Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2015, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: riced
Let's put this in a wiki post!
Please include: route; original class - new class; original price paid; final price; where the upgrade was obtained [via bid or at check-in]; month of flight.First Letter of your last name.
  • AUH-SYD and MEL-AUH, J-F both at $1250 AUD.
  • NRT-AUH Y-J $950USD or ¥110,000JPY offered at check in.
  • AUH-DEL AU$150
  • IST-AUH AU$400.
  • JFK-AUH Y-J US$1,400 at check-in.
  • JFK-AUH Y-J US$1,180.
  • AUH-JFK Y-J US$1,150 (March 2015).
  • JFK-AUH Y-J US$1,100 (April 2015)
  • AUH-GRU J-F AED2575 (€650; US$700) minimum upgrade bid accepted (April 2015)
  • SYD-AUH J-F A380 US$1,050 $50 above min bid. (October 2015)
Print Wikipost

Offered a paid upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2012, 2:23 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by csdf
I get the lounge access anyway*, and I take carry-on baggage only. Do PlusGrades qualify for tier miles in the upgraded cabin?

* In AUH. There's no EY lounge access in RUH, which sucks.
Didn't notice your status. In your situation I'd do the same, then.

Tier miles are a weird one. Officially the line is that upgrades from Y to J get a 10% cabin bonus, and from J to F gets a 60% cabin bonus (10% more than you'd get for flying J).

My experience, however, differs from that as on a recent plusgrade from J-F on AUH-LHR I was given the full 100% Diamond Zone tier bonus.

I guess the answer is therefore "expect 10% on Y-J, but you might get 50%".
Old Sep 7, 2012, 2:24 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Out of interest, has anyone NOT got the upgrade after making a Plusgrade offer?
Answered my own question today; me.

Made an offer (£500) for a Y-J upgrade from LHR-AUH which was refused. Interesting, as I paid less than that for my AUH-LHR J-F upgrade last time. Oh well, I guess I get to experience the Y product!
Old Sep 9, 2012, 5:24 am

Programs: EY Platinum
I've been offered an upgrade on an AUH-LHR leg in December. The minimum bid is £410, which is decent if not exceptional value.

I ended up springing for the AUH-RUH upgrade, merely to see if I get the miles/tier points. I offered the minimum and won the bid.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 6:21 am

I've been offered an upgrade on an AUH-LHR leg in December. The minimum bid is £410, which is decent if not exceptional value.

I ended up springing for the AUH-RUH upgrade, merely to see if I get the miles/tier points. I offered the minimum and won the bid.
Just keep in mind that coming the other way I bid £500 and didn't get it.

Flight was 100% full.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 2:58 am

Programs: EY Platinum
So it appears that instead of the usual 250 Guest Miles and 500 Tier Miles for the AUH-RUH route, the PlusGrade resulted in 0 Guest Miles and 0 Tier Miles. Which seems harsh.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 3:40 am

So it appears that instead of the usual 250 Guest Miles and 500 Tier Miles for the AUH-RUH route, the PlusGrade resulted in 0 Guest Miles and 0 Tier Miles. Which seems harsh.
I suspect an error here

E-mail them as you are eligible for a bonus, let alone 0 Miles !!!
Old Sep 10, 2012, 4:31 am

What did the T&Cs of the Plusgrade say? Mine always says you get 10% above the cabin you were originally booked into.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 5:26 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Gold
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
What did the T&Cs of the Plusgrade say? Mine always says you get 10% above the cabin you were originally booked into.
I have been upgraded twice in the month of August with Plusgrade. On both occasions the miles and bonus miles have not been credited to my account. I had to contact EG and alert them of this. They informed me that this is an ongoing problem they are having with the Plusgrade system. If you are successfully upgraded, a new ticket number is issued for that particular leg. EG assured me that the miles would be credited to my account and statement within ten days. This did not happen and cue more calls/emails. Both flights have since been credited, albeit nearly 4 weeks after the event.

So don't be alarmend by the 0 Tier and 0 Guest - just contact them.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 6:34 am

I was successful for the minimum bid of 555 AED from BEY - AUH yesterday. The flight the other way I did the same bid but it was not accepted.

Same as the above posters, no miles have been credited so have e-mailed them to see the response.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 5:23 am

Programs: Flying Blue Silver
AUH-BKK

Been offerend upgrade to business class AUH-BKK with minimum bid 350 €.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 5:36 am

Programs: DL-SM Silver, EY-Gold, HH
Flew last week AUH-KTM-AUH, bid the minimum for the return, USD 140, was not accepted. The cabin was half full.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt: Diamond. Marriott: Platinum. AA: EXP 1MM. Delta: Silver. Etihad: Silver. Emirates Silver
Anyone have any experience making or wining offers from Y to J on JFK-AUH or AUH-JFK?
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:54 am

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
My Plus Grade offer experiences:

DOH-AUH. Offered $50. Accepted. Confirmation received 5 days before flight. Cabin 4/12 full.
AUH-MLE: Offered $250: was declined - unable to upgrade (full cabin).
MLE-AUH: Offered $250: was declined - unable to upgrade (full cabin).
AUH-DOH: Offered $55 Accepted (confirmation received 24 hrs before flight). Cabin 3/12 full.

They must have variable availability windows as one upgrade was confirmed 5 days in advance.

Edit: I've had lots of challenges trying to get my AAdvantage miles to post for the upgraded segments. I've been in contact with Ethiad and AAdvantage and they are each pointing the other for credit. Two months after the flights and no luck so far despite 3 requests. 2 months later and still no luck getting any one to answer emails / post mileage.

Final Edit: I was never successful in getting the upgraded segments to post to AAdvantage. The fifth attempt had the miles incorrectly post to Etihad Guest (they found the account number themselves wth my wife's mileage never posting). The sixth request to have these miles removed and re-credited to AAdvantage has been ignored. I've given up.

Last edited by worldtraveller73; Mar 24, 2013 at 2:12 pm
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:35 am

Programs: Qatar Gold, Etihad Silver
Upgrade to Business

Ahu to Joburg £250 Accepted
JHB to AUH £250 Refused
Old Nov 12, 2012, 8:54 pm

Programs: EK Gold, BA Silver
Travelling AUH-LHR on 8 December in J - anyone know roughly how much they would charge to up to F? I did this from AUH-JFK last December and this cost about USD600 - well worth it for the length of flight!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.