Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2020, 7:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by oliver2002
The active deal with United to promote the brand is with TPG/Red Ventures right now.
The "active deal"? Like there's only one blog/brand they work with at a time for certain promotion work, unlike Bask Bank which apparently paid off every blogger? Doesn't seem like TPG is doing a good job promoting United looking at the site right now. Barely any recent articles, no fluff pieces, and United cards are missing from any kind of noticeable feature on the site. If they're paying well, I hope they ask for a refund.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 7:46 pm
Suspended

It's been over a month since the last "contributor" wrote anything for OMAAT. Seems a bit odd how the contributors ebb & flow, and after all the work Ben & Tiffany have done over the years to bring on additional viewpoints, not sure why they keep getting marginalized. It's clearly not a money thing, and they do write good content.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamesinclair
Interesting article.

This is the relevant bit:
It doesnt sound like he broke the rules though.

Its also interesting to compare what the article says he does:

To what he does now, which is mostly pay cash using revenue from affiliate links and his husband's job.
It's not his husband's job (which I think largely is successful based on referrals from Ben's blog) and it's not his husband's family's largesse. It's the blog. He makes a fortune on the blog. He makes plenty to pay for all of the review flights and much, much more. He's not riding anyone's coattails. He's the rainmaker.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 11:11 pm
Suspended

The active deal with United to promote the brand is with TPG/Red Ventures right now.
UA isn't mentioned on their advertising policy page. Google doesn't bring up anything in regards to this, either.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 12:25 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by stuck720
It's been over a month since the last "contributor" wrote anything for OMAAT. Seems a bit odd how the contributors ebb & flow, and after all the work Ben & Tiffany have done over the years to bring on additional viewpoints, not sure why they keep getting marginalized. It's clearly not a money thing, and they do write good content.
I doubt all the articles posted under the name of Ben are really from him. Tiffany commented here that my assumptions are wrong. Be that as it may be, it seems google ranks contributions from one writer on a site higher, as it perpetuates the impression that a blog is written by this lonely wolf for the greater good.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
You don’t quite understand how it works. If you know the stuff off the top of your head, writing a post takes literally no more time than it takes to type the words, which if you can type quickly is not much time.

In such cases, 90% of the time is actually used for fixing typos, inserting images, writing metadata, categorising and adding links, all of which can be done by someone else.
Old May 10, 2020, 3:39 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
So you know how VFTW and OMAAT often have posts about the same topic that go up very close together...often the headlines are almost identical. Today was the Citi Business AAdvantage card...VFTW's was 9 Reasons to get the card, but poor Lucky only came up with 6 Reasons. Just got a chuckle from it.
rt23456p likes this.
Old May 10, 2020, 6:16 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Yeah...I got the screenshot, posting it tomorrow. I have always said they pay the same ghost writer who tries (sometimes not so hard lol) to sound different but...
84fiero and rt23456p like this.
Old May 10, 2020, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AF, Chase, Hyatt Explorist
The recent slew of anti-UA posts has gotten to be a little much too. He said he thinks UA is in the worst financial position right now, which, I don't think most analysts on Wall Street would agree with that.
Old May 11, 2020, 12:11 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by gpapadop
I have always said they pay the same ghost writer who tries (sometimes not so hard lol) to sound different but...
Now now... Tiffany has insisted time and again that everything is written by the master himself. How dare you....
rt23456p likes this.
Old May 11, 2020, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Now now... Tiffany has insisted time and again that everything is written by the master himself. How dare you....
Given VFTW tendency to rip things from other sources, Tiffany could be telling the truth...VFTW provides close to zero value add in anything he posts. He's just an aggregator with his own couple of lines of (terrible) analysis added on top.
84fiero, lsquare, zeer0 and 4 others like this.
Old May 11, 2020, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
I've met Tiffany, and I believe her.
B747-437B likes this.
Old May 12, 2020, 8:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 84fiero
So you know how VFTW and OMAAT often have posts about the same topic that go up very close together...often the headlines are almost identical. Today was the Citi Business AAdvantage card...VFTW's was 9 Reasons to get the card, but poor Lucky only came up with 6 Reasons. Just got a chuckle from it.
Every major affiliate blogger gets the same heads up on the new offers (and hilariously sometimes they get other bloggers not under affiliate deals to abide by an embargo too, suckers) and they all just recycle the post the ran the last time, maybe just updating what the new bonus mile would get you (A round trip economy ticket to Europe, assuming the airline doesn't devalue their program in COVID induced bankruptcy? Sign me up!)
Old May 15, 2020, 1:18 am

Yeah, I don't know why would they need ghost writers for those posts, let alone use the same. It's quite clear that they receive the same press release and they re-write it a bit for their own personal styles (I'm assuming VFTW adds a few typos just to pretend he doesn't care about typos).
Old May 15, 2020, 2:02 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
I’m someone whose been critical of OMAAT because I don’t like the turn the blog has taken into a leftist political agenda against Trump on a lot of posts. However, I do think Ben has been curtailing this activity (somewhat) which I appreciate.

But even I don’t think he uses or needs to use ghostwriters. You can tell they’re not ghostwriters by the writing style which really doesn’t deviate at all. Why they can’t keep guest bloggers I have no idea, but think it’s a little weird? I assume it has something to do with a money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.