Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2020, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by g2gtrading
Isn't it the same thing ?

Let's say I'm "managing" a bunch of accounts and Client "A" needs Marriott point but has a ton of Alaska points, But Client "B" needs Alaska points and has a ton of Marriott points..... is that part of a "service" ? or is that "brokering" ?.
I believe that the award booking service is more like a travel agent. They will search for award ticket availability within a set of parameters/requirements you give them. The customer then pays, with their own miles, for the ticket. They of course ask a cash fee for their services. They don't actually manage people's accounts.

It just saves people the time navigating the confusing world of award tickets in exchange for money. Which seems fair enough to me.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by oliver2002
VFTW and OMAAT both have award booking services, neither of them are mileage brokers.
More like award booking scams. OMAAT's requests are handled by Ben's spouse who has no airline experience, he just follows Ben around and even Ben has never worked for a real company, let alone an airline.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As someone who used Ben's service maybe eight years ago, he did not try to sell me someone else's miles, did get me a good deal with a partner airline of where my miles were at the time, and charged a reasonable fee. I was pretty inexperienced back then, but looking back at his service now having done myself many, many times since, I can say that he did right by me.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 5:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Rambol
I believe that the award booking service is more like a travel agent. They will search for award ticket availability within a set of parameters/requirements you give them. The customer then pays, with their own miles, for the ticket. They of course ask a cash fee for their services. They don't actually manage people's accounts.

It just saves people the time navigating the confusing world of award tickets in exchange for money. Which seems fair enough to me.
He's mentioned in many of his post promoting mileage purchases that some of the bonuses are targeted and he's seen several 50% bonuses in the accounts "he manages". If he's acting as a "travel agent", almost every state (including his home state of Florida) requires you to be licensed, bonded and insured... so that's a whole different can of warms.

"A seller of travel is any resident or nonresident person, firm, corporation or business entity that offers for sale, directly or indirectly, at wholesale or retail, prearranged travel or tourist-related services for individuals or groups, through vacation or tour packages, or through vacation certificates in exchange for a fee, commission or other valuable consideration. The term includes any business entity offering membership in a travel club or travel service for an advance fee or payment, even if no travel contracts or certificates or vacation or tour packages are sold by the business entity." See: https://www.fdacs.gov/Business-Servi...lers-of-Travel
Old Jul 28, 2020, 6:47 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
He's mentioned in many of his post promoting mileage purchases that some of the bonuses are targeted and he's seen several 50% bonuses in the accounts "he manages". If he's acting as a "travel agent", almost every state (including his home state of Florida) requires you to be licensed, bonded and insured... so that's a whole different can of warms.

"A seller of travel is any resident or nonresident person, firm, corporation or business entity that offers for sale, directly or indirectly, at wholesale or retail, prearranged travel or tourist-related services for individuals or groups, through vacation or tour packages, or through vacation certificates in exchange for a fee, commission or other valuable consideration. The term includes any business entity offering membership in a travel club or travel service for an advance fee or payment, even if no travel contracts or certificates or vacation or tour packages are sold by the business entity." See: https://www.fdacs.gov/Business-Servi...lers-of-Travel
Points Pros is a registered travel agency. If you can google that website, you can also google the Florida corporations lookup.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 7:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Adam1222
Points Pros is a registered travel agency. If you can google that website, you can also google the Florida corporations lookup.
Being registered as a corporation or an LLC is not the same as being licensed to do business in a specific trade. A seller of travel- which he meets the State of Florida's definition of, must register with the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer affairs. You can search for a licensed seller of travel here: https://csapp.800helpfla.com/cspubli...esssearch.aspx

So neither of his companies or himself personally is a licensed seller of travel in the state of Florida. Any further questions ?
Old Jul 28, 2020, 7:49 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Any further questions ?
Yeah....Chase Freedom Vs. Freedom Unlimited: Which Is Better?

#sameold
josephstern likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 8:25 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Being registered as a corporation or an LLC is not the same as being licensed to do business in a specific trade. A seller of travel- which he meets the State of Florida's definition of, must register with the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer affairs. You can search for a licensed seller of travel here: https://csapp.800helpfla.com/cspubli...esssearch.aspx

So neither of his companies or himself personally is a licensed seller of travel in the state of Florida. Any further questions ?
Yup. Did you look up all the individual employees of the company and any of their DBAs? If you did, you'd find an active license. (With zero complaints)
​​
but thanks for explaining your theory as to what regulatory requirements apply based on your speculation given an off-hand comment. I'm sure the FL AG's office will get right on it
Old Jul 28, 2020, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by zeer0
To be fair there's not much original content to post if he hasn't been taking any trips for months at a time. There's only so many covid articles he can publish that we haven't already seen everywhere else a million times.

That being said, the "word-by-word" recycling of credit card articles from 2 years ago is pretty annoying, especially the 4 or 5 Aspire articles in a row.
I think he needs the money or points.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by stuck720
I don't believe they were (or at least not all of them). Plenty of them wrote for a while and then dropped off the blog completely.

Where's the acqusation coming from? I haven't heard that rumor, and I assumed he was just charging clients and arm and a leg for planning + also getting them to sign up for credit cards.
[redacted]
Maybe he can't afford to pay those writers during the pandemic?
Old Jul 28, 2020, 8:57 pm
Suspended

Yup. Did you look up all the individual employees of the company and any of their DBAs? If you did, you'd find an active license. (With zero complaints)
​​
but thanks for explaining your theory as to what regulatory requirements apply based on your speculation given an off-hand comment. I'm sure the FL AG's office will get right on it
Show me, I have no problem admitting if I'm wrong. This entire conversation was an argument on whether acting as manager or consultant of points falls into being a broker of miles/points. Another gentlemen pointed out his service is more like a travel agency, so I commented about the licensing for such businesses.

His company as mentioned on the bottom of his blog "One Mile at a Time is owned by PointsPros, Inc."- PointsPro Inc. is a FL Corporation with Ben being the sole owner/operator/officer. PointsPro Inc. is not registered as a Seller of Travel in the State of Florida. Period.

His website (pointspros.com) that specifically offers services that would constitute being a "seller of travel" under Florida law says on the bottom "PointsPros, Inc".

Digging deeper I discovered one other entity within the State of Florida searching by his name.

POINTSPROS TRAVEL SERVICES, LLC - Which was registered this January with Ben being the sole manager- is also not registered as a Seller of Travel in the State of Florida.

I also searched the State of Florida's Registered Sellers of Travel by his name personally, and found no such results.

Show me what I'm missing ?

I'm sure the FL AG's office will get right on it
Correct, the Attorney General's office wouldn't "get right on it." It would be the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Affairs. They would simply request he register as required and cease and desist until approved.

Last edited by flyertalker003967; Jul 28, 2020 at 9:04 pm
Old Jul 29, 2020, 2:23 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
I too can attest that his business of helping people find mileage availability with the points, and charging them a reasonable fee has been really great. He did right by me as well. Jimmy on his team was really helpful in helping me find some EY “Apartment” award availability when it first was introduced using AA miles to Australia.

I was never upselled, and it wasn’t a mileage broker that used someone else’s points. They help YOU redeem points YOU already have, but don’t know how to use or redeem.

Turning his blog into a grandstand of leftist propaganda is another story...

Last edited by NWplatinum; Jul 31, 2020 at 2:52 am
Old Jul 29, 2020, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NWplatinum
I too can attest that his business of helping people find mileage availability with the points, and charging them a reasonable fee has been really great. He did right by me as well. Jimmy on his team was really helpful in helping me find some EY “Residence” award availability when it first was introduced using AA miles to Australia.

I was never upselled, and it wasn’t a mileage broker that used someone else’s points. They help you redeem points you already have but don’t know how to use or redeem.

Turning his blog into a grandstand of leftist propaganda is another story...
I think you mean EY First Apartments... you can't use AA miles for EY's The Residence.

If you don't mind me asking, how much were you charged for finding award space using your miles? My colleagues have been very pleased using Global Award Guru but only for Business Class tickets since their fees for award First Class tickets are higher.
NWplatinum likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 5:19 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by fly747first
I think you mean EY First Apartments... you can't use AA miles for EY's The Residence.

If you don't mind me asking, how much were you charged for finding award space using your miles? My colleagues have been very pleased using Global Award Guru but only for Business Class tickets since their fees for award First Class tickets are higher.
The prices for the award booking service are listed on the pointspros website?

The best part? We only ask for a 50% deposit to start crafting your dream itinerary!
VFTW's 'book your award' service seems to be cheaper. And they have spent 4.5bn miles vs 1+bn by OMAAT
Old Jul 29, 2020, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oliver2002
The prices for the award booking service are listed on the pointspros website?

VFTW's 'book your award' service seems to be cheaper. And they have spent 4.5bn miles vs 1+bn by OMAAT
Thanks! Wow, those prices are insane... $300 for an award consultation with people who are just travelers without any experience? I can see why my colleagues opt for other companies like Global Award Guru that price depending on the class you are seeking. I wish there was a similar service for cruises!! My upcoming Mexico cruise has changed price so many times now it is hard to keep up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.