Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Star Alliance Upgrade Award on EVA

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2019, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by godbreath
Any tricks on booking a one way B fare? I'm trying to go from SFO -> TPE -> CTS and there is Z availability on SFO -> TPE, but the agent can only get it priced on a Y fare unless its a round trip fare. Would I be able to put on a short flight in order to get it priced in B?
Consider HUCA (and recommend calling the Taipei office directly as some of the USA agents are totally incompetent IME). I've encountered situations where B is zero'd out, but It seems unlikely that an actual fare bucket (as opposed to a specific fare basis) would be available r/t but not o/w.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by gengar
Consider HUCA (and recommend calling the Taipei office directly as some of the USA agents are totally incompetent IME). I've encountered situations where B is zero'd out, but It seems unlikely that an actual fare bucket (as opposed to a specific fare basis) would be available r/t but not o/w.
Is calling that office a good idea if you can't speak Chinese?
Old Oct 28, 2019, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by STS-134
Is calling that office a good idea if you can't speak Chinese?
There is an English option (3) on the automated prompt when calling the Taipei office. All the phone agents I've been connected to have been at least what I'd consider competent at speaking English.
STS-134 likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Tried calling again and also to the Taiwan office. They are not able price it out in B. If I do a roundtrip segment online, each segment is $300 cheaper than the one way fare. Seems like B fare has a $50 cancellation fee. If I cancel the return after taking the outbound, would I be able to get the return segment fare price back, or will it be something less?
Old Oct 28, 2019, 7:54 pm

Tried calling again and also to the Taiwan office. They are not able price it out in B. If I do a roundtrip segment online, each segment is $300 cheaper than the one way fare. Seems like B fare has a $50 cancellation fee. If I cancel the return after taking the outbound, would I be able to get the return segment fare price back, or will it be something less?
I don't have any experience with BR on this - but even if they do allow a refund after the itinerary has been started, almost certainly they'll deduct the equivalent of the one-way fare for any travel completed.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Any tricks on booking a one way B fare? I'm trying to go from SFO -> TPE -> CTS and there is Z availability on SFO -> TPE, but the agent can only get it priced on a Y fare unless its a round trip fare. Would I be able to put on a short flight in order to get it priced in B?
It might not be possible. I picked a random day 11/13/19 SFO-TPE and did a couple of tests. EVA site only allows Y not B for a one-way. Used ExpertFlyer to get availability and found plenty of B but when using EF to find valid fares I find that EVA only filed B fares valid for round-trips, so if you wanted a one-way B fare you could not book one because it is not offered. You would have to book a round-trip to get a B fare. This seems to be common throughout the schedule and for the handful of cities I checked. I don't know if this is a temporary thing or the new normal. Hopefully it is temporary but who knows?
Old Oct 28, 2019, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
It might not be possible. I picked a random day 11/13/19 SFO-TPE and did a couple of tests. EVA site only allows Y not B for a one-way. Used ExpertFlyer to get availability and found plenty of B but when using EF to find valid fares I find that EVA only filed B fares valid for round-trips, so if you wanted a one-way B fare you could not book one because it is not offered. You would have to book a round-trip to get a B fare. This seems to be common throughout the schedule and for the handful of cities I checked. I don't know if this is a temporary thing or the new normal. Hopefully it is temporary but who knows?
I suppose the obvious answer to my earlier posts is that they can restrict all B fare basis to r/t fares, effectively making them unavailable for o/w tickets. That's unfortunate for o/w upgrades (which is mostly what I do, since purchasing RL o/w outright often represents a 50%+ premium).
Old Oct 28, 2019, 10:58 pm

I suppose the obvious answer to my earlier posts is that they can restrict all B fare basis to r/t fares, effectively making them unavailable for o/w tickets. That's unfortunate for o/w upgrades (which is mostly what I do, since purchasing RL o/w outright often represents a 50%+ premium).
So do you fly coach the other direction?
Old Oct 28, 2019, 11:57 pm

So do you fly coach the other direction?
I often pair with an award ticket to/from Japan.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 12:14 am

I often pair with an award ticket to/from Japan.
A very good strategy. Still possible with Y but the cost will be a bit higher.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 11:09 pm

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
1) The miles can come from any account.
2) SAUA is technically only for one segment, so by default upgrading each segment is how it works.

Keep in mind only Y/B/K is eligible on BR and there must be upgrade availability (consensus is Z bucket and availability is not listed online - must call into BR to check).
Again- Z does not guarantee SAUA.

Just tried to upgrade BR51 for 12/7. Experflyer showed 0 I space to TPE from all of the US gateway. Called BR in Taiwan to confirm that is the case. Was told Z is available (5 seats on BR51- only thing available). And SAUA failed.

Liked I said before- only when I class is present SAUA is guaranteed.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by krispykrme
Again- Z does not guarantee SAUA.
I've never stated that Z availability "guarantees" SAUA. In fact, I've often noted there are posts even from many years ago suggesting that BR may withhold upgrade inventory for own-program members.

However, consensus on this forum is that SAUA availability is most likely tied to Z bucket. That is simply undeniable given the numerous data points supplied by FT'ers.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 8:20 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus
I noticed that as well.

I am trying to upgrade my mom and dad on their flight TPE-IAH. I used SAUA to upgrade my dad to RL and failed. I used my mom's IML miles to upgrade herself and was successful.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 9:39 am

Yeah, Z inventory may occasionally be off but it is most reliable indicator we have that is available. I inventory has been shown to not correlate way more than Z (Z is a better indicator).

For those who checked Z then the upgrade failed, did you attempt to SAUA with more than one program (United and Aeroplan, for example, since UA's tool has been known to fail periodically)? Did you call after the failure to confirm Z was still available? Maybe it was removed?

Last edited by skimthetrees; Nov 19, 2019 at 9:45 am
Old Nov 19, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
Yeah, Z inventory may occasionally be off but it is most reliable indicator we have that is available. I inventory has been shown to not correlate way more than Z (Z is a better indicator).

For those who checked Z then the upgrade failed, did you attempt to SAUA with more than one program (United and Aeroplan, for example, since UA's tool has been known to fail periodically)? Did you call after the failure to confirm Z was still available? Maybe it was removed?
I have posted video before (at this chain). Yesterday I called before and after booking ticket for my mother in law from IAH. Z was available but no I can be found in expertflyer from any US gateway. Of course it failed, since no I.

the previous poster is correct.

if Z is available and Eva own upgrade will work. Just not SAUA. So far I had been only think that I found to be 100% working.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.