Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OMAT holding a kickstarter to fund his travel

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2014, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by LapLap
Still only half way there.

I figure he's missed a trick. My understanding is that the rate is the same for these rooms whether one person flies or two people travel together. If the option was given to fund his flight and get put in a draw to become a travel companion, my guess is that he might just make his total.
Kickstarter rules ban draws/lotteries from being a prize, so he can't officially tie giving the seat away to people who have donated. OTOH, he could promise to give it away to a random reader who comments on a post.
Old May 13, 2014, 9:27 am

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
From the comments of the Kickstarter site.

Ben Tan
3 days ago

Lucky, when I first saw this I thought it was ridiculous - then I realized I was just jealous! Looking forward to reading your trip report.
So much face palm.
Old May 13, 2014, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by f0xx
From the comments of the Kickstarter site.

So much face palm.
brainwashed
Old May 13, 2014, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by rehoult

Kickstarter rules ban draws/lotteries from being a prize, so he can't officially tie giving the seat away to people who have donated. OTOH, he could promise to give it away to a random reader who comments on a post.
To stay within the rules he's figuring out who to take later on after (if) it's been funded. But he has said he will take a guest reader.
Old May 13, 2014, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Yikes, for a LH F regular that report and the comments contains a few errors... (rwy 18, 744 two class plan, new F to YVR, etc)

I'm sure the F ticket was booked as a LM boomerang Much cheaper than 1000$.
Seriously. I'd bet the caviar on CX F that he used a boomerang . Even when traveling with someone else .

Originally Posted by sbm12
Those rules bend a lot when it comes to "public figures" and bloggers are oft considered such.
In my mind, the rule should be interpreted as it seems to be, where actions undertaken by someone in their capacity as a member of FT (i.e. in a forum post here or as an official representative) should not be discussed. Actions undertaken by someone in another capacity, who simply happens to be a member, should be open for discussion. I mean, imagine what would happen under the first interpretation to the UA forum if $MI/J was found to be a member of FT, it would have to be shut down .
Old May 13, 2014, 4:29 pm

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Just sent $100, good luck to him - the Universe has no concept of numbers, just action...one gives $100 to a guy with a dream and someone gives you $100,000 for yours. It's the way the laws of the Universe work.
Old May 13, 2014, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by UrbaneGent
Just sent $100, good luck to him - the Universe has no concept of numbers, just action...one gives $100 to a guy with a dream and someone gives you $100,000 for yours. It's the way the laws of the Universe work.
There's a big difference between giving $100 to a guy who can't afford to accomplish his dream and giving $100 to a guy who doesn't want to pay for his dream out of his own pocket.
Old May 13, 2014, 5:37 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by lazard
There's a big difference between giving $100 to a guy who can't afford to accomplish his dream and giving $100 to a guy who doesn't want to pay for his dream out of his own pocket.
Agreed ^
Old May 13, 2014, 5:43 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Laws of the universe?

Originally Posted by goalie
Agreed ^
+1 ^
Old May 13, 2014, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by lazard
For a new poster with hardly any posts, you're a smart guy/gal. @:-)
Old May 14, 2014, 8:56 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by 84fiero
A fairly straightforward search on another frequent flyer website will yield the story for anyone who is curious...
I'm super-slammed at work this week. Any chance of posting a link?
Old May 14, 2014, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz
I'm super-slammed at work this week. Any chance of posting a link?
^
Old May 14, 2014, 1:57 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by mr_rogers
^
Hopefully this is allowed. It's just a link, after all...

http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/.../#post-1548220
Old May 14, 2014, 3:21 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
So let's say the whole project is funded.
Doesn't he say he wants to fly the inaugural first week of the new superF.

So the second person in the cabin must be free the same period to travel. (Doable) But what about if the a380 launch is delayed or if the flight is being substituted. I can imagine agenda planning mayhem if the second person has to change 1)repositioning flight 2)factor hotel stay 3)work /family commitments 4)visa (if non voa/visaexempt) 5)return flight as I guess the ticket will be booked under 1. PNR in his name. Hope he has a contingency plan ready.
Old May 14, 2014, 3:51 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
kickstarter would allow him to offer the 2nd seat

I've done many kickstarter campaigns for arts groups, and if Lucky wanted to offer the 2nd seat in exchange for a large donation he is free to do that. Lots of campaigns have mega-prizes for substantial donations.

He just can't have a lottery to choose the winner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.