Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Old Aug 8, 2016, 5:10 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by PassengerPoldberg
@Skunker unfortunately not. On the bright side OMAAT lead me to you fine people here at FT!
Just don't call it "The Hobby" and we should be ok.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Lucky thinks living a little is staying at a Doubletree .
Those cookies are pretty good though.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skunker
The Hilton Colombo actually has a decent lounge breakfast. The part that frustrates me is they ate at the Italian restaurant at the hotel. Seriously both Lucky and Matt wanted Italian and "oh look, the hotel has an Italian restaurant!"

It's Sri Lanka, live a little!
Maybe I'm not understanding. Are there restaurants in Sri Lanka where you can earn points that are outside of hotels?

Does RewardsNetwork cover Sri Lanka also?

It's almost like you're implying that they should spend money on food and get nothing but food in return.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 6:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by skunker
The Hilton Colombo actually has a decent lounge breakfast. The part that frustrates me is they ate at the Italian restaurant at the hotel. Seriously both Lucky and Matt wanted Italian and "oh look, the hotel has an Italian restaurant!"

It's Sri Lanka, live a little!
Come on man, that's a bit much. If they wanted Italian, let them have it. I just recently went to London. My hotel had a fantastic Italian restaurant which I really enjoyed. I guess I should have skipped it and went looking for Fish n' Chips?
Old Aug 8, 2016, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by pacolovestacos
Come on man, that's a bit much. If they wanted Italian, let them have it. I just recently went to London. My hotel had a fantastic Italian restaurant which I really enjoyed. I guess I should have skipped it and went looking for Fish n' Chips?
Are you new here? He never leaves the hotel. He actually ate Moroccan food in Morocco, but again, they didn't leave the hotel.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Even if he is still banned by MP it's not a huge loss for him points / miles-wise unless he's actively chasing UA status.

Without status he's better off crediting all his UA flying to SQ anyway for any el Cheapo fares (which I'm sure he'd quickly point out is a Citi, AMEX, Chase, and SPG partner) and crediting to AC for anything that's a P fare or higher (150% earn on AC which also happens to be an SPG and AMEX partner).
Old Aug 8, 2016, 7:51 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist

If you're going to claim to be well-traveled, and market your expertise in seeing the world, yes, you should go off property.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 8:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Adam1222
If you're going to claim to be well-traveled, and market your expertise in seeing the world, yes, you should go off property.
I did. Do I have to do it for every meal? Or am I old enough to decide on my own what to eat?
Old Aug 8, 2016, 9:00 pm

I did. Do I have to do it for every meal? Or am I old enough to decide on my own what to eat?
Simmer down now.
The point was no one is talking about you, buddy. We're talking about Lucky. Who bills himself as a travel expert and makes a living off that "expertise". And spent his one night in Sri Lanka at an Italian restaurant at the Hilton. Similar to his one night in Morocco , and every other country.
No one asked you where you ate or cares. You brought it up.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 9:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Adam1222
Who bills himself as a travel expert and makes a living off that "expertise". And spent his one night in Sri Lanka at an Italian restaurant at the Hilton.
So someone who eats at their hotel's italian restaurant cannot be a travel expert? Very interesting sir.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 9:36 pm

So someone who eats at their hotel's italian restaurant cannot be a travel expert? Very interesting sir.
I think you skimmed a few posts and take them all in.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 1:02 am

At least it shows (in this specific case when only spending 1 night in the country) a lack of interest in the couleur locale. At least in my book such interest is key when claiming to be a travel expert.

I guess he prefers to eat Sri Lankan when staying in Dubai. Al Maha serves a fab Sri Lankan menu with specialty curries and dishes .

And just FYI: Al Maha is one of those few properties where even a travel expert should not be allowed to leave the property for having dinner .
Old Aug 9, 2016, 3:23 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Marco Polo, Skywards, Etihad Guest, IHG, Aeroplan
On lucky's defense, the italian restaurant is really good. I ate there once when I stayed at the Hilton (also for one night). But I do agree with all of you that he was probably unwilling to venture outside the hotel. This is a pity because only 5-10 minutes on foot, there is Dutch Hospital shopping area with great local restaurants, bars, and clubs.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 4:25 am

That's not what I said sir.

I'm sorry you seem to be looking for a fight with a strawman like that. Either that or you're not familiar with Ben's blog and are inserting yourself into a conversation with little knowledge.
I stand by what I said, which is that someone who never eats off property is not someone I consider "well traveled" or a travel expert. You're free to disagree, but there's no need for you to take this personally or put words in my mouth, sir.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 10:03 am

I've never seen Ben calling himself a travel expert in that sense. He's a travel expert on two things: premium cabins and US-based hotel chains. That's it. And he makes that point very often and tells clearly that if you're looking for local culture there are better blogs out there.
Ben does plenty that can be criticized. No need to criticize him for something he's not.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.