Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2016, 11:09 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Hyatt & AA/US systematically courts influencers like OMAAT and VFTW.

EY has former AA/Hyatt folks know to the HOM who continue the tradition.
Ben is constantly getting favors from AA. He works media relations like a Girl Scout on the final week of a cookie push.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 5:19 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
Ben is constantly getting favors from AA. He works media relations like a Girl Scout on the final week of a cookie push.
They work him (and Gary) right back - remember the savage posts about the devaluation quickly followed up by the "well, AA isn't all that bad and I'll still use them as my airline of choice" posts?
Old Aug 4, 2016, 7:47 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Gold, Delta, AMEX Membership Rewards
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
The analogies used in this thread ^. Too funny!
Old Aug 4, 2016, 11:25 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by airmilesfordays
I think One mile at a time is still relevant and highly influential on the circle of travel blogs in regards to air miles and scoring the best deals on flights. He did cover major airlines too like Etihad Airways
Hi Ford! Welcome to Flyertalk.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 12:52 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by bthotugigem05
Also, I don't think people really read my blog to get accurate reviews, they read it for the stories. I'm pretty sure Ben's readers are the same way, it's hard to get an accurate take on any subject with a sample size of n=1 anyway.
This strikes me as an insane statement. Ben has been posting about how people wanted him to try some different products. Was it because they wanted his "stories", i.e., "this is what a gin and tonic looks like" or "omg foreign taxi drivers eek!" No. It was because people are looking for objective accounts of flying certain products. A sample size of 1 can actually be pretty useful, if it provides, for example, pictures of the hard product, information about what service is provided on a particular flight, etc.

If a blog is not providing "accurate" information while it suggests it is, and uses that inaccurate information to sell things, that's deceptive marketing.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 12:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by kthpence
Just yesterday, he tweeted @ JetBlue to inform his followers (but mostly JetBlue) that he was flying on their MINT product.
I was just shocked to see it took him two years to finally fly the product everyone else has raved about since it launched. And disappointed to see that he seems to think he discovered how amazing it was. Late to the game but pretending it just started.

Last edited by sbm12; Aug 4, 2016 at 1:04 pm
Old Aug 4, 2016, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by sbm12
I was just shocked to see it took him two years to finally fly the product everyone else has raved about since it launched. And disappointed to see that he seems to think he discovered how amazing it was. Late to the game but pretending it juts started.
It might as well not have existed until he flew it . I think I click on his blog twice a week max now.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA, CX, AS, DL / Hilton, SPG
I have a genuine question. From reading his posts, one would get the impression that he is constantly working (even in taxis). What is it the he is constantly working on? I cannot imagine that the blog and award booking business require this seemingly non-stop amount of work.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
I believe that Ben's work mostly consists of the following: (i) writing blog entries, (ii) award booking & consulting, (iii) answering emails of all sorts, (iv) being a travel agent for himself, and (iv) otherwise running his small business.

Doing all this while on the road 24/7 is evidently a bit of a juggling act. I guess maybe it's better than being a junior associate in some big Wall Street law firm or investment bank (as pointed out above), but I personally would detest every minute of it.

Put slightly differently, the juggling act may be somewhat more logistical than truly substantive. I wouldn't be too impressed if I were you.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by FallenPlat
Put slightly differently, the juggling act may be somewhat more logistical than truly substantive. I wouldn't be too impressed if I were you.
If his annual blog revenue (from all sources) is in the millions as some have claimed, I figure it would have to make sense to outsource a lot more than he does. Obviously (i) and (ii) are outsourced a bit, with co-writers and co-bookers. (iii) I'm guessing there's room for improvement there, unless this is what he is doing that requires the constant wi-fi. (iv) shouldn't take that much time weekly, even with his schedule (take it from someone who has booked a few very complex awards, and Ben only travels 2-3x what I did at my peak). (v), maybe. Who knows. I wouldn't want that life though, 200,000 BIS a year was plenty for me.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 12:41 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I think Ben tries to imply the travel style of a road warrior: fly someplace in C or F, stay at a 5* chain hotel, rush to meetings then to the airport and off to some other place in C or F with the next chain hotel and meetings. Its the style he started with and stuck to.

I seriously doubt he has so much work. Either its a fake or he is completely disorganised.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
I think Ben tries to imply the travel style of a road warrior: fly someplace in C or F, stay at a 5* chain hotel, rush to meetings then to the airport and off to some other place in C or F with the next chain hotel and meetings. Its the style he started with and stuck to.

I seriously doubt he has so much work. Either its a fake or he is completely disorganised.
He strikes me as one of those people who constantly claim that they are "busy" just for the sake of sounding "busy."
Old Aug 5, 2016, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by RunningforMiles
I have a genuine question. From reading his posts, one would get the impression that he is constantly working (even in taxis). What is it the he is constantly working on? I cannot imagine that the blog and award booking business require this seemingly non-stop amount of work.
Are you having a laugh? I run 21 articles a week and my site take about 50 hours of my time. That includes dealing with over 1,000 weekly emails and 1,500 blog comments and an average of 3 face to face meetings.

Ben is overseeing over 50 articles a week plus award booking plus everything else, whilst travelling like mad. His work ethic is amazing.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have to agree with Raffles here - I'm pretty sure Ben is really putting in some hours.

Further, for someone like Gary, I can't see how he has a full time job and manages to churn out as many words as he does. Granted, the quality of Ben's posts is much higher, but Gary is a machine. Something tells me I wouldn't want to be his (other) employer.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 10:25 am

Programs: AA, CX, AS, DL / Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by Raffles
Are you having a laugh? I run 21 articles a week and my site take about 50 hours of my time. That includes dealing with over 1,000 weekly emails and 1,500 blog comments and an average of 3 face to face meetings.

Ben is overseeing over 50 articles a week plus award booking plus everything else, whilst travelling like mad. His work ethic is amazing.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe he has a staff of about 6 for the blog and about 9 for the award booking service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.