Wiki Posts
Search

The EK Wine Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2018, 3:43 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by sydtogla
Makes a good mimosa if you can't stomach the champagne at 4am
With all due respect, if one can't stomach champagne at 4am what is that person doing flying EK? It's the whole point, isn't it?
thijsseh and DirtyDan like this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 1:10 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
With all due respect, if one can't stomach champagne at 4am what is that person doing flying EK? It's the whole point, isn't it?
I'm usually coming off the back of an ex-AU flight by which point I need to warm up to go again. The J progression of drinking from lounge to inflight to transit for me is: Champagne, wine (with dinner), port. Get on the plane; Champagne, cocktail, wine, port, whisky. Lounge in DXB: mimosa, wine (with meal) and whisky (with something to smoke). Then I usually sleep pretty well on the 2nd leg.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 4:58 pm

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Makes a good mimosa if you can't stomach the champagne at 4am
I never understood this, adding more acid to a drink for breakfast. It'd make it even less palatable for me!
Old Jan 24, 2018, 8:16 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by Metanoia
I never understood this, adding more acid to a drink for breakfast. It'd make it even less palatable for me!
Its just to cut down the ABV a bit to recover for the next leg!
Old Jan 24, 2018, 8:47 pm

Its just to cut down the ABV a bit to recover for the next leg!
I get you... my favorite is passion orange guava on AS flights with the prosecco (no Veuve on AS )

I learned my second ULH with EK that 16 hours of dehydration is rough and that it's best to slow it down a bit after dinner...
Old Jan 24, 2018, 11:55 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
I'm usually coming off the back of an ex-AU flight by which point I need to warm up to go again. The J progression of drinking from lounge to inflight to transit for me is: Champagne, wine (with dinner), port. Get on the plane; Champagne, cocktail, wine, port, whisky. Lounge in DXB: mimosa, wine (with meal) and whisky (with something to smoke). Then I usually sleep pretty well on the 2nd leg.
I can imagine that...... I would be out for the count as they say (I like a drink, but am not a heavy drinker). Not too sure how I would feel on waking up. On an A380 in F the shower would certainly be needed.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 1:27 am

1985 Ducru in the J (B) lounge near the Champagne bar. Not sure how much they have left but two partials open, come and get it!

Old Feb 24, 2018, 1:41 am

Programs: AF/KL BA GF EK EY LH QR
1985 Ducru in the J (B) lounge near the Champagne bar. Not sure how much they have left but two partials open, come and get it!
How is the Ducru? Have had it on the F wine list but it hadn't been loaded...

Can see it's on the list again for my flight ex-JNB tomorrow.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by XXTSGR

Don't know yet since I have to get some work done, giving myself until 13:15 and I'll let y'all know!
Old Feb 24, 2018, 1:46 am

Don't know yet since I have to get some work done, giving myself until 13:15 and I'll let y'all know!
^ so there's actually no Ducru left on display at the moment
Old Feb 24, 2018, 2:42 am

Nose of tobacco, menthol, almonds, a bit oxidized. Surprisingly little fading around the edges for such an old wine. On the palate initially a little flabby, dark fruit but then the acid comes back and lingers through a long slightly cedary finish. My guess is the bottle has been open for a while so it’s not showing quite as well as say 30 mins. after opening. I got the last third of the bottle. I’d say the 2012 Amuse Bouche is still my fave EK wine. And the Kapcsandy Endre.
XXTSGR likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 3:05 am

Programs: EK Gold / IHG Plat Elite / BA Gold
Originally Posted by XXTSGR

Had it last week on the JHB flights. Make sure you ask them for a carafe. Not sure if the carafe thing is recent as never been offered it before but it was a great addition to just have a carafe of the Ducru to enjoy in your own time without having to ask for topups. Then again they left me a bottle and a carafe so I was a happy man! Enjoy!
Old Feb 24, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Nose of tobacco, menthol, almonds, a bit oxidized. Surprisingly little fading around the edges for such an old wine. On the palate initially a little flabby, dark fruit but then the acid comes back and lingers through a long slightly cedary finish. My guess is the bottle has been open for a while so it’s not showing quite as well as say 30 mins. after opening. I got the last third of the bottle. I’d say the 2012 Amuse Bouche is still my fave EK wine. And the Kapcsandy Endre.
the ducru 85 was better than the 86, the amuse Bouche wins - the best wine I’ve had on EK along with the pavilion rouge Margaux
Old Feb 24, 2018, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by cois
Had it last week on the JHB flights. Make sure you ask them for a carafe. Not sure if the carafe thing is recent as never been offered it before but it was a great addition to just have a carafe of the Ducru to enjoy in your own time without having to ask for topups. Then again they left me a bottle and a carafe so I was a happy man! Enjoy!
Great - hope it'll be on my flight ex-JNB tomorrow.

Carafes have been a great addition in F!
Old Feb 24, 2018, 6:55 am

^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.