Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2016, 7:45 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
OMG. The comments in those MU posts...I was laughing out loud hysterically at some of those.
Because they are calling out truth to Ben's nonsense? Or because they are so fan-boy-esque it's revolting?
Old Jul 29, 2016, 8:00 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
Because they are calling out truth to Ben's nonsense? Or because they are so fan-boy-esque it's revolting?
Both. But some of the comments are just so witty, it is hillarious.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 9:21 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
Both. But some of the comments are just so witty, it is hillarious.
Lucky,
Your posts have already gained social media attention on several Chinese platforms, addressing you as “the guy from the $5 champagne”.
“the $5 champagne princess strikes again”
Oh my.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 10:51 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
A small cross section of comments:

"Next time you fly, put on a fake mustache. That way no one can recognize or point you out!"

"And the flight crew from your first China Eastern flight is somewhere in Outer Mongolia performing hard labor……."

"** Official business of communist party of China **

Mister Lucky we are very distressed to hear of your bad experience on our airlines. We try to control everything our citizens do to ensure good experiences for tourists but they mess up sometimes. They will be dealt with appropriately. Their parents are already working on the farms. We trust your next flight will be better. Would you like being smiled at 5 times or 10 times during the flight? We need to tell the flight attendants. You have our permission to slap anyone you catch smoking on the planes."

"I’m all for a gofundme page to finance Nick a trip in J on that dumpster fire in the sky. The review would break the internet."

"As a white American, I love traveling to places like Hong Kong, Taiwan, Philippines, etc. They worship you like you are God just because you are white. They always kiss your ..., give you special treatment, as you are way above them if you are white. But in mainland China, not the case at all, being white doesn’t get you any privileges! I totally understand Ben’s frustration with Chinese airlines, no special treatment for white people! Terrible!"

"Would this a bad time to say that China should get out of the south China Sea? Stop being bully with a bad airline. Just be a normal country with a bad airline. Ok carry on."
Old Jul 29, 2016, 11:19 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
What a bunch of unkind people ....

What is wrong with the ethic if you do not like something scroll along...

At the end of the day - if the flight crew cannot fly from LAX to Shanghai without smoking, in an airline that bans smoking - they should not be employed.

Smoking on a plane is a safety risk for everyone...

While I understand that some people in this forum as so xenophobic that they would never fly a Chinese airline - its about time to do what your mother would have said to you

If you cannot say something nice how about not saying anything at all - and while she would have said that in the pre digital age - it includes all you keyboard warriers too
Old Jul 29, 2016, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by adampenrith

At the end of the day - if the flight crew cannot fly from LAX to Shanghai without smoking, in an airline that bans smoking - they should not be employed.

While I understand that some people in this forum as so xenophobic that they would never fly a Chinese airline - its about time to do what your mother would have said to you

If you cannot say something nice how about not saying anything at all - and while she would have said that in the pre digital age - it includes all you keyboard warriers too
Ben constantly makes snide, rude and uninformed comments all the time. Not sure what's wrong with calling him out on that...
Old Jul 29, 2016, 12:03 pm

The original goal of OMaaT so many years ago was not this sort of constant haranguing of China Eastern and it is unfortunate that that particular blog has fostered its reputation for such.

SO, applause, applause for reminding our members that all words written is not content.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 12:55 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by kokonutz
The original goal of OMaaT so many years ago was not this sort of constant haranguing of China Eastern and it is unfortunate that that particular blog has fostered its reputation for such.

SO, applause, applause for reminding our members that all words written is not content.
HAHAHA. Next time log out so Randy doesn't post under your account.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 1:06 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist

Of course, repeating the false trope of "if you don't have anything nice to say..." makes even less sense when you're defending Ben's "not nice" posts about an airline.

I think the negative reaction is not to the complaint about the smoke. Its more to:
- bragging about finding a cheap business class fare
- complaining about the decor, food, and timing of the bread
- appointing yourself a keystone cop to investigate the plane
- leaving China as soon as possible
- making multiple live blog posts about it
- being shocked when a government-owned carrier in China acts quickly in response to your criticism
Old Jul 29, 2016, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Adam1222
Of course, repeating the false trope of "if you don't have anything nice to say..." makes even less sense when you're defending Ben's "not nice" posts about an airline.

I think the negative reaction is not to the complaint about the smoke. Its more to:
- bragging about finding a cheap business class fare
- complaining about the decor, food, and timing of the bread
- appointing yourself a keystone cop to investigate the plane
- leaving China as soon as possible
- making multiple live blog posts about it
- being shocked when a government-owned carrier in China acts quickly in response to your criticism
Toto, we're not on a ME3 in first anymore...@:-)

Oh wait...yes he is...but in business.

Originally Posted by skunker
Oh, I plan to get a LOT of mileage out of that quote! ^

Last edited by kokonutz; Jul 29, 2016 at 1:37 pm
Old Jul 29, 2016, 1:52 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
I have read the blog.

If you are reading a blog that irritates you WHY continue.

There are so many Blogs that you would be reading and enjoying.

As a traveller I appreciate reading how someone as well travelled as Ben finds it, that review helps me to make informed decisions as to who I will fly with.

If you dont like it - why are you spending your time commenting on this person on another forum.

If you surround yourself with negativity, guess what you become - a glass pretty empty kind of person.

I think the real reason is what my Mum called the "green eyed monster", you are jelly of Ben for having such an amazing life
Today 5:00 am
Old Jul 29, 2016, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by skunker
I think the correct way to write it is Rándys
Old Jul 29, 2016, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
My reaction, as I said above, is that all this is just too funny to miss, including the comments. That's why I flagged it.

Ben's rather good at milking his material -- in this case the performance of China Eastern -- for every last drop of entertainment value.

So do I take any of this seriously? Not on your life. Do I read every word? You bet!
Old Jul 29, 2016, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
you are jelly of Ben for having such an amazing life
He can have it.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
I have read the blog.

If you are reading a blog that irritates you WHY continue.

There are so many Blogs that you would be reading and enjoying.

As a traveller I appreciate reading how someone as well travelled as Ben finds it, that review helps me to make informed decisions as to who I will fly with.

If you dont like it - why are you spending your time commenting on this person on another forum.

If you surround yourself with negativity, guess what you become - a glass pretty empty kind of person.

I think the real reason is what my Mum called the "green eyed monster", you are jelly of Ben for having such an amazing life
Today 5:00 am
Ben is not well traveled, he is well flown. FYI the people that post here are well traveled as they see things outside a US chain hotel lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.