Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2020, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by GUWonder
It sounds like email for spam/junk folders or junk that just mostly remains unread in inboxes.
Most of us have bigger readerships via email than we have in terms of page views. It is also totally separate - most of my email readers never visit the site. We email our stuff very early morning and it is required reading on the rail commute into London!
Old Jan 10, 2020, 1:50 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Raffles
Most of us have bigger readerships via email than we have in terms of page views. It is also totally separate - most of my email readers never visit the site. We email our stuff very early morning and it is required reading on the rail commute into London!
But that is only possible if you provide the full content. Most Titan only provide teaser headlines and invite you to read the rest on their blog.
84fiero likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 11:44 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Oh dear:

https://twitter.com/OneMileataTime/s...83755422941191

The email lists are one of the biggest assets of a blogger as it defines the audience...
MailChimp seems like a good idea from the sender's view, but it's a nightmare on the recipient's end. I've used MailChimp as both a sender and a recipient.

As a sender, MailChimp lets you upload/add a list of email addresses you want to send to, so you can fire off an email from MailChimp and it will automatically email all of the recipients on that list. What MailChimp doesn't do is perform maintainance on your list. That is up to the sender. The big issue is that if you're not a large company, and you're just sending out a newsletter or something, some people may hit the reply button and ask to be removed, and you may or may not receive the email with the request. It pisses people off, especially the non-tech-savvy folks who can't figure out how to get your emails to stop. You'd have to include your own unsubscribe link in the email, and have a server to capture these requests to either remove them manually, or have a script do it automatically.

As a recipient, MailChimp is one of the largest email distribution services used by spammers. (another notable one is SendGrid). MailChimp sucks when trying to contact them for spam complaints. If I forward the spam email to their abuse address, they ignore it and the spam keeps coming. If I fill out their webform, I get an automated response, and then a 50/50 chance of whether they'll actually crack down.

Eventually MailChimp does crack down because they want to keep their mail servers off the public spam blocklists (like Spamhaus). I think Lucky's problem was that either he/his team either didn't spend enough time (if any at all) purging emails when people unsubscribe. You know how when you unsubscribe from an email list, they give you some absurd "Please allow 7-10 days to take effect" message? That is basically a courtesy request for time for the webmaster/list manager to purge your email from the list manually. People are NOT obligated to honor the 7-10 days (the CAN-SPAM Act does not require this), and can start reporting all future emails from them as spam. MailChimp, despite their lethargic response, will usually crack down (whether the sender is sending legitimate emails or not) if they receive multiple complaints as it's in their best interest to stay off public spam blocklists.
fartoomanyusers and 84fiero like this.

Last edited by diburning; Jan 10, 2020 at 11:49 pm
Old Jan 12, 2020, 9:43 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta PM
I've had MailChimp for 5+ years for a small mailing list (less than 500). It's the free version and it supports automatic unsubscribes.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 10:06 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
I haven't visited the site in a year or two now, but when I did OMAAT would delete any comment that referenced the site's founder no longer being welcome to participate in United MileagePlus.

Edit: For context, this post was moved from the "What blogs censor comments" thread to this one.

Last edited by Beltway2A; Feb 20, 2020 at 4:16 am
Old Feb 17, 2020, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
I haven't visited the site in a year or two now, but when I did OMAAT would delete any comment that referenced the site's founder no longer being welcome to participate in United MileagePlus.
Glad to hear that. OMAAT is a privately owned blog and as such, OMAAT doesn't need to tolerate such commentary. Those who were around and active in this scene 5-7 years ago, already know what happened with all that. And it is my opinion that his 'new readers' should be spared the nitty gritty walk-down-the-memory-lane, which has no purpose, other than to make OMAAT look bad.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 2:58 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
Glad to hear that. OMAAT is a privately owned blog and as such, OMAAT doesn't need to tolerate such commentary. Those who were around and active in this scene 5-7 years ago, already know what happened with all that. And it is my opinion that his 'new readers' should be spared the nitty gritty walk-down-the-memory-lane, which has no purpose, other than to make OMAAT look bad.
OMAAT can do whatever they want. I just find it hilarious that anyone who tried to reply to the "Why don't you credit [insert Star Alliance product being discussed] to United?" question that always appeared in *A review would always gets blocked/deleted. Very Trumpian.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ben deletes any comments that highlight his climate crimes and continued hypocrisy over Trump and various left wing issues such as gay marriage; women’s exploitation-completely ignoring the biggest “left wing” issue of our time-the climate emergency.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 7:01 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
Last I saw some comments about his United ban pop up was a few months back, when Lucky opened the door to it himself. He was on his sanctimonious soap box about the ongoing AAdvantage shutdowns, lamenting the supposedly unethical behavior and slamming the folks who were locked/shutdown. Aside from the fact that he didn't have all his facts straight and that the AA situation is more nuanced than some have portrayed it, his words were basically the same type of criticism that people have had of his United fraud. He shouldn't have been surprised that people called out his hypocrisy.

I'm not sure why a new reader can't make up their mind about an author's character and credibility any more than a longtime reader.

Of course he is free to delete comments on his business website - and others are free to discuss his business on other venues if they like.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 10:20 am

Can someone give me a very short summary on his United problems?
Old Feb 20, 2020, 10:36 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by jamesinclair
Can someone give me a very short summary on his United problems?
The best information available suggests that he discovered a way to use customer service vouchers multiple times, and did so. United discovered this. He was suddenly no longer doing trip reports on United.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Adam1222
The best information available suggests that he discovered a way to use customer service vouchers multiple times, and did so. United discovered this. He was suddenly no longer doing trip reports on United.
I feel like this is something he should disclose. It helps to explain why he keeps flying AA so much.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 12:43 pm

I feel like this is something he should disclose. It helps to explain why he keeps flying AA so much.
Well he also "lives" in Miami now. I believe the UA stuff happened while he still lived with his parents. I believe it's alluded to in the Rolling Stone puff piece from a few years ago.

EDIT: Yup, here it is https://www.rollingstone.com/culture...or-free-43961/
Old Feb 20, 2020, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Adam1222
Well he also "lives" in Miami now. I believe the UA stuff happened while he still lived with his parents. I believe it's alluded to in the Rolling Stone puff piece from a few years ago.

EDIT: Yup, here it is https://www.rollingstone.com/culture...or-free-43961/
Interesting article.

This is the relevant bit:
During his senior year, he carelessly bragged to a New York Times travel reporter that he had amassed more than $10,000 in bumping vouchers. A few weeks later, Schlappig says, just before his last college final exam, in April 2011, he received a certified letter from United, cheerily informing him that because he had taken advantage of the system his frequent-flyer account was permanently suspended. He was banned from flying, he recalls the letter saying, unless he paid the company $4,755 — the amount it claimed as losses through Schlappig’s techniques.
It doesnt sound like he broke the rules though.

Its also interesting to compare what the article says he does:

Exploiting mistakes in ticketing algorithms and learning the ins and outs of the frequent-flyer programs airlines had created after deregulation in the late 1970s. The second leg of the game is credit cards — collecting and canceling as many as possible, and deploying a series of tricks to reap the reward points that bank-and-airline-card partnerships would virtually give away. As he delved deeper, Schlappig learned about a third level, a closely guarded practice called Manufacture Spend, where Hobbyists harness the power of the multitudes of credit cards in their pockets.
To what he does now, which is mostly pay cash using revenue from affiliate links and his husband's job.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 2:05 pm

Interesting article.

This is the relevant bit:
It doesnt sound like he broke the rules though.

Its also interesting to compare what the article says he does:

To what he does now, which is mostly pay cash using revenue from affiliate links and his husband's job.
What the article says and what actually happened are not necessarily one and the same. You can go back to the discuss of this article from five years ago in this thread.
Markie likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.