Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2016, 11:12 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Big_Foot
Is she gonna bring back the old chart and old availability?
What's the point, at his time to even care who is in charge of this
so-called "program"?
Ding Ding Ding!
Old Aug 10, 2016, 11:14 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Oof, and now this, which is so so sad. Ben doesn't explore the world in his 20s because he's making money now so he can when he's older.

I know some of you like to pan Ben for rarely stepping outside the friendly confines of western hotels or airline lounges, but it is not because he does not want to – it is because he has a job to do. There will be time for more “cultured” things later, but frankly the type of discipline now employed will allow him to take in all the culture he wants in the years to come. He has struck while the iron is hot.
Of course this is written by another [redacted]. I don't think there are many people in their 50s and 60s who would say, "I'm so glad I passed up on the opportunities to enjoy life and see the places I was traveling in my 20s so I could maybe do so in 45 years."

If the suggestion is that Ben can't go to a restaurant off the premises of the Hyatt because he won't make as much money, that's illogical.

Oh, and it's an insult to those of us who manage to have careers, make money, and see the world when we travel -- in our 20s, 30s, and later in life.

Last edited by oliver2002; Aug 10, 2016 at 11:06 pm Reason: lets not use offensive terms
Old Aug 10, 2016, 11:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
I think it takes a very determined effort to be insulted by that article. I think the point Matthew was trying to make was that Ben would rather eat at a hotel restaurant because he can write a blog post about it and help enhance his SEO for that hotel.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by bthotugigem05
I think it takes a very determined effort to be insulted by that article. I think the point Matthew was trying to make was that Ben would rather eat at a hotel restaurant because he can write a blog post about it and help enhance his SEO for that hotel.
True. if anything, we should be honored!
You think it's a coincidence that a blog responding to critics of Ben not eating at restaurants outside of a hotel comes the day after we're talking about that here??

Of course it's entirely misleading in that it fails to point out the connection between posting and income. It's not that he's posting just to share tips with the world. It's to sell.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 12:07 pm

Yes, I'm sure Ben's world revolves around this thread...
He runs a supposedly multi-million dollar business (at least is what some people on this thread claim, I have no idea), and decides what to post based on stuff folks say about him in a thread in a sub-sub-forum of FT. Yeah right.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Adam1222
Interesting story about UA and a criminal prosecution for voucher shenanigans: https://consumerist.com/2016/08/10/m...avel-vouchers/ I guess he wasnt *Lucky* (That's a pun for those who seem to be new here.)
Are you really comparing a guy that hacked into UA's systems to steal something and then sell it, to Ben, who did something (unethical and probably borderline illegal, that's for sure, but not "illegal enough" to be sued by UA) plenty of other folks were doing at the same time? You are really comparing the two cases? Really?
Old Aug 10, 2016, 1:26 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by mikex163
He runs a supposedly multi-million dollar business (at least is what some people on this thread claim, I have no idea), and decides what to post based on stuff folks say about him in a thread in a sub-sub-forum of FT. Yeah right.
I believe the quote was from MatthewLAX who was on the trip with Lucky and was the person I referred to in my original comment about Matt and Lucky eating Italian at the hotel. Matt does follow this thread and does post here. Try to keep up.

Could I at least get a H/T next time?
Old Aug 10, 2016, 1:37 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
There are dozens of examples of bloggers responding to posts in this forum on their blogs within days and sometimes hours.

This forum is required reading for miles, points, transportation and credit card bloggers (and their staff). @:-)^
Old Aug 10, 2016, 1:42 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by bthotugigem05
Then don't say something like "Matthew and I both felt like eating Italian, and as it turns out, the hotel has an Italian restaurant which is well regarded..." because it sounds really naive and silly.

Say "We also checked out the Italian restaurant in the hotel so I could provide this review:..."

IOW, don't lie.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 2:32 pm

Are you really comparing a guy that hacked into UA's systems to steal something and then sell it, to Ben, who did something (unethical and probably borderline illegal, that's for sure, but not "illegal enough" to be sued by UA) plenty of other folks were doing at the same time? You are really comparing the two cases? Really?
Yep! I am!
Except I don't think one was only "borderline" illegal. And I don't draw any conclusions from the fact that UA was not sued, as I don't know the facts of UA's settlement with Ben. Do you? If so, please share them! I do know, though, that the fact a lawsuit wasn't filed says little to nothing about how "illegal" the underlying conduct was.

I think it's not a far stretch to share a story about someone getting into legal trouble for manipulating a vulnerability in United's travel voucher system in a forum about a blogger who faced legal recourse for manipulating a vulnerability in United's travel voucher system.

Did I say they were the exact same thing? No. For one thing, the guy in the story I shared probably won't have a million dollar career premised on his amazing skills at flying cheaply. But as Ben's return to the friendly skies was discussed this week, I believe it was relevant to share.

Last edited by Adam1222; Aug 10, 2016 at 3:20 pm
Old Aug 10, 2016, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA EP
Borderline illegal? Is that you Ben?? Lol
Old Aug 10, 2016, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Then don't say something like "Matthew and I both felt like eating Italian, and as it turns out, the hotel has an Italian restaurant which is well regarded..." because it sounds really naive and silly.

Say "We also checked out the Italian restaurant in the hotel so I could provide this review:..."

IOW, don't lie.
And charge to our room so we could get more points :-)
Old Aug 10, 2016, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
Borderline illegal? Is that you Ben?? Lol
Very disappointing that some people claim what Benny did was "borderline" illegal. There's no borderline. It's either legal or illegal and he committed fraud against UAL and THAT is illegal.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by cruisr
Very disappointing that some people claim what Benny did was "borderline" illegal. There's no borderline. It's either legal or illegal and he committed fraud against UAL and THAT is illegal.
The case never made it to the courts, so how can we be sure?
Old Aug 11, 2016, 12:46 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by davie355
The case never made it to the courts, so how can we be sure?
The use of a bit of common sense and applying some of the values that are normal in society normally are a good starting point .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.