Reload this Page >

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2017, 2:57 pm

Hate the guy, love the guy...he's right on in this post: http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...-employee-say/
Old May 5, 2017, 4:18 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
Hate the guy, love the guy...he's right on in this post: http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...-employee-say/
While horrible! THAT'S the most screwed up thing he's heard an airline employee say!?

Well I guess that makes sense since he's always getting first class and/or blogger class treatment.

I've seen employees make up all kinds of crap to justify their capricious decisions.

Shrug.
Old May 5, 2017, 4:25 pm
Suspended

Agreed.
Old May 5, 2017, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by kokonutz
While horrible! THAT'S the most screwed up thing he's heard an airline employee say!?
Yes. It replaced "Sir we have run out of Krug" .
Old May 6, 2017, 7:41 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Totally agree (hey even a stopped clock is right twice a day!). I think these incidents are bringing to light what's become a pervasive problem with flight crews going on unreasonable power-trips, lacking common sense, and being unable to handle problems/conflict in a productive and professional manner.

Seems like a lack of real customer service and conflict resolution training - coupled with low standards in hiring FAs and dwindling competition among carriers.

But it also feels like another source of blame is the almost war-like mentality and fear that we've allowed to control the world of airline travel in the US (and arguably many other areas of our life). And it's given too many airline employees a vision of themselves as the aircraft's policeman...and not the Sheriff Andy Taylor type of cop, but the "Robocop" kind.

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Yes. It replaced "Sir we have run out of Krug" .
OK I still have to laugh at this! Good one!
Old May 6, 2017, 12:18 pm

I was invited for two complimentary nights to explore the resort and its facilities while in Nizwa. This post is not a review, but simply showcases the different room types, activities and dining options. All opinions expressed are my own, and I have not been paid to say or publish anything about the resort.

So basically this is a free advertisement in return for two free nights? I thought that Lucky no longer allowed this on his blog? The last I can remember is the SPG all stars thing.

At one point, this Omani man invited us into his home for Arabic coffee with dates and oranges. He didn’t speak a word of English, but was friendly and curious. I love sharing moments like these with locals when I travel.

Part of the hotel's activities is touring small cities on foot that are close by. What would have happened if he had held his boyfriend's hand while meeting this "local"? Does the hotel caution LGBT travelers on certain things when arriving at the hotel? I've read some fairly negative things about Oman in that respect.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...medium=Twitter
Old May 6, 2017, 1:03 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
I was invited for two complimentary nights to explore the resort and its facilities while in Nizwa. This post is not a review, but simply showcases the different room types, activities and dining options. All opinions expressed are my own, and I have not been paid to say or publish anything about the resort.

So basically this is a free advertisement in return for two free nights? I thought that Lucky no longer allowed this on his blog? The last I can remember is the SPG all stars thing.

At one point, this Omani man invited us into his home for Arabic coffee with dates and oranges. He didn’t speak a word of English, but was friendly and curious. I love sharing moments like these with locals when I travel.

Part of the hotel's activities is touring small cities on foot that are close by. What would have happened if he had held his boyfriend's hand while meeting this "local"? Does the hotel caution LGBT travelers on certain things when arriving at the hotel? I've read some fairly negative things about Oman in that respect.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...medium=Twitter
"This is not a review, just my description and opinions."
Yet note that the web address is "anantara-al-jabal-al-akhdar-resort-oman-review"

Also note this was Daniel, not lucky. I don't know if he has a boyfriend.
Old May 6, 2017, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by Adam1222
Yet note that the web address is "anantara-al-jabal-al-akhdar-resort-oman-review"

Also note this was Daniel, not lucky. I don't know if he has a boyfriend.
Photo of his travel "partner" is in the review showcase.

You are right though. They could just be best buds sleeping in the same king sized bed separated by pillows (the explanation Lucky used in his early reviews when traveling with a male companion).

I would just worry that A) The hotel didn't do it's research on who they were inviting, or B) Other LGBT travelers deciding to stay at these resorts after reading the articles might be treated completely different based upon their sexual orientation.
Old May 6, 2017, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Photo of his travel "partner" is in the review showcase.

You are right though. They could just be best buds sleeping in the same king sized bed separated by pillows (the explanation Lucky used in his early reviews when traveling with a male companion).

I would just worry that A) The hotel didn't do it's research on who they were inviting, or B) Other LGBT travelers deciding to stay at these resorts after reading the articles might be treated completely different based upon their sexual orientation.

they probably did do their research and know that things like that would never have an impact on a "not-review" on that site. Remember, Ben has said before that his travel to the Maldives is his way of showing Maldivians that (white, conspicuously consuming, privileged, immensely unaware, socially awkward, American, under 30) gays are great.

This is one reason why I don't have as much moral disgust of Brian as I do Ben. Brian no longer talks about his own travels much, which he couldn't in good conscience desexualize to the degree Bankrate would want to sell to the unsavvy "travel for freeeeee" masses.
Old May 6, 2017, 4:32 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Wonder if he actually typed that with a straight face?
Old May 6, 2017, 5:27 pm

I would leave a comment if I could on OMAAT, but it seems I've been banned. I think Lucky said early this year he would start doing that for people going over the line, but I tend to keep any comments constructive.
Old May 7, 2017, 2:42 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Wonder if he actually typed that with a straight face?
This kid doesn't know that descriptions and opinions are a review. What a .......lol the word I chose, which I thought was harmless, was auto deleted when I posted. So feel free to choose a word yourself. Impressed with FT IT dept.

Last edited by cruisr; May 7, 2017 at 2:45 am Reason: Comment of deleted word
Old May 7, 2017, 7:03 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
filler posts are always needed before selling the card de jour, the Hyatt card. When it did not pay bloggers it would not get much mention. When it starts paying bloggers, it is rediscovered and sold HARD. Just like the Citi Prestige was

Nobody invites me to spend a night in a hotel for my opinions, sad!

Last edited by gpapadop; May 7, 2017 at 7:09 am
Old May 7, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by gpapadop
filler posts are always needed before selling the card de jour, the Hyatt card. When it did not pay bloggers it would not get much mention. When it starts paying bloggers, it is rediscovered and sold HARD. Just like the Citi Prestige was

Nobody invites me to spend a night in a hotel for my opinions, sad!
I'm not entirely sure why anyone would invite the barely 19 year old Daniel.
Old May 7, 2017, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
I'm not entirely sure why anyone would invite the barely 19 year old Daniel.
Well it looks like he might be back at it again accepting another free hand out and calling it a review:

I like that they choose to go into underserved markets, as opposed to launching flights to destinations where they have half a dozen competitors. Last year, the airline announced new flights to San Diego, New Orleans and Pittsburgh. The first two just launched this past week, and I had the pleasure of joining one of the inaugural flights.

... I’ll be posting my review of the flight in Condor Business Class shortly, so stay tuned for that.

Will be interesting to see if he was invited or paid for his own ticket. Sounds like he was given a free ticket saying he had "the pleasure" of flying with them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.