Reload this Page >

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Old May 15, 2020, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
But even I don’t think he uses or needs to use ghostwriters. You can tell they’re not ghostwriters by the writing style which really doesn’t deviate at all. Why they can’t keep guest bloggers I have no idea, but think it’s a little weird? I assume it has something to do with a money.
It's very simple. If you're super-efficient at writing your own stuff, it takes longer to edit an article from someone else into shape than it does to write an identical article yourself, especially if you need to fact-check it too.
rt23456p likes this.
Old May 15, 2020, 9:44 pm

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Raffles
It's very simple. If you're super-efficient at writing your own stuff, it takes longer to edit an article from someone else into shape than it does to write an identical article yourself, especially if you need to fact-check it too.
No offense to him, but he’s not a very good writer which is one of the ways you can tell there’s no ghostwriter.
Old May 16, 2020, 4:26 am

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
Originally Posted by Raffles
No offense to him, but he’s not a very good writer which is one of the ways you can tell there’s no ghostwriter.
i don't think Raffles was suggesting he was a "good" writer ... just that he was a quick/efficient writer !
Old May 16, 2020, 9:17 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
His blog business didn't make him so much money because he's a very good writer. His blog business became a business success because he was able to get and keep an audience with his content and because he was able to make the right partnerships to make a success of his blog as a business. He has been an adequate enough writer to not let writing get in the way of the blog becoming a success as a business. That's good enough for me.
Old May 16, 2020, 11:57 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by fartoomanyusers
i don't think Raffles was suggesting he was a "good" writer ... just that he was a quick/efficient writer !
Moreover, there are plenty of posts written by ghostwriters that aren't "good writing".
Old May 16, 2020, 5:33 pm

Clearly it's good enough for his target audience, hence his popularity. It's a blog, not literature.
SANspotter likes this.
Old May 18, 2020, 1:53 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
I’m someone whose been critical of OMAAT because I don’t like the turn the blog has taken into a leftist political agenda against Trump on a lot of posts. However, I do think Ben has been curtailing this activity (somewhat) which I appreciate.

But even I don’t think he uses or needs to use ghostwriters. You can tell they’re not ghostwriters by the writing style which really doesn’t deviate at all. Why they can’t keep guest bloggers I have no idea, but think it’s a little weird? I assume it has something to do with a money.
I read his blog often, where did he ever go on leftist political commentary? The only time that comes close to mind is when he (rightfully) lambasted Marriott in some Caribbean island for not hosting a gay wedding. As a gay man himself, I think it’s definitely his prerogative to write about it if he wants, (although marriage equality shouldn’t even be a left right issue, and it’s definitely not anti-Trump)
Old May 19, 2020, 3:18 am

Snowflakes think that every time someone talks about Trump without saying that he is our lord and saviour it means that you have a leftist political agenda, thus the comment [redacted]. In reality, Ben takes a few jabs here and there at Trump, mostly making fun of a few things he said, nothing especially political.
jamesinclair likes this.

Last edited by oliver2002; May 19, 2020 at 3:20 am Reason: redacted reference to specific member
Old May 19, 2020, 3:23 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Ladies & Gentlemen, Dear Kids,
the political agenda discussion has been already chewed upon some time ago. Lets leave it at that.

Regards Oliver2002
Mod EM&PR forum
tom911 and mikex163 like this.
Old May 19, 2020, 8:16 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Deleted

Last edited by iadisgreat; May 19, 2020 at 8:24 pm
Old Jun 3, 2020, 9:28 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I happened to notice Lucky's post today on the China/US airlines situation and possible US action. I thought it was good in that he went into background detail about the issue with what China has been doing and what led to this point. The other blogs I noticed that posted about it just had a brief blurb that made it seem like the pending US announcement came out of nowhere.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 10:28 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
All major new outlets are reporting it with context... an example: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/03/b...#link-191a8d5d
84fiero and Adam1222 like this.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 11:52 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by oliver2002
All major new outlets are reporting it with context... an example: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/03/b...#link-191a8d5d
Why read about news in a newspaper when you can read it on a blog with no journalistic standards?
Old Jun 9, 2020, 6:47 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Well at least newspapers still put some effort into things! It seems it wouldn't have been hard for bloggers to do a bit of reading.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 12:52 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Oops double post

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.