Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2016, 12:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
The situation was already awkward enough. We were not going to take pictures of a woman shaking her boobs a few feet from our faces...
Ford is that you?
Old Aug 1, 2016, 5:57 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by Sykes
I can say that, without a doubt, Lucky receives special treatment on Etihad. I flew the inaugural AUH-> JFK A380 flight on a paid first class ticket in the Apartment immediately behind Lucky's.

From the very beginning, he received special treatment--they had a reserved area for him in the lounge, and he had a handler of sorts that hovered and ensured that his champagne glass was never empty. Meanwhile, I never got so much as a greeting.

On board, the flight crew spent easily 3x the time in his Apartment than they did in that of anyone else on board (aside from the person staying in the Residence, of course). They were constantly chatting him up and were far more proactive than I've ever seen on Etihad. Meanwhile, my service was the same prompt, polite, but indifferent and reactive service that is a hallmark of my EY first class experiences.

I'm not upset about it--my flight was still great, and the level of attention that Lucky received would have even made me uncomfortable (although he seemed to love it), but after reading the write-up on his blog later, it was even more clear that we had wildly different experiences despite being literally right next to each other on the same flight, in the same class of service. I still enjoy his blog, but I read knowing that his experiences might not reflect those of the average traveler.
Weird. I don't recall any of that info being shared when he wrote the review. Shocked!
Old Aug 1, 2016, 9:25 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Gold, Delta, AMEX Membership Rewards
Originally Posted by TMM1982
Hilarious that Lucky makes a blog about a very attractive belly dancer with more assets than the bank of Qatar but fails to take a picture? Yet he'll take a picture of a bottle of water on a plane.

This makes me furious!!
HAHAHA Come on Lucky! Throw us a bone
Old Aug 1, 2016, 2:12 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
I made a mental note to add "breast" in my headlines...
Old Aug 1, 2016, 3:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PassengerPoldberg
HAHAHA Come on Lucky! Throw us a bone
No pun intended huh?
Old Aug 1, 2016, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Remember when I said a few posts up that those weird "jealous of Ben" comments had essentially disappeared? Well, one of you has proven me wrong. Great. I mean, really, why even bother with that sort of thing?

Anyway, on to (yet) another One Mile at a Time post that's noteworthy, this time about Saudia.

I don't even know where to start. And the comments are even more eye-opening than the original post.

Even Ben's usual No. 1 troll was reduced to being serious for once: "This is how they treat women in front of well educated well paying travelers. Think how they treat maids from Phillipines, and India and Indonesia etc."

I'll just say that my eyes have been opened considerably.

Anyone read Voltaire's Candide? Well, this is real life.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...807.1459012379
Old Aug 1, 2016, 4:36 pm

The current escapade with Matthew is one of the best ever. Great reading (and learning). Although I do wish Matthew would post more on his own website.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 4:40 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by FallenPlat
Remember when I said a few posts up that those weird "jealous of Ben" comments had essentially disappeared? Well, one of you has proven me wrong. Great. I mean, really, why even bother with that sort of thing?

Anyway, on to (yet) another One Mile at a Time post that's noteworthy, this time about Saudia.

I don't even know where to start. And the comments are even more eye-opening than the original post.

Even Ben's usual No. 1 troll was reduced to being serious for once: "This is how they treat women in front of well educated well paying travelers. Think how they treat maids from Phillipines, and India and Indonesia etc."

I'll just say that my eyes have been opened considerably.

Anyone read Voltaire's Candide? Well, this is real life.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...807.1459012379
I assume you are joking asking if anyone has read Voltaire. Ben's fan boys think you are well-read if you've read both the Emirates and Cathay in flight magazines.

I agree that the service Ben seems to have had was subpar. But the strange part is how shocked he is. Does he really think cheap business class fares that he finds are all going to be "oh thank you mr. Ben."? He's so used to being served that he takes it for granted.

And omg the Hyatt thought the American tourist who didn't leave the hotel even for dinner might want some local flavor!
(If his reservation wasn't flagged by Hyatts PR team to be given extra treatment.)
Old Aug 2, 2016, 5:36 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Adam: Yes, at first, but then I added the word "Voltaire" and the stylistic effect was unfortunately mostly ruined; but I've slowly figured out that there are some folks around here who didn't exactly major or minor in, or even study, English (or rather French) . . . if you know what I mean.

More to the point, the most recent blog post in our series is on Saudia's on-board prayer room. The comments are really something to see. Trust me.

In my humble opinion, this series is one of the blog's most entertaining ever. Don't miss it (or the comments)!
Old Aug 2, 2016, 7:41 am

But the strange part is how shocked he is. Does he really think cheap business class fares that he finds are all going to be "oh thank you mr. Ben."?
I would find it very surprising that airlines go to such troubles as to appoint crappy crews to the cheapest flights.
Scheduling is already complicated as it is.

And this particular Saudia flight was cheap because they started their trip in Sri Lanka, if they had it started anywhere else it would have been much more expensive. Would the crew have a "cheat sheet" with the name of passengers who paid more or less and then treat them accordingly? Yeah right.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 8:09 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by mikex163
I would find it very surprising that airlines go to such troubles as to appoint crappy crews to the cheapest flights.
Scheduling is already complicated as it is.

And this particular Saudia flight was cheap because they started their trip in Sri Lanka, if they had it started anywhere else it would have been much more expensive. Would the crew have a "cheat sheet" with the name of passengers who paid more or less and then treat them accordingly? Yeah right.
I think you may be surprised, then.
Yes, service varies based on routes.

But that's not what I was talking about. This flight was cheap not just because of it being Colombo-based, but because it was Saudia. One should not expect the same service on Saudia as they do on Cathay. I just picked a random date in September for CMB-CMN in business class. Saudia was $512 one way; every other carrier was over $1500. Emirates is $1800. So, yes, Ben should not expect his Saudia flight to be similar in service as a flight that would cost 3.5x as much.

This shows more in his second Saudia post, which wasn't a Colombo flight, but still was full of complaints about "inefficiency."

Last edited by Adam1222; Aug 2, 2016 at 8:21 am
Old Aug 2, 2016, 8:31 am

I thought the first Saudia post was really interesting-especially the part about the male FAs goofing off and partying. Clearly, those weren't "real" FA jobs and the men occupying those positions knew it. Sort of like labor unions padding constructions jobs with "workers" sitting around watching the action.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 8:45 am

I think you may be surprised, then.
Yes, service varies based on routes.
Not surprised at all. They put the more experienced/better reviews FAs on the premium flights (not necessarily the most expensive).

But you were not saying that, you were saying that service varies based on pricing of a particular flight, which is quite different. That would implicate that a JFK-LHR flight would have different service if the customer bought the ticket last minute or on a promotion 5 months before the flight.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 9:15 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by JetAway
I thought the first Saudia post was really interesting-especially the part about the male FAs goofing off and partying. Clearly, those weren't "real" FA jobs and the men occupying those positions knew it. Sort of like labor unions padding constructions jobs with "workers" sitting around watching the action.
My takeaway was the Ben doesn't like it when *others* are having a party in a premium cabin. This time HE was the buttoned down businessman looking askew at the party going on around him (reference to RS article, for those not paying attention).

Then again it's tough to have a champagne party on a dry airline (which is one reason I will never, ever fly Saudia).
Old Aug 2, 2016, 9:29 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by JetAway
I thought the first Saudia post was really interesting-especially the part about the male FAs goofing off and partying. Clearly, those weren't "real" FA jobs and the men occupying those positions knew it.
He also mentioned some FAs patting him down in CMB. On my recent flights to/from URC on 3U and CZ we also had 2-3 sky marshalls in FA uniform sitting in the F and Y cabin pretending to be regular passengers but in uniform. @:-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.