FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - OMAT holding a kickstarter to fund his travel
Old May 8, 2014, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
And there is an option on the Kickstarter site to report the effort if you feel that way. It is at the bottom of the page. :-:
Noted, and I did. I just didn't think it was apropos to air that information here.

I doubt anything happens of it, Kickstarter is too big and their policy on review is a bit strange. There have also been many other projects blatantly in violation of ToS that have made it through funding, and I can't believe that none of them were reported in time. It seems more common that they don't take the issue that seriously unless it becomes a huge deal.

For what it's worth I think this sets up a potential quagmire for Kickstarter, if this idea is successful and is replicated often they will be known as a new Honeyfund or whatever other random site people use to get others to fund their lives (nothing against Honeyfund, it's a great idea for newlyweds). The point of Kickstarter is to help fund new ventures, projects, and startups. If Kickstarter is fine with this and welcomes the new reputation then that's great, but I think the community they have built up wouldn't follow such a transition.

All ethics aside, that is a huge reason for my distaste in his idea.