharp stick for the hyperbolic assertion that Leslie Scott's comments equated to AA judging/mocking their entire consumer base. That's quite some logical fallacy there.
+1

It's really opened my eyes as to what many (not all) of the travel bloggers are all about. Also, what many (not all) of their followers are about.
Old May 9, 2014, 5:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
May end up with $100,000

So if those who track are right, he may end up with $100,000!

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/148...ad-residences/

Then he can give 75k to charity and still fly! Everyone is happy!
Old May 9, 2014, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by Raffles

You should be annoyed by the fact that Ben earns as much in a month as the average American earns in a year yet is still doing this.
Link please.

Originally Posted by ingy

If it works I'll start a kickstarter to buy out Tabloid Blogger Buzz
He could use the handout. I can't imagine him making any money from Amazon links.
Old May 9, 2014, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by Delta Points

The $$$ donated are top heavy. A week from today, the #'s will be proportionately lower. All the folks that would have given would have done so. The trend assumes an upward curve. I'm guessing the curve is about to peak.
Old May 9, 2014, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
I'm pretty interested to see how it is played going forward... If he is going to make the $25k he will need to keep pressing the link, he won't have the momentum otherwise. But by pressing the link, he goes against the whole "aw shucks, I really don't want this, I'm doing it for you" angle that he's expressed.

So it will be an interesting 3 weeks.

And he won't come close to $100k. But dreamers can dream...
Old May 10, 2014, 1:38 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by freeloader
I'm pretty interested to see how it is played going forward... If he is going to make the $25k he will need to keep pressing the link, he won't have the momentum otherwise. But by pressing the link, he goes against the whole "aw shucks, I really don't want this, I'm doing it for you" angle that he's expressed.

So it will be an interesting 3 weeks.

And he won't come close to $100k. But dreamers can dream...
Etihad is pressing the link for him: https://mobile.twitter.com/EtihadAir...52106200432640

Apparently they're not as embarrassed as Lucky is pretending to be.

Other bloggers are also un(pretend)ashamedly promoting the KS link.
Old May 10, 2014, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!

My biggest issue with it is that he will no longer be able to provide an unbiased report. If he had simply dug into his pocket, and bought the trip himself, and THEN posted it, I would have huge respect for him. It would have generated plenty of page views and grabbed a lot of attention.

As is, Etihad is fully aware of who he is, what he does, and knows his name. There won't be that many people who fly the Residence, so it is trivial for the route manager or station managers at LHR or AUH to keep an eye out for his name on a manifest. On the day that they see he is flying, inform all crew of who he is and what a good review from him will mean for the airline. We saw what was rumored to have happened when he gave a (deserved by the airline) less than stellar review of China Southern's A380 F service. It certainly drew a huge discussion on Weibo and other Chinese social media platforms and forums. Because of this, I see no way in wish he can give an unvarnished review of service.

It would be better if two people that the airline did not already know of flew the product and did a review. That would be a more accurate and fairer review of how the Residence actually works out, and not some version played up for when the provider knows a reviewer is trying a product. There is a reason that Michelin reviewers and other reviewers do their absolute best to maintain anonymity. Who wants to pay for MY (and another FTer's) Residence ticket!

Sadly, searching "etihad" "residence" on Google gives his post promoting his KS the fourth spot, and the KS itself the fifth spot.
Old May 10, 2014, 7:12 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by cruisr
+1

It's really opened my eyes as to what many (not all) of the travel bloggers are all about. Also, what many (not all) of their followers are about.
Yeah there are some large egos on the bloggers' side and sort of a weird cult of personality among some (many?) of their faithful readers. It's almost like teenage girls swooning at an Elvis concert or something.
Old May 10, 2014, 11:12 am

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia

Travel blogging is a joke. Any yahoo can read Flyertalk, Fat Wallet, and every other related website and vomit it back out in the form of a blog. There is zero creativity or talent required. It's all completely self serving and self aggrandizing. (This isn't directed at anyone in particular, moreso the "industry" in general....)

On topic, the problem I have with donating to this cause, is that his blog presumably generates revenue for him, correct? Why am I donating capital for him to run his business(and indulge his hobby) when I'm not going to see any returns from it?
Old May 10, 2014, 11:19 am

Couldn't think of a better handle for an OP to start this topic. Thanks freeloader.
Old May 10, 2014, 11:25 am

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by Delta Points

$71,656
TRENDING TOWARD
TOWARD.... lower projections.

Old May 10, 2014, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by freeloader
+1
It looks like he made 10 grand on day 1 and nothing since.

I honestly never trusted him as there is simply something fundamentally
strange about flying Lufthansa first class every week and pretending
he earns 800K miles a year. Math just doesn't make sense. But who cares...

The worst out of this is how Etihad got promoted and it will be now so much
harder to find the award seats.
Old May 10, 2014, 11:58 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
My biggest issue with it is that he will no longer be able to provide an unbiased report. If he had simply dug into his pocket, and bought the trip himself, and THEN posted it, I would have huge respect for him. It would have generated plenty of page views and grabbed a lot of attention.

As is, Etihad is fully aware of who he is, what he does, and knows his name. There won't be that many people who fly the Residence, so it is trivial for the route manager or station managers at LHR or AUH to keep an eye out for his name on a manifest. On the day that they see he is flying, inform all crew of who he is and what a good review from him will mean for the airline. We saw what was rumored to have happened when he gave a (deserved by the airline) less than stellar review of China Southern's A380 F service. It certainly drew a huge discussion on Weibo and other Chinese social media platforms and forums. Because of this, I see no way in wish he can give an unvarnished review of service.

It would be better if two people that the airline did not already know of flew the product and did a review. That would be a more accurate and fairer review of how the Residence actually works out, and not some version played up for when the provider knows a reviewer is trying a product. There is a reason that Michelin reviewers and other reviewers do their absolute best to maintain anonymity. Who wants to pay for MY (and another FTer's) Residence ticket!

Sadly, searching "etihad" "residence" on Google gives his post promoting his KS the fourth spot, and the KS itself the fifth spot.
I'm in for $25 for you and $25 for me...not much farther to go!

Actually what would've been even more interesting and less self-serving for OMAAT, would have been to use the funding to do something like that and fund a reader's travel too.

Or if that were a bridge too far financially, just send a lucky reader. Maybe not just a completely random reader if he's wanting to be sure of a good review. He could've done interviews or something, I don't know....then randomly draw from his top finalists. I'm sure there would be some way to do it.

But then not publicize the person's identity or date of trip ahead of time, so they'd just be a random customer in Eithad's eyes. So it also addresses the issue you addressed above.

Long-term I'd think the huge publicity and goodwill from something like that would have been better than this particular venture.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.