Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2016, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Editing an article written by someone else takes a decent % of the time needed to write it yourself, plus 'management oversight' time.

TPG is the model. Staff writers, an overall editor (not Brian), Brian gets to run around all day making YouTube videos and appearing on TV :-)
Old Aug 5, 2016, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Raffles
TPG is the model. Staff writers, an overall editor (not Brian), Brian gets to run around all day making YouTube videos and appearing on TV :-)
Basically what I said, Ben seems like he could outsource more .
Old Aug 5, 2016, 11:22 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Editing an article written by someone else takes a decent % of the time needed to write it yourself, plus 'management oversight' time.

What editing do you think he does? It's pretty clear that his bunch (save one...) is competent enough to write blog posts. Also, it's fairly clear that all contributors to that site (again, save one...) have recognizable voices. Ben is not spending time working on blog posts.

I have a full time job and could easily write all the posts he does (save the trip report ones since my job doesn't involve expensing business class travel) in my VERY spare time.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 1:46 pm

I think it's very clear by Ben's constant use of cliché and repetitiveness that there is no real editing going on at OMAAT.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 2:27 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by josephstern
I have to agree with Raffles here - I'm pretty sure Ben is really putting in some hours.

Further, for someone like Gary, I can't see how he has a full time job and manages to churn out as many words as he does. Granted, the quality of Ben's posts is much higher, but Gary is a machine. Something tells me I wouldn't want to be his (other) employer.
Come on, it's easy to churn them out when you don't spell check or edit them for accuracy.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
What editing do you think he does? It's pretty clear that his bunch (save one...) is competent enough to write blog posts. Also, it's fairly clear that all contributors to that site (again, save one...) have recognizable voices. Ben is not spending time working on blog posts.

I have a full time job and could easily write all the posts he does (save the trip report ones since my job doesn't involve expensing business class travel) in my VERY spare time.
You think his bunch is competent because ..... you read their articles and they seem accurate. That is called editing :-)

I suggest if you could write a blog generating a couple of million $ in your spare time you must be doing darn well in your full time job!
Old Aug 5, 2016, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skunker
Come on, it's easy to churn them out when you don't spell check or edit them for accuracy.
Feels like he speaks them into his phone using speech-to-text and he never even reads over them once. But, he's got readers . . .
Old Aug 5, 2016, 5:10 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
You think his bunch is competent because ..... you read their articles and they seem accurate. That is called editing :-)

I suggest if you could write a blog generating a couple of million $ in your spare time you must be doing darn well in your full time job!
And I probably could and have thought about it, except the market is pretty saturated. Plus I have better things to do with my time than MS and find BFs to add to my write-offs. But thanks!
Old Aug 5, 2016, 8:36 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
(Double post)

Last edited by Adam1222; Aug 5, 2016 at 8:44 pm
Old Aug 5, 2016, 8:42 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Are you having a laugh? I run 21 articles a week and my site take about 50 hours of my time. That includes dealing with over 1,000 weekly emails and 1,500 blog comments and an average of 3 face to face meetings.

Ben is overseeing over 50 articles a week plus award booking plus everything else, whilst travelling like mad. His work ethic is amazing.
"Travelling like mad" would only be relevant if he was doing things like exploring cities or foreign cultures.

Overseeing 50 3 paragraph articles written at a 3rd grade reading level, which are formulaic and redundant, isn't as big a deal as you suggest. Many of us have to engage in creativity and critical thinking and write far more each week, without the benefit of a middle eastern airline or spg pr catering to our every whim.

Regardless of whether you think Ben is a cartoon character or not, amazement at his work ethic, which is conditioned on luxury work conditions, is an affront to the millions of people who work really hard in conditions far worse than Saudia business class.

In the real world, we recognize that work ethic does not correlate with financial success, particularly if you're willing to mislead and misrepresent.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 6:09 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Hey guys, do you think that the Prestige card is still a good card to go for? Oh, that's what I thought. In the meantime, here is a bunch of more credit cards you can get too. Have a nice day, see ya' all tomorrow where I will come up with the same reasons to sell the same credit cards because I care for YOU!

Yawn...

Old Aug 6, 2016, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by skunker
or you have an AAirline's PR department write many of the posts
Old Aug 7, 2016, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
Old Aug 7, 2016, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wait - did Lucky just review a United flight?
Old Aug 7, 2016, 11:15 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Sometimes I wonder why I click on this thread. So many demonstrably baseless posts. I often don't think they're funny either -- more's the pity.

But as I've said before, there are a lot of great posts here, too. And funny.

So today josephstern lobs out one of the latter. I'm completely floored!

I say that with the obviously mixed emotions that we all perhaps have. What, no more United jokes? Gone for ever? I weep.

Où sont les neiges d'antan?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.