FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]
Old Aug 10, 2016, 2:32 pm
Adam1222

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by mikex163
Are you really comparing a guy that hacked into UA's systems to steal something and then sell it, to Ben, who did something (unethical and probably borderline illegal, that's for sure, but not "illegal enough" to be sued by UA) plenty of other folks were doing at the same time? You are really comparing the two cases? Really?
Yep! I am!
Except I don't think one was only "borderline" illegal. And I don't draw any conclusions from the fact that UA was not sued, as I don't know the facts of UA's settlement with Ben. Do you? If so, please share them! I do know, though, that the fact a lawsuit wasn't filed says little to nothing about how "illegal" the underlying conduct was.

I think it's not a far stretch to share a story about someone getting into legal trouble for manipulating a vulnerability in United's travel voucher system in a forum about a blogger who faced legal recourse for manipulating a vulnerability in United's travel voucher system.

Did I say they were the exact same thing? No. For one thing, the guy in the story I shared probably won't have a million dollar career premised on his amazing skills at flying cheaply. But as Ben's return to the friendly skies was discussed this week, I believe it was relevant to share.

Last edited by Adam1222; Aug 10, 2016 at 3:20 pm