Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2017, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Someone created a Wikipedia page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Schlappig

I don't care enough to look further into it .
Old May 8, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by TheBOSman

there is some interesting content there. Perhaps some more people can help flesh it out.
Old May 8, 2017, 9:57 pm

Some people here are literally sick with the Edits they have done to his Wiki page today after his Wiki profile link was posted upthread.

Get a life.

Get a job.

Build your own future.

Stop your jealousy.

Grow up
Old May 9, 2017, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
Some people here are literally sick with the Edits they have done to his Wiki page today after his Wiki profile link was posted upthread.
Don't look at me, I was surprised he even had one. Personally, I don't consider him interesting enough to warrant a Wikipedia article, or even vandalism of it. I was simply wondering who thought he was noticeable enough to warrant one.
Old May 9, 2017, 8:26 am

I was simply wondering who thought he was noticeable enough to warrant one.
Expect Brian Kelly to put this duty on one of his intern's to-do list so he can have one as well.

Last edited by Astrophsx; May 9, 2017 at 8:53 am
Old May 9, 2017, 2:18 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

I cared enough to look and it seems like some FT critics of the blog have let it rip on that page. The critical memes seem to be from this thread.

I didn't care enough to look into its creation and editing history, but it seems to now have elements of being a promotional puff piece -- amongst other things.
Old May 9, 2017, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I didn't care enough to look into its creation and editing history, but it seems to now have elements of being a promotional puff piece -- amongst other things.
There's quite a few articles of people (and businesses) that are that way. Again, I simply don't think Ben is noticeable enough to warrant one anyway.
Old May 9, 2017, 4:12 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
There's quite a few articles of people (and businesses) that are that way. Again, I simply don't think Ben is noticeable enough to warrant one anyway.
I agree on both points.

Anyway, whenever someone mentions editing Wikipedia it always makes me think of this

Been browsin', inspectin'
X-men comics you know I collect them
Pens in my pocket I must protect 'em
My ergonomic keyboard
Never leaves me bored
Shoppin' online for some deals on writable media
I edit Wikipedia

Old May 9, 2017, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Is that not starting another "post-war"?
No it's not because I won't aimlessly engage in a merry-go-round dialogue. Him and I had a long post-war some months ago. That's what I was referring to. I have said what needed to be said on this matter as it is right now.

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Would be nice to see people being more respectful of each other.
Sound advice. Let's start (being more respectful) with the named subject of this thread, shall we?

Astrophsx, I don't know if at any point you saw Ben's Wiki page last night. Some of the stuff wasn't funny and it has now been edited out for better or for worse. I said what I said because I found the Wiki content last night to be demeaning, disrespectful, unnecessarily personal and insulting. And I agree having a negative opinion or critical feedback of Ben doesn't make one jealous of him, however, some people go overboard into the 'getting personal' and 'hateful'
line over and over again any chance they get. I'm sure you can probably agree that that's crossing a line. And really though, you don't find it a least bit odd that a certain FT'er took personal offense to my post last night? Someone who wasn't even vaguely mentioned in my post?
Old May 9, 2017, 5:39 pm

Programs: *G, oneworld Sapphire
Why does Lucky even have a Wikipedia page in the first place?
Old May 9, 2017, 8:41 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10

Get a life.

Get a job.

Build your own future.

Stop your jealousy.

Grow up
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Amen ^

I haven't looked at the wikipedia page much less the historical edits, but it does strike me that if Ben had taken that advice when he started posting on FT and then writing a blog he wouldn't be where he is today.

And if more people took that advice we wouldn't have Wikipedia today. Or FlyerTalk. @:-)

Discouraging people to be interested in whatever they want and write about it on the Internet about it is the antithesis of what the Internet is all about.

<shrug>
Old May 9, 2017, 8:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kokonutz
I haven't looked at the wikipedia page much less the historical edits, but it does strike me that if Ben had taken that advice when he started posting on FT and then writing a blog he wouldn't be where he is today.

And if more people took that advice we wouldn't have Wikipedia today. Or FlyerTalk. @:-)

Discouraging people to be interested in whatever they want and write about it on the Internet about it is the antithesis of what the Internet is all about.

<shrug>
That doesn't have the slightest semblance of sense.
Old May 9, 2017, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LeaveYourDailyHell
Why does Lucky even have a Wikipedia page in the first place?
Because anyone can create a Wikipedia page on anything, and unless it comes to the attention of the sitewide editors, it stays up. Only when the editors decide the article's subject isn't noteworthy enough would the article be deleted (assuming outright fraud hasn't been perpetrated). If I wanted to create a Wikipedia page on my internet alter ego (aka TheBOSman), I could. If I wanted to create a Wikipedia page on the man behind the handle, I could. I'm just not notable enough to likely have my article stay active.
Old May 9, 2017, 8:56 pm
Suspended

... If I wanted to create a Wikipedia page on my internet alter ego...
Hmmmmmmmm, maybe I need one.
Old May 10, 2017, 1:42 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Ladies and Gentlemen, dear Kids,
please stick to the discussion topic at hand and don't comment on any members posting in this thread. Plenty of things to read and do on the internet, move on.

12 posts containing OT personal commentary and response thereto deleted. If these happened to contain a valid point that was relevant to the thread topic, they went down the tube too.

Regards Oliver2002
Mod EM&PR forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.