Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Star Alliance Upgrade Award on EVA

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by LowAltitudeFlyer
While this thread is primarily focused on using UA miles on a SAUA for EVA, can anyone confirm that all *A partners (Aeroplan, Avianca, Lufthansa, etc) have access to the same bucket of EVA upgradeable space as UA? For example, US-TPE requires only 25K Aeroplan miles (per their still-published chart) compared to UA's 30K, so if one needed to transfer CC points to an airline to book the upgrade, Aeroplan makes more sense. Avianca is another partner that requires 30K miles (per their still-published chart). The downside I see to this is in the event other *A members don't have the same availability, one is now stuck with 25K-30K points in Aero/Avianca/etc.
That is the way it is supposed to work. Most of the issues seem to be in the interface each partner has to the SAUA system. Periodically different partners may break access to the system from their site so even though technically each partner has access to the same space if one partners interface to the system is broken, like happens to United periodically, their system cannot access anything. It is usually a technical problem rather than a difference in award inventory.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 6:44 pm

I'm 48 hours before my flight and got a text saying it was time to check in, but when I tried to check in it said "You cannot check in if you have an upgrade reservation and have not completed deduction of your mileage."

Anyone know what this means? The miles were definitely deducted from my United account.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 7:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by giblet
I'm 48 hours before my flight and got a text saying it was time to check in, but when I tried to check in it said "You cannot check in if you have an upgrade reservation and have not completed deduction of your mileage."

Anyone know what this means? The miles were definitely deducted from my United account.
You cannot check-in upgraded tickets online - only at the ticket counter. I would caution to do the following, based on my multiple flights with BR:

1. bring a printed copy of the upgrade receipt from United - I've been asked to show it in the past, although rarely
2. if you are traveling with someone else, I suggest checking in separately and having one person stand back out of sight and hold any larger/heavier carry-on bags. Some BR agents will weigh and measure carry-ons, and a laptop with a few odds and ends can exceed the limit. I've left my bags in the car, gone to the check-in counter for my boarding pass, and then gone back to the car to get the carry on bags. It's a hassle, but much less of a hassle than dealing with the odd overzealous BR agent who insists on checking a laptop
Old Sep 17, 2019, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
You cannot check-in upgraded tickets online - only at the ticket counter. I would caution to do the following, based on my multiple flights with BR:

1. bring a printed copy of the upgrade receipt from United - I've been asked to show it in the past, although rarely
2. if you are traveling with someone else, I suggest checking in separately and having one person stand back out of sight and hold any larger/heavier carry-on bags. Some BR agents will weigh and measure carry-ons, and a laptop with a few odds and ends can exceed the limit. I've left my bags in the car, gone to the check-in counter for my boarding pass, and then gone back to the car to get the carry on bags. It's a hassle, but much less of a hassle than dealing with the odd overzealous BR agent who insists on checking a laptop
Thank you for these tips. I'm surprised they are so rigid about carry-ons for RL pax. I'll be careful about not bringing too much!
Old Sep 23, 2019, 12:27 am

Anyone knows if I booked a PE for Eva fare class T, can I upgrade using my krisflyer miles into business?
Old Sep 23, 2019, 12:39 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by bjory
Anyone knows if I booked a PE for Eva fare class T, can I upgrade using my krisflyer miles into business?
No, only K is eligible as far as PE classes. SAUA-eligible classes on BR are the default Y/B and the BR-specific additional eligible fare class K.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by gengar
As mentioned in past posts, it is not possible to check Z availability online. It is necessary to call in to EVA.
Correct I called into the LA EVA Air customer service center. They know what I was referring to.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 4:43 pm

As mentioned in past posts, it is not possible to check Z availability online. It is necessary to call in to EVA.
Originally Posted by carlos.htx
Out of curiosity, how do you check the availability of the Z class? I just checked their website and did a mock booking and the lowest i found in business was D.

I also just booked my IAH-TPE flight for January and also got the dreaded "Inventory Not Available" message in the United app. Keep us posted when you get yours.

Thanks!
Will do! i just checked again today - T-13 days and still nothing. I suspect, if other data points are correct, the upgrades will open up around T-4 days.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by crownkingdomvision
Will do! i just checked again today - T-13 days and still nothing. I suspect, if other data points are correct, the upgrades will open up around T-4 days.
For straight awards the pattern used to be T-10, T-7, T-4 (and less), so check in those ranges. Not sure that it correlates to Z but it might.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 12:15 am

No, only K is eligible as far as PE classes. SAUA-eligible classes on BR are the default Y/B and the BR-specific additional eligible fare class K.
Thanks! Yes i was told that only Y/B is eligible for upgrades.
Even if I were to book in PE it is still not eligible to upgrade into business.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 12:28 am

Thanks! Yes i was told that only Y/B is eligible for upgrades.
Even if I were to book in PE it is still not eligible to upgrade into business.
PE class K is also eligible but it is the most expensive PE fare and almost always more expensive than Y or B so it does not make sense to purchase it if you are doing SAUA.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
PE class K is also eligible but it is the most expensive PE fare and almost always more expensive than Y or B so it does not make sense to purchase it if you are doing SAUA.
Actually, how do I go about it for the SAUA?
Do I purchase the economy ticket first in Y/B then request for upgrade or should I call Eva Air for this? Does anyone know if the upgrade is immediate?
Old Sep 24, 2019, 1:46 am

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Do I purchase the economy ticket first in Y/B then request for upgrade or should I call Eva Air for this? Does anyone know if the upgrade is immediate?
These questions have all been answered in this very thread.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 4:09 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
As noted, please read the thread and understand how SAUA works before proceeding. For further reference, the wiki in the following thread about SAUA on BR is specifically for using UA miles, but the procedure is similar: Steps to EVA upgrade w/ UnitedMiles

As always when upgrading using SAUA, the procedure should be:
  1. Confirm upgrade inventory availability;
  2. Book eligible fare class for upgrade;
  3. Apply SAUA via your FFP.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
For straight awards the pattern used to be T-10, T-7, T-4 (and less), so check in those ranges. Not sure that it correlates to Z but it might.
Thanks for the tip. I will check again at T-10 and will let you guys know!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.