Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2016, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by josephstern
Wait - did Lucky just review a United flight?
Why not? Most of the rest of the world isn't banned from MileagePlus . Maybe Oscar accepted Ben's check?
Old Aug 7, 2016, 11:16 am

josephstern: Yes he did, although he remains radio-silent on the nature of his relationship with the airline. Casual blog readers would sense nothing awry.

In this case I had the option between a $280 economy flight on an American CRJ-700, or a $400 first class fare on a United 787-9. Naturally I chose the latter.
Naturally!

Assuming a ban was lifted, United made a smart decision. As OMAAT's readership grows, it would stunt United's growth to be invisible on the blog.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by davie355
josephstern: Yes he did, although he remains radio-silent on the nature of his relationship with the airline. Casual blog readers would sense nothing awry.

Naturally!

Assuming a ban was lifted, United made a smart decision. As OMAAT's readership grows, it would stunt United's growth to be invisible on the blog.
I am not sure if your comment is tongue in cheek? If not you give OMAAT a lot more credit as an "influencer" then it deserves. I think UA has done just fine without the blessing of someone who committed fraud against them. I really hope if he takes the UA flight there are no "issues" that he could throw a hissy fit about and try to get a UA cert for his inconvenience.

Do you think this one post will have his fan boys all running to UA now? LOL. That sounded like one of the stupid questions he asks at the end of one of his posts.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 1:59 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Typical passive aggressive way for Ben to announce that he has compensated UA for having defrauded them, imho.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
One small note about the review itself.

Ben's airline and chain hotel reviews are just about the best anywhere but, as has been said here many times, his judgment about things gustatory can be more than a bit hit or miss. Here he calls the chicken jambalaya "not good"; our own SFO777 calls this meal "one of the best domestic meals you'll find."

I'll go with SFO777 on this one. (Sadly, the last time I flew UA in F was a regional flight late at night and there was no meal.)

A cynic might point to the word "domestic" in SFO777's comment and sneer that that makes Ben and SFO777 both right. Of course, no one here is a cynic, right?

On another subject, I have no doubt at all that there's an NDA as part of the whole UA settlement thing. Too bad, because the details might've been interesting, or at least somewhat instructive. And that's exactly why there's an NDA.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by FallenPlat

Ben's airline and chain hotel reviews are just about the best anywhere but, as has been said here many times, his judgment about things gustatory can be more than a bit hit or miss. Here he calls the chicken jambalaya "not good"; our own SFO777 calls this meal "one of the best domestic meals you'll find."

I'll go with SFO777 on this one. (Sadly, the last time I flew UA in F was a regional flight late at night and there was no meal.)

A cynic might point to the word "domestic" in SFO777's comment and sneer that that makes Ben and SFO777 both right. Of course, no one here is a cynic, right?

On another subject, I have no doubt at all that there's an NDA as part of the whole UA settlement thing. Too bad, because the details might've been interesting, or at least somewhat instructive. And that's exactly why there's an NDA.

Funny, I think his reviews are tiresome and while I use to read him ages ago and I admit tried some of the products he tried, I found my review was 180 degrees different from his. That's when I stopped reading him and only go over there if something is referenced here. When I do, my opinion of him and the blog are reinforced.

If he is back in UAs good graces at least we know he won't be trying to scam them for something if his "standards" are not met. I'm sure his name and MP account have lots of interesting notes attached. I am disappointed that UA did this. Guess there is no such thing as moral high ground if the company is publicly held.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cruisr
If he is back in UAs good graces at least we know he won't be trying to scam them for something if his "standards" are not met.
He's laying the groundwork with the mediocre food comment. He can't help it .
Old Aug 7, 2016, 3:21 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by FallenPlat

To the point that he has great chain hotel reviews, today's post of the Hilton Colombo suggests otherwise. Putting aside some of his weird comments about what one "expects" in Sri Lanka, and calling a room that seems pretty new "dated," he talks about it being something special that the property "allows Diamond members to have breakfast in the Executive Lounge." Considering Executive Lounge access is a guaranteed benefit of Diamond status, this shows some ignorance. And while yes, properties can provide the Diamond breakfast in their restaurant or give an option, my experience is Lounge is the standard, and it's rarely as good as the restaurant breakfast.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Adam1222
To the point that he has great chain hotel reviews, today's post of the Hilton Colombo suggests otherwise. Putting aside some of his weird comments about what one "expects" in Sri Lanka, and calling a room that seems pretty new "dated," he talks about it being something special that the property "allows Diamond members to have breakfast in the Executive Lounge." Considering Executive Lounge access is a guaranteed benefit of Diamond status, this shows some ignorance. And while yes, properties can provide the Diamond breakfast in their restaurant or give an option, my experience is Lounge is the standard, and it's rarely as good as the restaurant breakfast.
Cinnamon Lakeside Colombo > Hilton Colombo. Particularly if one books the Executive floor at CLC.

Don't take hotel advice from credit card and premium cabin bloggers.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Cinnamon Lakeside Colombo > Hilton Colombo. Particularly if one books the Executive floor at CLC.

Don't take hotel advice from credit card and premium cabin bloggers.
But but but how do I earn points? Do they offer an affiliate link?
Old Aug 7, 2016, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
But but but how do I earn points? Do they offer an affiliate link?
Thing is, the executive floor at the CLC was only a little more than a cheap room at the Hilton. Its freaking Colombo, after all. Who would waste good points on such a cheap room!?
Old Aug 7, 2016, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Thing is, the executive floor at the CLC was only a little more than a cheap room at the Hilton. Its freaking Colombo, after all. Who would waste good points on such a cheap room!?
Some Hiltons are way too expensive relative to other hotels of a similar quality in the same area. The one in Brisbane is particularly bad at this, at least for dates I'm looking at.

But some people just have more points than they know what to do with!
Old Aug 8, 2016, 5:13 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by cruisr
Funny, I think his reviews are tiresome and while I use to read him ages ago and I admit tried some of the products he tried, I found my review was 180 degrees different from his. That's when I stopped reading him and only go over there if something is referenced here. When I do, my opinion of him and the blog are reinforced.

If he is back in UAs good graces at least we know he won't be trying to scam them for something if his "standards" are not met. I'm sure his name and MP account have lots of interesting notes attached. I am disappointed that UA did this. Guess there is no such thing as moral high ground if the company is publicly held.
I feel the same about his reviews.
I am surprised it took United that long to do this...Having a popular blogger in its fold is good for business for both sides. No moral high grounds when it comes to stock prices and credit card conversions...
Old Aug 8, 2016, 9:54 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Why is everyone assuming that he made up with UA?

I'd say it's far, far more likely that he was banned from MP, not from flying UA.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are also ways to fly without a ticket in your name, at least domestically.

If the ticket is in someone else's name and you get past security with a boarding pass for a refundable flight in your name . . .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.