Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Old Jul 29, 20, 8:00 am

As someone who previously used to do an award service as well as other similar flight searching kind of services, let me just say that it's not any specific "special" expertise that you're paying for - not to say that the huge learning curve of being an award expert like Ben or his colleagues is an easy feat, but it is more the time and energy required (or grunt work, if you will) involved in actually piecing together these itineraries, then booking them (sometimes manually by phone) that you're paying for. In some extreme cases, $300 is a very small price to pay for the luxury of pawning of all the workload to a third party.

Of course there are also much simpler award tickets bookable directly online - for these, the time savings and hence value generated by these services I would agree is a lot less. As with all these things, YMMV.
Adam1222 and mikex163 like this.
Old Jul 29, 20, 2:18 pm

Programs: AGR S, SPG PLT, MAR PLT, HGP Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
I wanted to use his award service once - Tiffany was pretty much useless in her reply and I ended up doing it myself. That doesn't appear to be a common thing, but I was pretty annoyed that I was ready to pay them for something I was sure I could do myself to avoid the constant checking and they were less than helpful.
Old Jul 31, 20, 2:58 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum, AS MVP75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire
Actually I have to be honest here, Iím no fan of all his political grandstanding on his blog thatís gotten kinda dumb, and way too political. But his mileage searching service for people who have no idea how to use them was really great. Shoutout to working with Jimmy Yoon (I donít know if he still works there) it was worth every penny. I believe I paid $100-300, it was a long time ago, maybe 2013, before I knew how to use all the different tools.

The guy used tools I didnít even know existed at the time, and was constantly on the prowl for what I wanted and requested and constantly kept me updated. If I got lazy, and had a ton of Amex points lying around I might use him again because of the positive experience.

Someone mentioned they had a bad experience with Tiffany. I second that, she gave me a bunch of bad options, didnít listen to what I requested, and didnít really seem like she cared that much. She never followed up with me. Jimmy was the best!
hugolover, mikex163 and safari ari like this.
Old Aug 2, 20, 2:34 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum, AS MVP75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire
Here he goes again recently yelling at people in the comments section who criticize him... itís gotten kind of embarrassing. Just ignore them like he use to...
hugolover likes this.
Old Aug 2, 20, 6:17 am

Programs: DL SM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by NWplatinum View Post
Here he goes again recently yelling at people in the comments section who criticize him... itís gotten kind of embarrassing. Just ignore them like he use to...
Given that another website has just gotten rid of comments, shrug
Old Aug 5, 20, 1:51 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Deleted

Last edited by joecool1885; Aug 5, 20 at 3:04 pm Reason: delete

Search this Thread
Search Engine: